Please help - 1st VSA & CEL, now car shutting off at low revs

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please help - 1st VSA & CEL, now car shutting off at low revs

Hello fellow Aziners:

It all began last Saturday when I stopped at a red light. I was at a dead stop and I suddenly felt the car vibrate as if it was reving too low and it was going to shut off but nothing happened.

On Tuesday I was driving to work and stopped at a red light. When I went to accelerate the car would barely move (from reading here it seems like it went into “Limp Home Mode”) and I noticed the VSA, CEL and the VSA on/off lights were on. I shut the car off and turned it back on. The car now ran ok but the VSA and CEL Lights stayed on. Took the car to my mechanic and the computer showed a P2101 - Throttle actuator system malfunction". Probable causes: Dirty throttle body, throttle linkage binding, failed throttle body” So my mechanic did a “Throttle body / intake clean” and a Relearn.

The next day I was driving the car and it shut down on me while going up a slight hill on idle and it turned the CEL on again. Took it to my mech. and the computer now showed a P2176 Code - Throttle Actuator Control System Idle Position Not Learned. He did the Relearn procedure again and off I went.

Well last night my car shut off a couple times in a row (it always happens when idling at very low speeds) and again this morning (the CEL did not turn on until it happened this morning). Took it to the guy again and it now pulled a P2279 Code - Air Intake Leak.

I also notice two things today:
1) the car is kind of reving weird when at a dead stop, reving between 500 to 1,200 intermittently.
2) The Air Flow Tube that goes from the Air Cleaner Case to the Throttle Body is broken at the end where it fastens to the Throttle Body.

I don’t know what else to do. Please help me out! Jeje

Peace,

Rolan
Old 08-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
your car is getting unfiltered air from that crack. As well it sounds like a vacuum hose may be unplugged causing the rough idle. Fix those and try the idle relearn once again by undoing the battery for 30 mins, then reconnect and let the car idle for 15 minutes. Be sure all the accessories such as A/C, radio, lights, etc are off. Have your radio codes handy and navi codes and radio presets.
The following users liked this post:
rolan04tl (12-23-2012)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
your car is getting unfiltered air from that crack. As well it sounds like a vacuum hose may be unplugged causing the rough idle. Fix those and try the idle relearn once again by undoing the battery for 30 mins, then reconnect and let the car idle for 15 minutes. Be sure all the accessories such as A/C, radio, lights, etc are off. Have your radio codes handy and navi codes and radio presets.
Thank you for your help csmeance. changed the air hose and did the idle relearn. checked vacuum hoses and didnt find anything wrong. will let you know if this fixes the issue.
Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Instructor

well, its been a week since I replaced the Air Flow Tube and have had no issues since. It also fixed the rough idle problem. Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the same issue, what hose did you replace?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Please help P2101 code vsa light and car shuts off on low revs

I have the same issue vsa and cel light came on when limp mode, and my car is shuting off on low revs, i have the code p2101 and have already

cleand tb
relearn proces
replace tb from one of a junk yard

I notice that, my pedal is a lil bit hard to press and as aditional info i have a high flow intake installed.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by a3scobar
I have the same issue vsa and cel light came on when limp mode, and my car is shuting off on low revs, i have the code p2101 and have already
I notice that, my pedal is a lil bit hard to press and as aditional info i have a high flow intake installed.
First, check the air intake hose and connection from the filter-- that was OP's problem.

I'd then consider the APP sensor-- see https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/04-tl-vsa-light-yellow-warning-light-799546/.

G/L, and welcome to AZ.
The following users liked this post:
a3scobar (06-18-2013)