Rattle Fix - Upper Door / Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pics to demo the rattle repair! I just applied the foam tape and the rattle/creaking is gone. we should open a "bay" in the 3G TL Garage just for rattle fixes. I have isolated and fixed 5 or 6 rattles since purchasing my TL in Dec. '04. Only 8800 mi. Car is great, but too many interior integrity problems with the use of hard plastic and poor noise insulation.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Fixed my creaking around the front driver/pass. windows:

I've had this creaking for quite some time now .. and I could reproduce this creaking by pushing on the window when sitting in the front seat .. i'd hear the creaking all along the perimeter of the window. Then, when I stepped out of the car and pushed IN on the window.. i'd hear the creaking coming from the exterior rubber weather stripping. I therefore decided to do the following, and it solved my problem:

(btw, i also have tint). I cleaned the inner painted metal door jam w/ soap and water.. and then waxed the entire area (the area that contacts the rubber trim of the door). Then I applied wax (carnuba) to the black rubber trim itself that contacts the metal of the door jam. It totally solved my problem .. perhaps this could help others that have had no luck.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Fixed my creaking around the front driver/pass. windows:

I've had this creaking for quite some time now .. and I could reproduce this creaking by pushing on the window when sitting in the front seat .. i'd hear the creaking all along the perimeter of the window. Then, when I stepped out of the car and pushed IN on the window.. i'd hear the creaking coming from the exterior rubber weather stripping. I therefore decided to do the following, and it solved my problem:

(btw, i also have tint). I cleaned the inner painted metal door jam w/ soap and water.. and then waxed the entire area (the area that contacts the rubber trim of the door). Then I applied wax (carnuba) to the black rubber trim itself that contacts the metal of the door jam. It totally solved my problem .. perhaps this could help others that have had no luck.
Good job. Although the first post was a good way to deal with this issue, in my opinion, it makes the rattle problem worse in a long run.

A week ago, I sprayed a gallon of silicon spray anywhere the door/window frame contact to the main frame. It's been about a week and all the rattle/creaking disappeared. I am sure they will come back though.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Cruisin'

The "Scrunch"?

I also own a Pilot, and participate in Hondapilot.org forums. Many guys on there had what was known as the "Scrunch". It was coming from the seals around the door and went....well...."Scrunch".

They tried lubing the seals, foam....many had seals replaced with newly engineered seals.

Others had success by adjusting the way the door was hung to relieve pressure on the seals.

I'm lucky...the "scrunch" never showed in mine. Also...the MDX forum discussed similar problems.

Could the Pilot "Scrunch" be the same you guys are working at on the TL?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the "scruntch" is the best way to describe the noise that is coming at least from my door seals...

It's sad... my previous TL-S did this too .. but not nearly as bad as my current TL. BTW... the wax i used to get rid of the scruntch only last a few days.. What about a clear teflon tape? Does such a product exist?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro

well i finally decided to do this after quite some time of this annoyance that was always near my ear as well as on the passenger side. it was a bit hard to get the piece loose from the trim, but i got it and inserted a long strip of thick foam tape. Putting it all back together was even more of a hassle because i couldnt see were the piece clipped on to and it was most difficult at the corner of the window. i was getting really annoyed from this, as well as the fact that it was dark out and 5 Celsius. But i finally got it back on properly, took it for a test drive and all i could hear was the beautiful engine purr. Im so happy!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:15 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by s54

Using the fix in this thread I tried to eliminate the popping noise from the driver's/passenger side headliner, but could not fix it. Today I went to the dealer, which has worked on this same issue five times, and they told me they have done everything they could, including taking apart the b-pillar, removing the headliner and calling Acura TechLine. Now they want to bring in the regional rep to see if he can fix it.

S
for those of you who has "headliner" noise issue, have you actually apply armor-all to sunroof rubber seal? if not, please try that. when i first got my car more than a year ago, i heard "headliner" pop-pop sound it turned out to be the sunroof rubber. applied armor-all (it's silicon based) and it went away since. let us know.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:15 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sometimes, I can hear some noise from rear roof, i dunno if it is from the read door trim...
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Cruisin'

Regarding the noise from around the front windows....

I solved my problem 18 months ago by "massaging" the inside plastic trim with a damp rag. As I applied pressure while wiping the trim, I could hear the cracking noises that were coming from the area, which subsided while I was performing the wiping. This process seems to have mated the trim assembly a little better, and I have had NO noise from this area since. (18 months - 22,000 miles).

I actually stumbled upon this fix by accident, while detailing the interior. Might be a little easier fix to try before going the "remove & add felt" fix.

Good luck!
CC
Old 07-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
In this picture .. its the second one doen in his DIY .. is the back of the molding shown the hard molding that is sort of concave? The same moulding runs down the back of the door and the rubber moulding has tree clips that go through it?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
how did you guys remove the hard plastic trim?
i got under the rubber seal and pulled and it moved a bit but i didnt want to break anything so i stopped
is it held on by clips or something?

I was pulling HARD
Old 02-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Instructor

ok well i got it down lol

i didnt understand how it was held on

i put some felt under it but i still hear rattles
i have an 06 and inside it was really well greased up (maybe acura has been trying to fix it?)

took a drive and it still squeaks however
i tried putting some felt under the soft rubber in between the hook and it seems a bit better but i do still hear some sounds

sigh
wasn't the miracle fix i was looking for
but a bit better i guess

thanks
The following users liked this post:
tihomirbg (10-30-2013)
Old 04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Instructor

i'm not having luck with this fix either. i have an '06 TL, and have successfully fixed a passenger door panel rattle and 2 different speaker grill rattles. i still have an occasional steering column rattle (from loose wires, i would guess) and rear speaker rattle. for now the seatbelt rattle has subsided (maybe because winter is over?).

but the window rattle continues to drive me crazy. it's very hard to tell where it's coming from, but it's a rubber-contact 'shrefty' noise that seems to occur when the window is fully closed. it's worse with lateral movement of the car and on bumps. it's quiet, so that sometimes the radio can drown it out, and so that if i asked someone else if they heard it, they'd probably say no. but it's right in my L ear and it's making me insane.

i tried lubing with talcum powder, and i recently lined the plastic seal with double sided adhesive tape (leaving the paper on one side so it doesn't adhese). perhaps i will stop by home depot tonight for weather stripping and some silicon lube for one more try.

how many people who have attempted this fix have had luck eradicating the window rattle?

any other fixes?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Instructor

bump for any more fix idea... like drjoe said... it's very annoying... passenger might not heard it.. but it's right on my left ear
Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

There is am area right below the lock button .. push against that with your elbow.. I thought mine was up by my ear too but it wasn't . There is multipul panels the .. woodgrain .. black the likes .. it was those rubbing together as the car flexed .. I sprayed silicon spray inthere snd it went away .
Old 05-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Pro

I have been to the dealer THREE times to try get this fixed with no luck. THe dealer said the district manager from Acura might call me. I guess the dealer is not getting paid when its incompetent tech cannot fix the problem. WTF?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
There is am area right below the lock button .. push against that with your elbow.. I thought mine was up by my ear too but it wasn't . There is multipul panels the .. woodgrain .. black the likes .. it was those rubbing together as the car flexed .. I sprayed silicon spray inthere snd it went away .

Did you have to remove the woodgrain or just spray at the edge?
Thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by swoodle
Did you have to remove the woodgrain or just spray at the edge?
Thanks
Just liberally spray the edge .. another one I found is at the very top of the window frame.. when the window is up it distorts the frame amd compresses the rubber. I pulled the rubber away from the metaland sprated lithium grease in there and the creaking is gone.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Just liberally spray the edge .. another one I found is at the very top of the window frame.. when the window is up it distorts the frame amd compresses the rubber. I pulled the rubber away from the metaland sprated lithium grease in there and the creaking is gone.
do you mind taking pics? with some more detail?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JustinZ
do you mind taking pics? with some more detail?

I will first thing in the am..
Old 06-03-2007, 05:55 AM
Instructor

I will first thing in the am..
would be great!

gonna see if i can find some silcon spray today i guess, where did u get yours?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

would be great!

gonna see if i can find some silcon spray today i guess, where did u get yours?
I used white Lithium not silicone and I got it at Canadian Tire but I am sure Wally World ot the likes in the US will have it as will any auto parts store.

I fought with this creaking noise for a long time thinking it was plastic on plastic or plastic on metal or weather strip on metal and basically had the whole window frame tore apart and finally realized it was this area .. I pulled the rubber loose and sprayed liberally from the top rear corner to the mirror and just pushed the rubber back in place and used a little cleaner wax to clean up the finger prints.

What seems to cause this is when the window hits the top of the frame on shutting it pushes the top of the frame in distorting it and putting a lot of pressure on the rubber against the metal. It also distorts the door down in the door lock button area causing creaking issues there too. I don't know if the upper limits can be set so the window doesn't go as far up or not but I do know if I manage to get the window to go down even a 1/16" all the creaking stops.

Its a good idea to do it with the window down and drape an old blanket through the window and over the door cuz the grease can spray around a bit. Saves on cleanup.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Great post thanks!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Instructor

I think i bought the wrong type of grease lol
I went into Canadian Tire looking for 'jig-a-loo' found 4 different types and i ended up buying the red one because i saw a picture of a car on it

initially it didn't work; but i didn't put enough grease in there - i did it again with A LOT of grease and it worked like a charm.

I tried this before with 303 Aerospace spray - but i don't think i put enough of that either, you need A LOT

thanks!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I think i bought the wrong type of grease lol
I went into Canadian Tire looking for 'jig-a-loo' found 4 different types and i ended up buying the red one because i saw a picture of a car on it

initially it didn't work; but i didn't put enough grease in there - i did it again with A LOT of grease and it worked like a charm.

I tried this before with 303 Aerospace spray - but i don't think i put enough of that either, you need A LOT

thanks!
I think the can with the red top is the silicone spray .. I tried that and didn't work .. 303 won't because it has no lubricationg properties.

Glad I could be of help.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Instructor

I think the can with the red top is the silicone spray .. I tried that and didn't work .. 303 won't because it has no lubricationg properties.

Glad I could be of help.
ill pick up the white can if it starts rattling
thx
Old 06-07-2007, 03:31 AM
Instructor

silicone spray doesn't work. i don't know about what's in the white can -- it might.

on the other hand, gummi pfledge definitely does. thank god for gummi pfledge. i'm even getting closer to pinpointing the exact place (at least on my car) that requires lubrication/emulsion.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=window
Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by drjoe
silicone spray doesn't work. i don't know about what's in the white can -- it might.

I don't know where the word "might" comes in .. it "did" work .. and its OTC.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drjoe
i'm not having luck with this fix either. i have an '06 TL, and have successfully fixed a passenger door panel rattle and 2 different speaker grill rattles...
Can you elaborate on the speaker grill rattles? I have a rattle at the center speaker grill - right above the head unit. I can press down hard on the grill and the surround, and the rattle stops. But I need a permanent solution!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Instructor

just pop out the speaker grille with a small screwdriver -- be gentle, it's secured by plastic tabs. then get some weather stripping and pad the places where the speaker rests on the borders of the speaker cut out. that way when it bumps along, the rattling will be cushioned. took just a few minutes. good luck.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Instructor

I've also started hearing the left door/window rattle. Before I start ripping off the rubber, and spraying in various spots, are there any specific places to 'press down' on to try to suppress the rattle? I've tried pushing on just about every place around the window (across the top, and along the bottom, where the lock, wood trim, etc are) but I can't stop it.

My particular noise is a 'ticking' - click, tick ... just one or two sounds every second. Seems to be noticeable at high speeds. It seems to come from the top of the door. Many posts in this thread talk about putting foam/felt in the area behind the rubber. What exactly is it that is causing the noise? What is loose up there? I have tried lowering the window a fraction - raise fully, then drop just a touch - and it does reduce wind noise ... but no effect on the rattle.

I thought about getting a stethoscope, removing the end, and holding the end up to various parts of the door as I drive, in the hope of finding the source. Any other bright ideas?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Instructor

i was never able to pinpoint the exact source, and i often had fantasies about using a stethoscope. i did find that pressing on the rubber seals on the outside of the car made a similar sound, and that if you grab the window when it's half open and move it back and forth, it also makes the shrefty sound where it contact rubber (side and bottom). i think the source is all around on the various rubber sources -- if you compare the rubber to other cars, it's much softer -- no doubt better for silencing door slams, but at the expense of noisey friction with the glass. get the lube stuff and put it all around and see how that goes. it worked for me. it's also a bit of a non-issue in the 90 degree heat.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Instructor

I have a stethoscope coming tomorrow from a nurse friend!

When you say, "get the lube stuff and put it all around and see how that goes" - I presume you have to keep the lube stuff away from the glass, otherwise it would streak the glass? And Lithium is the preferred product, being the most inert?

Today, I fooled around with the door/window while driving. The 'base' of the window - starting at the lock plunger to the rear, moving all the way to the front - is set back a little from the glass, with a recessed piece of rubber making contact with the glass. I tweaked and twiddled with this 'base piece' all the way from front to back, and it seemed to make a difference. My current theory is that when the window goes up, it 'pulls' the rubber up with it a little and stresses it. By tweaking the base, the rubber 'relaxes' a bit, and is less likely to make noises as the door flexes and vibrates. This is just today's theory! I also noticed that the slightest touch in this area changes the amount of wind noise you can hear - very sensitve! This is an amazingly quiet setup!

But with many people posting in this thread that they removed the rubber and put felt/foam inside, I'm assuming there must be something loose inside the top section.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have a stethoscope coming tomorrow from a nurse friend!
it's good to see someone else getting driven mad by this! i definitely considered using a stethoscope, but what you really need is more of a tube with earpieces, without the diaphragm/bell of a stethoscope. be careful not to rip apart her stethoscope!

rather than going nuts trying to listen to the source of the sound when driving, play around with the window when stationary, experimenting at different window heights, and see if you can reproduce the sound.

When you say, "get the lube stuff and put it all around and see how that goes" - I presume you have to keep the lube stuff away from the glass, otherwise it would streak the glass? And Lithium is the preferred product, being the most inert?
the idea is to emulsify the rubber. my theory is that at certain temperatures, the rubber itself moves and creates the sound, which is amplified with glass contact and transmitted through the glass. that's why it's hard to pinpoint the noise -- it comes from all over.

when applying your emulsifier, there's bound to be some contact with the window. i didn't apply it to the bottom, so streaking wasn't a huge issue. the rubber at the bottom is coated with fuzzy stuff that makes contact with the glass -- i don't think it's especially noisey. concentrate on the top and sides. i used gummipflege. it worked.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=window

Today, I fooled around with the door/window while driving. The 'base' of the window - starting at the lock plunger to the rear, moving all the way to the front - is set back a little from the glass, with a recessed piece of rubber making contact with the glass. I tweaked and twiddled with this 'base piece' all the way from front to back, and it seemed to make a difference. My current theory is that when the window goes up, it 'pulls' the rubber up with it a little and stresses it. By tweaking the base, the rubber 'relaxes' a bit, and is less likely to make noises as the door flexes and vibrates. This is just today's theory! I also noticed that the slightest touch in this area changes the amount of wind noise you can hear - very sensitve! This is an amazingly quiet setup!

But with many people posting in this thread that they removed the rubber and put felt/foam inside, I'm assuming there must be something loose inside the top section.
i put felt-foam all over and it didn't really help. i don't think it's a question of anything being loose. it's just the nature of the rubber that's used. i'm telling you -- look at other cars -- no one else uses such soft stuff.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:41 AM
Instructor

The nurse friend is looking for an old stethoscope she can give to me, so I can rip off the end. She couldn't find it today, but is still looking. Can't wait .

OK - gummi pflege it is! Ordered online.

To confirm, did you apply to the window seals (glass to door) or the door seals (door to main body)? Were you able to avoid getting any of it on the glass, at the top? I was reading about the product and it seems it's very hard to get off the glass.

Today, I fooled with the wood trim on the door, as others have posted that it too causes noises (I drive 100 miles a day on boring freeways; it's either this or listen to music ). It certainly may be a factor.

I'm thinking now that the noise is more of a 'creaking' than a rattle - which fits your theory. When the window rolls up (very fast, compared to previous cars), it really 'hits' the top, and pushes down on the base. Lowering the window just a fraction relieves this stress, and even reduces wind noise just a touch; but it does not seem to stop this creaking.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Minor update; I searched for Gummi Pflege online, and found two vendors offering the product for around the same price of $7. But the first company - http://www.pakshak.com/1z-rubber-pro...ege-100ml.html - was charging $10 for shipping, while the second company - http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...GIFT40_pg3.htm - was only charging $5. On small orders like this, I've started to check on shipping charges.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Steerpike
Today, I fooled with the wood trim on the door, as others have posted that it too causes noises (I drive 100 miles a day on boring freeways; it's either this or listen to music ). It certainly may be a factor.

[/QUOTE]

You can eliminate the creaking at the wood trim (or carbon fiber depending on your car) by spraying with silicone. You need to spray at the joint between the vinyl door liner and the metal colored trim that borders the wood/carbon.

Another source of rattle is the fold-out storage compartments on the front doors. The compartments bear on the door liner in two places, one forward and one aft. The forward spot has a rubber bumper and I have not heard it rattle. The aft spot has a plastic nub that bears directly on the door liner. This spot can rattle/creak. The solution at that spot is to apply one of those little felt circles that are used on cabinet doors to make them quiet when they shut. Apply it to the door liner where the plastic nub on the compartment door rests when shut.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
I have an appointment with acura service on tuesday. every time I close my door I hear this clang sound. It's more prominate when I have the window down. This is very annoying and it should not be the case in a luxury sports sedan
Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by antlive
I have an appointment with acura service on tuesday. every time I close my door I hear this clang sound. It's more prominate when I have the window down. This is very annoying and it should not be the case in a luxury sports sedan
The crappy sound of the door closing with the window open is a known and (as far as I know) incurable problem on all TL's.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Instructor

The nurse friend is looking for an old stethoscope she can give to me, so I can rip off the end. She couldn't find it today, but is still looking. Can't wait .

OK - gummi pflege it is! Ordered online.

To confirm, did you apply to the window seals (glass to door) or the door seals (door to main body)? Were you able to avoid getting any of it on the glass, at the top? I was reading about the product and it seems it's very hard to get off the glass.

I'm thinking now that the noise is more of a 'creaking' than a rattle - which fits your theory. When the window rolls up (very fast, compared to previous cars), it really 'hits' the top, and pushes down on the base. Lowering the window just a fraction relieves this stress, and even reduces wind noise just a touch; but it does not seem to stop this creaking.
yep, it's a creak. i call it a "shreft" 'cause that's what it sounds like. the gummi pfledge comes in a bottle with a spongy applicator. i put it all around the rubber on both sides -- glass and metal contacts. some does get on the glass, but not much if you're careful. i can put up with a little streaking so long as there is silence.

Quick Reply: Rattle Fix - Upper Door / Window Trim