PLEASE can someone help me? SO many codes, I dont know where to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 03:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE can someone help me? SO many codes, I dont know where to start

I recently (2 weeks ago) purchased a 2008 Acura TL BASE + Nav, 6 speed auto transmission with 140k miles on it. Test driving the car everything was perfect, no hard idling at the lights, no warning of any kind that I was going to be dealing with so much so soon. I'll be honest and say I know very little about troubleshooting a lot of engine issues. Ok here we go. I went to pick up food and on the way (roughly 3 miles from my house) the car started loosing a little power and felt the same way one of my previous cars did when the alternator started going out. When i got to my destination the CEL came on and immediately started flashing so I pulled out of the drive through window and wen to park so i could take a look. It barely made it to the parking spot and wouldnt turn back on after I shut it off. I called the towe truck to come pick it up and had it back to the dealership the next day.

Ok, i'm worried at this point but I know the dealership will take care of me because i literally JUST bought the car. They tell me broken coil, it's been fixed you should be good to go. I picked it up on Monday after noon. It made it until yesterday and then I got the P16BF starting system code with the CEL. I went through so many threads to try and find one similar to my issue with the combination of codes and found some very good reads that allowed me to take notes on what to look at and work with my shop on. I'm almost at the point of wanting to return the car and threaten with lemon law if the dealership gives me flack, but I love driving this thing!!!! Ive always wanted one and I almost dont want to give it up, but I also dont want to be dealing with issues from day 1 until the day it dies or I trade it it.

Any Insight would be very appreciated.

Codes:
4/26 - P16BF - Starting system - CEL on for this one
4/26 - TIghten Fuel Cap
4/22 - P0303 - Engine System - I took it back to the dealer when this happened and they found a broken coil and replaced it.
4/19 - P0325 - Emissions System -
4/19 - P0872 - Transmission System
Old 04-28-2019, 09:28 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
This is not a new car so unlikely lemon laws will do much for you....unless your state has something that covers 10 year old cars.

When you say it wouldn't turn back on, it would start? Or it didn't turn over at all? Really sounds like you have a bad battery, bad alternator, or bad cables giving you issues. A broken coil usually won't prevent it from starting...it will just make it run like crap and shake.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:57 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Jackass
This is not a new car so unlikely lemon laws will do much for you....unless your state has something that covers 10 year old cars.

When you say it wouldn't turn back on, it would start? Or it didn't turn over at all? Really sounds like you have a bad battery, bad alternator, or bad cables giving you issues. A broken coil usually won't prevent it from starting...it will just make it run like crap and shake.
In California our lemon laws protect purchasers from any sale of vehicle purchased from a dealership.

So once it started sputtering i tried to make it to a
Old 04-29-2019, 02:25 AM
10th Gear

Uggh, accidentally posted unfinished.

While trying to park the power was still working, dash lights, headlights, radio etc. Once i parked i turned off the car. Tried to turn the key a few minutes later and it appeared to turn over but when i pressed on the accelorater i heard clicking noises. I turned it off again anf then it wouldnt turn over at all after that. No noises just no response.

Today I drove the car and the CEL didnt come back on. I didnt try to reset codes or disconnect the battery or anything. Ive kept the music off so i could listen for any thing alarming. Here is what ive been experiencing.

I dont feel a rough idle but I do hear some slight rattling.

When the AC is on and i turn the steering wheel to the left, the air flow changes on the passenger side vents. Almost as if a hose is being pinched.

Every so often when im about to take off from a light or from a stop. There seems to be delay like its still misfiring.

When starting the car i hear a noise that sounds similar to what it sounded like the night i had it towed. It seems to take longer than most cars i've owned to turn over while im turning the key.

Gas mileage is up and down. It was horrible the first week and it seens
Old 04-29-2019, 07:58 AM
Drifting

If the car was "dead" at any point, that is what needs to be chased. These cars are stupid finicky when there are electrical issues and throw codes left and right. Find that and fix it, then see if there are still other symptoms. It "should" start/fire within 1-2 seconds of turning the key.

I threw in the "state" part knowing that CA could possibly be the outlier on covering used cars. They generally are way more regulated and protective than most other US states....good and bad.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:14 PM
10th Gear

When that happened it was towed back to the dealership and they had only found that broken coil to be a problem. As i've driven it over the week It's been driving ok, but idle is getting more and more harsh and the sounds are just god awful. I've attached videos with the rattling and one i just took now while shifting from drive to park.

I'm already preparing myself for some bad news because of the noises. I'm going to leave it parked tomorrow during the day. Maybe you or someone will have some good advice, if not I'll wait until Friday when I have time to take it up to the shop and have it scanned. I'm still 50/50 on returning the car back to the dealership.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:10 AM
Drifting

You said the entire car as dead at one point correct? A bad coil will not impact the rest of the vehicles electrical system. It will impact the ability of the engine to run correctly.

You mentioned some videos, but nothing is attached to this thread still.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:56 AM
10th Gear

I keep trying to upload them, but no luck so far. I'll try and get them uploaded.

Basically, when I shift from D to P I hear a major, maybe 3 second, delay before it locks into gear. When i shift from P to D I dont hear the delay but it sounds rough. Like a loud click. Driving I dont feel shifting issues while shifting up, but shifting down it seems like from 3rd to 2nd is just a little early. I'm not familiar with the transmissions of these cars and I've heard that they are unique in how they operate and perform.

This is the error i keep getting when trying to upload the videos. I work in IT so i'm troubleshooting that.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

This error most often occurs for one of two reasons. Trying to upload a file, or photo which is too large, and it took too long. Otherwise it can occur if you have been on the page a long time, before submitting your post or pressing the upload button.
Please try reloading the page, and attempt your action again. If you were trying to upload an image, please make sure it falls within the site's size constraints.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass

low voltage leads to a plethora of red herring and odd electrical issues

get a new battery. /endthread
Old 05-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Joseph Harlow
I keep trying to upload them, but no luck so far. I'll try and get them uploaded.

Basically, when I shift from D to P I hear a major, maybe 3 second, delay before it locks into gear. When i shift from P to D I dont hear the delay but it sounds rough. Like a loud click. Driving I dont feel shifting issues while shifting up, but shifting down it seems like from 3rd to 2nd is just a little early. I'm not familiar with the transmissions of these cars and I've heard that they are unique in how they operate and perform.

This is the error i keep getting when trying to upload the videos. I work in IT so i'm troubleshooting that.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

This error most often occurs for one of two reasons. Trying to upload a file, or photo which is too large, and it took too long. Otherwise it can occur if you have been on the page a long time, before submitting your post or pressing the upload button.
Please try reloading the page, and attempt your action again. If you were trying to upload an image, please make sure it falls within the site's size constraints.
Upload to YouTube and then link it here
Old 05-01-2019, 12:18 PM
10th Gear

They disabled the ability to upload videos to the forum and it has to be done with a new post. I just created some dropbox links.

Shifting noises - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ceh8djul1s...eated.mov?dl=0

Rattle/Knock - https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwkp6kqrwc...arked.mov?dl=0

Listening from passenger to driver side - https://www.dropbox.com/s/39et3job7s...river.mov?dl=0
Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM
10th Gear

Saw your reply after, thank you very much. I did that as well, in case dropbox didnt work.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:39 PM
10th Gear

I believe my idler tensioner needs to be replace as well.