Power steering noise-how to fix it?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering noise-how to fix it?

Hey,how are you doing guys ?
I have acura TL 04, 158.000 miles. I had problem before couple of days,it's noise on power steering. I can heard in morning(cold weather), it's very loudly ! all MECHANIC I went them, they said you must change the pump ! it's take 300$ at least. Finally, I changed the O-ring, and it's work very good.
try to search about your problems before you fix it. Thanks for your time.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AcUrA TL3.2
Hey,how are you doing guys ?
I have acura TL 04, 158.000 miles. I had problem before couple of days,it's noise on power steering. I can heard in morning(cold weather), it's very loudly ! all MECHANIC I went them, they said you must change the pump ! it's take 300$ at least. Finally, I changed the O-ring, and it's work very good.
try to search about your problems before you fix it. Thanks for your time.
Was it difficult to fix?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/diy-105-power-steering-whine-fix-754586/
Old 11-05-2011, 05:19 PM
10th Gear

Easy to fix. I get this done a year ago, if the noise its only when its cold you can be sure its the o ring at the pump inlet hose. I have a instructions on how to replace it.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:26 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by beboricua
Easy to fix. I get this done a year ago, if the noise its only when its cold you can be sure its the o ring at the pump inlet hose. I have a instructions on how to replace it.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 PM
10th Gear

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/img1439fd.jpg/
Old 03-22-2018, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
Ever since I did the power steering fluid flush, I get a brief noise only in the morning as i leave and just when it shifts into 2nd gear. I hope thats not my tranny. But it started making a brief noise just in the mornings or after it's been sitting a while, as I take off and shift into 2nd gear. No noise after that. I thought it was air after I did the flush, but it's still doing it. I'm not sure what it is. Does that sound familiar to anyone?
Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
Ever since I did the power steering fluid flush, I get a brief noise only in the morning as i leave and just when it shifts into 2nd gear. I hope thats not my tranny. But it started making a brief noise just in the mornings or after it's been sitting a while, as I take off and shift into 2nd gear. No noise after that. I thought it was air after I did the flush, but it's still doing it. I'm not sure what it is. Does that sound familiar to anyone?
Can the noise be controlled by your turning the steering wheel? If so, it's likely the o-ring that needs to be replaced because air has entered into your system.
The following users liked this post:
theshawn (08-04-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Not when turning. Just after it's been sitting for a long while or overnight as it shifts into second gear. Like maybe the rpm change is making it happen? I'm not sure. I rhought it was air in the hose but its still doing it after 3 or 4 months. And it only started doing it immediately after the p.s. fluid flush. And it's coming from the passenger side like where all the accessories are located
Old 03-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Drifting

I wonder if there is a way to bleed air from the system or if it is automatic. I know the pump itself is higher than the reservoir. So that could be a hindrance to getting the air out. My camaro had a little bleeder cable on the top of the thermostat cooling system so you could bleed the air out. But not sure if power steering is like that...
Old 03-23-2018, 12:29 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Not when turning. Just after it's been sitting for a long while or overnight as it shifts into second gear. Like maybe the rpm change is making it happen? I'm not sure. I rhought it was air in the hose but its still doing it after 3 or 4 months. And it only started doing it immediately after the p.s. fluid flush. And it's coming from the passenger side like where all the accessories are located
Sounds similar to a noise I hear on my car. Service Manual says its normal. I only noticed the sound this winter but that may be because I've recently been paying extra attention to every little noise to attack problems early. On warmer days, the sound seems to get lower so I'm thinking it may be some o-rings on the abs modulator getting old, but that is just a guess.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p.../#post16164835

Some posts that may be similar.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-004-a-552426/
Old 06-25-2018, 07:43 PM
Drifting

the 1st link you posted is very much like mine. But not the 2nd link. I heard no clicking noise.
I changed the O-ring on the PS pump. It had Zero effect on anything.

But the noise mine "was" making is going away. I can barely hear it now. I think I "might" have changed the transmission fluid too that day that I spoke about. I don't remember for sure. But I have been blending the fluid back to OEM DW1. And that fluid allows for more slipping, so I hear. And it might have taken a while for the torque converter / transmission to get used to it. Or I might have needed for the transmission fluid to wear in. I mean being brand new fluid , it might have caused too much slipping since my car is getting older. I don't know but the noise is going away, almost completely gone. Often I can't even hear it.. It might not even be doing it now at all. The last few times I drove the car, if forget about the noise, and I said to myself "did it make that noise"? And I have said that to myself like 4 times and I can't seem to hear it. But it use to never let me forget about it. It was much louder. So, I think it is gone or going away. And it might have been "new fluid". I dont know for sure because I cant remember if I changed the fluid or not. I do it so fast now. haha
Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 PM
Drifting

I said "it might have taken a while for the torque converter / transmission to get used to it." Because I was thinking only the torque converter. But I didn't know for sure if fluid runs through the torque converter. But it does. So my thinking was right. I think the torque converter was making noise. And this video confirms that fluid runs through the Torque converter.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
the 1st link you posted is very much like mine. But not the 2nd link. I heard no clicking noise.
I changed the O-ring on the PS pump. It had Zero effect on anything.

But the noise mine "was" making is going away.
My noise also started going away in the spring and has now gone completely. Before the noise left, I narrowed it down to ABS modulator area using a sound recorder. I'm thinking some rubber seal on my abs modulator does not like Chicago winters (this was 1st winter car was not stored in heated garage). If noise comes back in December, I'm pretty sure that is the problem.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:44 AM
Drifting

Well, mine would only make the noise when shifting from first into second. Like a soon as it begin the shift, I would hear this whirling sound. And it only made the noise for the duration of the shift. But while it was in either gear, there was never any noise. I just think putting oem fluid back in the transmission , blending out the redline racing fluid may have caused tge issue. And also due to the wear and age of the car. But I'm only hypothesizing. I have no solid evidence of the source of the noise. But It never made noise when pressing on the brake. And to be honest, I can't even remember if I swapped out the transmission fluid at the time that I flushed the power steering fluid. But that was when it started that "second gear shift whirling sound". And I don't see any connection with the abs and a 2nd gear shifting whirling sound. Either way, unless it gives me a bigger sign, I may not figure out what it was. I guess I'm ok with that as long as I have no trouble.
if a rubber o-ring or sealer is your problem, then it will likely come back. I'm surprised it even went away if it is related to abs
Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 PM
Drifting

update: The noise is totally gone. I think it was the new transmission fluid I put in it causing weird behavior in the torque converter or transmission during 1st to 2nd shift... I dont drive much so it took a while to "re-adjust".