Problem with Cruise Control button

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with Cruise Control button

The cruise control button on my 04 TL (the small button marked "cruise" on the right side of the steering wheel) seems to have stopped working. When I press the button the light in the dash panel comes on, but when I release the button the light goes out. The button should have a toggle effect, but I'm not sure if the button has a mechanical toggle or if the toggle is controlled electrically. Can someone tell me if this is a mechanical toggle button?

If it is mechanical I assume it will need replacement, and from what I read it seems like I'll have to remove the airbag to get the button out. I'm comfortable with the electrical replacement of the button, but I'm not sure about messing with the airbag. Is removal of the airbag something that is relatively easy or should I leave this to the dealer? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes mechanical but if it lights up on ur dash its fine.....if ur cruising and u hit the cruise control it doesnt go into cruise control u have to "SET" cruise after u turn it on.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by rvmeush
The cruise control button on my 04 TL (the small button marked "cruise" on the right side of the steering wheel) seems to have stopped working. When I press the button the light in the dash panel comes on, but when I release the button the light goes out. The button should have a toggle effect, but I'm not sure if the button has a mechanical toggle or if the toggle is controlled electrically. Can someone tell me if this is a mechanical toggle button?
It sounds like the button is working fine-- the cruise control will activate only after the driver pushes the separate "Set/Decel" button. There is no toggle effect, i.e. pushing the "cruise" button does not activate the cruise function by itself.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rvmeush

If it is mechanical I assume it will need replacement, and from what I read it seems like I'll have to remove the airbag to get the button out. I'm comfortable with the electrical replacement of the button, but I'm not sure about messing with the airbag. Is removal of the airbag something that is relatively easy or should I leave this to the dealer? Thanks.
Removing the airbag is very easy. Just disconnect the battery first, and there are only 2 Torx bolts holding it on each side. Dsconnect the wiring connectors, and you're good to go. Keep the bag face up on the ground so that if it somehow deploys, it won't turn into a projectile. You need to replace the bolts with new ones, however.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
It sounds like the button is working fine-- the cruise control will activate only after the driver pushes the separate "Set/Decel" button. There is no toggle effect, i.e. pushing the "cruise" button does not activate the cruise function by itself.
The cruise control switch is a "toggling" switch and hence is broken if the light goes out after you initially press it in (assuming the light was off to start). I'm not sure if you can just buy the switch more than lightly wyou'll have to buy the switch assembly (with all the other switches and lights in it).

Next time you press it in, notice how it does not come out all the way when the cruise control light is "on" for a normally working switch.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow can anyone rephrase anymore answers?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Cruisin'

Mine will do the same thing when it's cold. If i blow into the button, it will then work. I haven't taken mine back to the dealer to get it fixed though.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:54 AM
2nd Gear

2005 TL Cruise control button

My 2005 TL cruise control button. feels like it clicks and displays the light on the dash but releases almost immediately.

Could it be a fuse ?