Question about possible brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about possible brake problem

Hey - in late April I had brake problems with my '06 Acura TL (~95,000 miles) and it was determined that my front and rear break pads, as well as rear rotors needed to be replaced. Got the work done for around $450 (don't know if that's even a reasonable price) and everything had been working fine for past few months. However, a few days ago, my brakes started growling again everytime I slow down to a near stop or come to a complete stop and also a little bit when I start to accelerate.

The car had been parked while it rained for a few days straight recently here in the DC area before this problem arose and I read that the rain could possibly be the source of the problem but that if this were the case the issue would only be temporary. After 3 or so days still having same issue with growling/grinding noise coming from brakes.

Just seems odd I would have brake problems again only 5-6 months after getting them fixed? Been driving 18 or so years and never had an issue with brakes so soon after getting them fixed. I'm fairly certain I never slammed on the brakes or did anything else to damage them... any thoughts on what the issue may be? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
the rain must have chemically bound some metals.

if you have the tools, you can check out and inspect your brakes yourself. quite easy to spot something wrong.

on my 6mt with brembo brakes up front, the funny thing is the rears wear more than the fronts.
I just replaced the rears not to long ago!!! and they're already squealing at me.
there's a metal "squealer" prong that sticks out of the pad when the pad material gets too low
Old 10-15-2013, 05:02 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
the rain must have chemically bound some metals.

if you have the tools, you can check out and inspect your brakes yourself. quite easy to spot something wrong.

on my 6mt with brembo brakes up front, the funny thing is the rears wear more than the fronts.
I just replaced the rears not to long ago!!! and they're already squealing at me.
there's a metal "squealer" prong that sticks out of the pad when the pad material gets too low
Took it to a mechanic today and they said my left rear brake caliper is causing the problem. Something about a faulty caliper causing my rear pads and rotors to go bad a lot quicker than usual. Does this make sense? Sucks that I have to pay again for work very similar to work I just had done 6 months ago...
Old 10-15-2013, 05:21 PM
From Around The Way

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Im experiencing the same thing right now. i went to Firestone like 3 weeks ago and they told me the rear brakes aren't wearing evenly something about the rear caliper sticking,& it could be the brake line or the caliper itself. And i got new rotors and pads up front & back 4,000 miles ago. Haven't figured it out yet but your not alone wit this problem dude
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
05 MT here with about 57Kmi, original rear brakes. I've had the rear groaning noise you describe. As you say it happens just before you come to a complete stop. Typically the last 20 or so feet before complete stop. In my case I removed the rear calipers and found no uneven pad wear, plenty of pad thickness, and no issues with the calipers. The disks didn't look too bad either. So I reassembled everything and haven't looked back. It was also time for me to do a brake fluid flush so I did that as well. It really didn't change anything (nor did I think it would, it was just time for it). The car still does it from time to time but I see it more as an annoyance rather than an any really thing to be overly concerned about. When I need to stop, it's still quick to stop and very controllable. I chock it up to sh-t an 8+ year old car does.

I am not saying you don't have an issue or your car is like mine. I am just stating my individual findings with my car that seems to be showing similar behavior as yours.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by wardnine
Took it to a mechanic today and they said my left rear brake caliper is causing the problem. Something about a faulty caliper causing my rear pads and rotors to go bad a lot quicker than usual. Does this make sense? Sucks that I have to pay again for work very similar to work I just had done 6 months ago...
Originally Posted by mattymattB
Im experiencing the same thing right now. i went to Firestone like 3 weeks ago and they told me the rear brakes aren't wearing evenly something about the rear caliper sticking,& it could be the brake line or the caliper itself. And i got new rotors and pads up front & back 4,000 miles ago. Haven't figured it out yet but your not alone wit this problem dude
you guise found the problem!!!!!
the brake calipers can definitely get stuck.

you'll have to investigate more.
whether it be the line thats causing it or the piston itself.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Rear brake calipers getting stuck is a very common problem, especially in wet areas. Have you ever had the brake fluid flushed? It's possible water can cause problems externally but it's most likely the fluid has absorbed moisture and the rear calipers seem to be the collection point, maybe they're the low spot in the braking system.

Once you replace the caliper (you don't have to do them in pairs but most on here experience both failing within months of one another) make sure the fluid is flushed well.
The following users liked this post:
mattymattB (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM
From Around The Way

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks very much man. So the final verdict is new calipers and a brake flush.