Problem with Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Homelink

I have tried to set-up the Homelink and it does not work! Anyone else having a problem with this?

I did everything the instructions said to do - over and over, and still - it will not work!!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Need more description as to what you are doing and the remote you are trying to link.
Try clearing the Homelink completely per TL owner's manual directions, then going into setup. If that doesn't work, you may have a rolling-code remote which involves accessing the [garage door] receiver's "learning" mode per owner's manual.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:53 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Need more description as to what you are doing and the remote you are trying to link.
Try clearing the Homelink completely per TL owner's manual directions, then going into setup. If that doesn't work, you may have a rolling-code remote which involves accessing the [garage door] receiver's "learning" mode per owner's manual.
^^^^I agree. Make sure you start with the car cleared of codes and that you understand your garage door opener's pairing process once you have the car set up to transmit.

Whay kind of opener?
FYI - My openers are Genie's from around '97 with rolling codes and they work fine.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Unshunned

Originally Posted by Bammyz
I have tried to set-up the Homelink and it does not work! Anyone else having a problem with this?

I did everything the instructions said to do - over and over, and still - it will not work!!
there is a TSB on this. I've had the same frustrations you're having. 2 different types of garage openers, and both didn't work

The TSB states that you need a GENIE brand remote to program the homelink. If it doesn't work from that, then you must have the homelink unit replaced.

Call your dealer and mention that, see if they have a genie remote you could try it with.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:43 PM
05 TL

I had mine replaced.... The dealer was telling me that my VIN wasnt in the recall... Told them that it still didnt work... I got a new one, and it works just fine.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With rolling codes there's a button on the garage door receiver. You push that button, and then do the homelink thing on the car.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Thanks for your help!

I have "Overhead Door" garage opener, so that may be the problem. Oh, geeze! I thought this was something simple to set-up!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
All of Overhead Door's openers have rolling code. As was previously mentioned, you will need to push the button on the opener, then follow the steps to program the car. There's a second set of instructions in the manual for how to set up Homelink with rolling code openers. You either need two people or have to move rather quickly (down the ladder, to the car, push the button, etc.)
Old 10-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chill_dog
All of Overhead Door's openers have rolling code. As was previously mentioned, you will need to push the button on the opener, then follow the steps to program the car. There's a second set of instructions in the manual for how to set up Homelink with rolling code openers. You either need two people or have to move rather quickly (down the ladder, to the car, push the button, etc.)

Thanks! I appreciate everyone's help! I will try it again!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:33 AM
RIP Dime...

Try doing a search as well for the garage door openers. Try this https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106070
Old 10-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate everyone's help! I will try it again!
No problem. I didn't know my opener had rolling code...tried three or four times to get it set up to no avail. Then I figured I'd try the steps for rolling code...only took two tries (didn't get down the ladder and back to the car quick enough to follow the other steps the first time ). Good luck!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Go to www.homelink.com. The web address is in your manual. I found the directions much better online than in the manual.

Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

lol, didnt read the previous posts, but you must program your garage door opener to your home link first (if its the rolling code), then do the button on the door motor next using the same homelink button.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
took me a while to set mine up
Old 10-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
Note that the "learn" button is on the unit in the garage, not on the remote; it's often under one of the light-bulb covers. Sounds a little obvious, but my father never programmed his Homelink unit in his TSX because he thought the "learn" button was supposed to be on the remote. He finally learned otherwise when I replaced my old garage door opener with a rolling code unit. So I suspect other people might make the same mistake.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Cruisin'

The instructions in the owners manual imply that for rolling code system you follow the 2nd set of steps. In fact you do the entire set - single code followed by rolling code.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Instructor

I initialy had problems in my 2002 TL, and again in my 2006 TL. I have a Genie opener. Turned out the solution was really simple. I was trying to learn the main button on the remote (the one that opens the door). For some reason this refused to work. I tried training the homelink with one of the other unused buttons on the genie remote, and it worked great. Of course I didn't remember this a few years later when I bought the 06, and wasted about 2 hours in my driveway trying to get it working.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

BammyZ,
Do a search on this topic if it still doesn't work. Someone else had an opener with rolling codes, but a different frequency or something. I forgot exactly what the resolution was.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Programming Homelink

Hey guys, I was reading through these posts and I noticed there seemed to be some confusion regarding programming the homelink to a rolling code garage door opener. To properly program them it will help to understand how they work.

With the rolling code system, you must first use a transmitter to train the homelink what to transmit. Upon completion of this, you must go to the "learn" or "teach" button on the garage door opener, press it, then go back to your newly trained homelink button and press it several times so that it will be accepted by the garage door opener.

To say it another way, training homelink for a rolling code system involves 2 steps. First train homelink with a transmitter, then pair up homelink with the garage door opener by pressing the "learn" or "teach" button and then (within 30 seconds) pressing the homelink button.

As some have said in this forum, it is a good idea to clear the homelink system before starting (press and hold buttons 1 and 3 for about 20 seconds). Check out the homelink site for interpreting the blinking homelink light and what it is telling you. Good Luck