Radio Won't Power On after Jump-start (Not Asking for Code)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't ask for a radio/nav code

Check fuse #9, it's probably blown. It's a 15 amp fuse on the passenger side fuse bank under give compartment. Replace and check fuses 6&7 also. It's worked for mine.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear

Navi works radio don't

Originally Posted by vkanwar
Hi guys,

I'd appreciate some help on this. I have a 2006 Acura TL base model (non-navi).

I left my car parked for a week while away on vacation. When I got back and tried to turn the car on, I realized the battery had died.

I got some help from my dad to jump-start the car, but I don't think the way he did it was correct. First of all, he connected the +/+ like normal but he also connected -/-. However, I read in the manual afterwards that you are not supposed to connect the the - cable to dead battery but are supposed to ground it to the engine block. Anyways, the way my dad did it worked and my car was up and running.

However, after driving it around for a few minutes, I realized that the radio was not turning on. The climate control works fine and shows on the lcd screen, however pushing the power button for the radio does nothing. It doesn't even ask for a radio code. I'm not sure what could be causing this and would appreciate some suggestions.
mine was the same but first time my booklet came with a 4 digit code and when I entered it all started working but second time the back came on but the radio wouldn't thought I had the Honda radio disaster looked in my booklet and found out that radio has a 5 digit code separate from navi luckily I found that code in the booklet again and it started working this time using the radio 6 preset buttons. But for back otters 4 digit code using the turn knob.
Hope it helps
Old 02-25-2017, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear

Serial number

Originally Posted by Knjkav
mine was the same but first time my booklet came with a 4 digit code and when I entered it all started working but second time the back came on but the radio wouldn't thought I had the Honda radio disaster looked in my booklet and found out that radio has a 5 digit code separate from navi luckily I found that code in the booklet again and it started working this time using the radio 6 preset buttons. But for back otters 4 digit code using the turn knob.
Hope it helps
on acura you can push preset bottoms 1 and 6 Say the same time then push power and it should give you the serial number to the radio
Old 03-04-2017, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mseason
Hi,
I have on '07 tl with nav and had the same problem. I pulled fuse 7... After replacement the nav asked me for a code not the radio. Any other suggestions? My radio is still not turning on or asking me for the radio code. The red theft light is flashing....
marwansaad
Old 04-16-2018, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DGTC
I just got the same problem this past weekend on 2005 TL w/Navi. Had to get it jumped and afterwards the radio does not turn on. Pushing the volume button is trying to turn on the radio and it does nothing.

Anyone ever get to the bottom of this? Thanks.
did u ever fix the problem ?
Old 05-16-2018, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 Acura TL Base with Nav

My alternator died recently and in the process my car was jump started repeatedly. At one point the good samaritan accidentally swapped terminals on the jumper cables so they were reversed to the point the crappy jumper cables were starting to overheat and melt. Luckily I caught it quickly. Of course, I will be more careful in the future with "free help".

Anyways, I got my alternator replaced and now my radio won't power on at all. The big red flag was that the blinking anti-theft red light isn't even flashing on the radio.

I figured out the 20 amp Fuse #5 for the radio was blown. Replaced that fuse and now the radio works fine. (Had me worried for a second as I had never had to replace a fuse before.)

Thanks to the commenters who posted about blown fuses earlier in the thread!

Last edited by sparc; 05-16-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

I just worked on a 2004 with a dead radio, as well.
If none of the other suggestions are working, do a simple check to see if the cigarette lighters (power eecepticles) are working.
After I noticed they were dead, I traced power back to fuse 32 in the driver's kick panel. Labeled "ACC" .
Changing this blown fuse, restored the radio and both power eecepticles.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Pull fuse #7 for one minute (with car off), then put it back in. Then check the radio, it should ask for the code now.
Hi my actual tl 06 won’t ask me for the code either and i was wondering which one is fuse 7 , mine has 3 fuses that are 7.5 but none of them are just “7”
Old 06-28-2018, 01:27 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Leslie Solis
Hi my actual tl 06 won’t ask me for the code either and i was wondering which one is fuse 7...
If you pull the cover off the fusebox and turn it over, it will have a diagram showing the fuse position numbers.
There is also a diagram of the fuse position numbers in the owner's manual.
See https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p.../#post15689684

Welcome to AZ, and G/L resolving the problem.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear

2010 TL Base

hey, i'm having the same issue. My radio works on and off, when i pull the battery sometimes it asks for the code, other times i have to wait a couple hours before it asks for the code. Currently, the radio is working but the buttons do not. My battery has been tested and its working perfectly fine...does anyone think this could be a alternator issue? Anyone have some advise?
Old 11-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Had to get a battery today, last minute emergency... Same issue on the RDX now...

Never mind... It just asked for the code. Two hours later...

Last edited by thoiboi; 11-19-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:42 PM
N00b Extraordinaire

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Make sure your looking at the right screen, it will ask for the code on the screen that displays time and ac functions, not the navi screen. You use the present buttons to enter the code for the radio.
Thank you for this reminder! I had to jump my car and was frustrated that the radio wasn't working or asking for a code. I had forgotten that the code is asked for on the LED auxiliary screen. My screen has the notorious problem of flickering off, and it was off when I was trying to figure out WTF was going on. Two whacks to the screen bezel and I saw the code request.

Last edited by LazLong; 01-08-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vkanwar
Hi guys,

I'd appreciate some help on this. I have a 2006 Acura TL base model (non-navi).

I left my car parked for a week while away on vacation. When I got back and tried to turn the car on, I realized the battery had died.

I got some help from my dad to jump-start the car, but I don't think the way he did it was correct. First of all, he connected the +/+ like normal but he also connected -/-. However, I read in the manual afterwards that you are not supposed to connect the the - cable to dead battery but are supposed to ground it to the engine block. Anyways, the way my dad did it worked and my car was up and running.

However, after driving it around for a few minutes, I realized that the radio was not turning on. The climate control works fine and shows on the lcd screen, however pushing the power button for the radio does nothing. It doesn't even ask for a radio code. I'm not sure what could be causing this and would appreciate some suggestions.
Old thread, but my neighbor had this problem and I ended up calling oriellys. we had the battery unhooked for about 15 minutes, fuses out. And couldn't get the radio to work. The kid at O'Reillys said we need to enter the radio code, but there was no screen to enter it. He said try entering it using the radio preset buttons 1-6 and I'll be dammed if the radio came right on. Try that solution first! It worked for us!
Old 03-03-2022, 07:17 AM
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by r0xt4r
Old thread, but my neighbor had this problem and I ended up calling oriellys. we had the battery unhooked for about 15 minutes, fuses out. And couldn't get the radio to work. The kid at O'Reillys said we need to enter the radio code, but there was no screen to enter it. He said try entering it using the radio preset buttons 1-6 and I'll be dammed if the radio came right on. Try that solution first! It worked for us!
Old 03-03-2022, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
Radio button input for radio code, nav screen key input for nav screen unlock