Pedal Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Patsfreak1281
at least you found it...how do your bushings look? How many miles on your car?
They said they are good. 121k.
The following users liked this post:
AcuraIntegTL (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Glad to hear you found the issue? If you don't mind me asking, "How much have you been quoted to have the axle replaced?" Or is this something we can easily DIY? Hopefully someone that's already performed this fix can provide some additional information too. I'm also interested in knowing how many miles you have on your TL since I am running into something similar. However, I unmounted and remounted my rims the other day, and my TL drives a lot smoother. I think the shop I went to didn't take the time to ensure my lug nuts were seated properly.

Originally Posted by DatDereTL
It turned out to be my passenger side axle going bad.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
I feel like I've been through it all...staring at my fingers to see if they're jiggling at such and such speed, then moving wheel up or back to see if it's better...turn down bass...was it that i was feeling...look at passenger seat, is it vibrating...is my coffee mug vibrating. Emotional ups and dows every day...YES, my car is smooth...5 minutes later...WTF...I need to change the vtec fluid it's making my rims vibrate!!! AAHHHHH!!!

a few things I've learned about vibrations...

1) once you feel em, you are always feeling FOR them...even if it's less vibration than before you noticed it, you'll pay more attention.
2) not all techs or balance machines are created equally
3) not all tires are created equally
4) compliance bushing makes no difference in vibration
5) alignment makes no difference
6) camber kits front/rear raising and lowering make no difference
7) bigger rim, even 1 inch and thinner tire makes you feel the road imperfections much more...on certain curves on the same highway every day I think "fk...there it is again". it's the road, not my rims.
8) put oem wheels back on and sometimes feel a faint vibration too...so then i realized i'd just gone nutty.

Best thing...

acura dealership by me...mounted these continentals for me. they used a new balance machine and cleaned off the rims first and put on the new nice weights and made sure they didn't fall off after.

made sure i put the right amount of psi all around

put on hubcentric rings...put a little painters tape around the circumfrence to ensure a SUPER tight fit as I torqued down.

torque to spec, 80 ft/lb

use the correct lugs with either acorn seats or tapered seats. they both work on oem or aftermarket, but aren't meant to.

Then, take your crazy pills and go back to focusing on enjoying Barry Manilow or whatever you're cranking on your ELS system and TRY and forget you ever had a vibration issue to begin with.

and now...my ish is butter smooth, my friend. pure joy.

Last edited by rockstar143; 02-21-2012 at 01:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
AcuraIntegTL (02-21-2012), DatDereTL (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AcuraIntegTL
Glad to hear you found the issue? If you don't mind me asking, "How much have you been quoted to have the axle replaced?" Or is this something we can easily DIY? Hopefully someone that's already performed this fix can provide some additional information too. I'm also interested in knowing how many miles you have on your TL since I am running into something similar. However, I unmounted and remounted my rims the other day, and my TL drives a lot smoother. I think the shop I went to didn't take the time to ensure my lug nuts were seated properly.
I took it to Honda again and they told me that 2 of their technicians have looked at my axles and that there is nothing wrong with them at all. They told me to take it back to where I got them road force balanced and to re-do them again. As I did that, vibrations are 99% gone, as 1% is prob in my head. I took off my shoe to see if I can feel anything, I felt it once or twice on a 15 min drive. It seems like it's on and off/or nothing at all and it's all my head messing with me?

Anyways, I feel like it did get 99% better after re-balancing them. My rotors are warped bad and when I brake at 30 mph, it vibrates. That's how bad they are. Could that have anything to do with me vibrating ON AND OFF at normal speeds (65+)? Could it be the harmonics in the cheap Falkens I bought? As for your question, I have 121k mi. I don't think I experienced this problem before I got the XXRs...

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I feel like I've been through it all...staring at my fingers to see if they're jiggling at such and such speed, then moving wheel up or back to see if it's better...turn down bass...was it that i was feeling...look at passenger seat, is it vibrating...is my coffee mug vibrating. Emotional ups and dows every day...YES, my car is smooth...5 minutes later...WTF...I need to change the vtec fluid it's making my rims vibrate!!! AAHHHHH!!!

a few things I've learned about vibrations...

1) once you feel em, you are always feeling FOR them...even if it's less vibration than before you noticed it, you'll pay more attention.
2) not all techs or balance machines are created equally
3) not all tires are created equally
4) compliance bushing makes no difference in vibration
5) alignment makes no difference
6) camber kits front/rear raising and lowering make no difference
7) bigger rim, even 1 inch and thinner tire makes you feel the road imperfections much more...on certain curves on the same highway every day I think "fk...there it is again". it's the road, not my rims.
8) put oem wheels back on and sometimes feel a faint vibration too...so then i realized i'd just gone nutty.

Best thing...

acura dealership by me...mounted these continentals for me. they used a new balance machine and cleaned off the rims first and put on the new nice weights and made sure they didn't fall off after.

made sure i put the right amount of psi all around

put on hubcentric rings...put a little painters tape around the circumfrence to ensure a SUPER tight fit as I torqued down.

torque to spec, 80 ft/lb

use the correct lugs with either acorn seats or tapered seats. they both work on oem or aftermarket, but aren't meant to.

Then, take your crazy pills and go back to focusing on enjoying Barry Manilow or whatever you're cranking on your ELS system and TRY and forget you ever had a vibration issue to begin with.

and now...my ish is butter smooth, my friend. pure joy.
Read what I said above^. Also, my PSI is 35 all around, i have acorn lugs and are all torqued to 80 lb, have the hubcentric rings... Idk

If there was something wrong with the rims I would have vibrated at all times, not on and off. Correct?

Last edited by DatDereTL; 02-21-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM

You would think...
It might be in your head at this point!

Your rims are probably fine. I forgot to mention I went through high speed, then roadforce at like 3 different places and they didn't get it right. My honda tech friend did...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Pro

You would think...
It might be in your head at this point!

Your rims are probably fine. I forgot to mention I went through high speed, then roadforce at like 3 different places and they didn't get it right. My honda tech friend did...
Was it on and off vibrations? Like it would smooth out, then slightly vibrate again...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Um... after all the pain you went through fixing the vibration, the last ditch is that you found some bad axle in the passenger then the technicians confirmed that the axle is good then told you take a road force and it solved your vibration problem?

Man I need to try the road force, although I do have a little tiny vibration going on in my TL and I want to be 100% vibration free.

Hey rockstar;

What part of acura dealer do you go for the road force balancing? you said they have new machine and how much they cost?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cokorote
Um... after all the pain you went through fixing the vibration, the last ditch is that you found some bad axle in the passenger then the technicians confirmed that the axle is good then told you take a road force and it solved your vibration problem?

Man I need to try the road force, although I do have a little tiny vibration going on in my TL and I want to be 100% vibration free.

Hey rockstar;

What part of acura dealer do you go for the road force balancing? you said they have new machine and how much they cost?
Lol I know man. It got 99% better, but not 100%. I want it 100%

Where in FL are you?

But like rockstar said, it could be just in my head. Or it could be my rotors? I have no idea. Either way, I am getting new rotors sometime this week. If that doesn't solve it then it can not be fixed or figured out I guess.

Last edited by DatDereTL; 02-21-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
OP couple things for you:

1> Vibrations when braking at high speeds: Warped rotors
2> Vibrations when driving between certain speeds: Balance issues, Bent rim, bubble in tire, axle, hub-centric rings
3> Vibrations when at a stop: Vac line, mounts

your in point 2 over there....get those things checked out and you will be fine
OP i posted this comment couple days back, have you gotten anything checked out ???

the issue just wont disappear....
Old 02-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Pro

OP i posted this comment couple days back, have you gotten anything checked out ???

the issue just wont disappear....
I am experiencing the 2nd option. Rings are good, axles are good, and I just took it in for another road force balance (3rd time, 2 different places). If i had a bubble in the tire or bent rim wouldn't it show/wouldn't they have told me? It DID get almost 99% better after the balance today though...

The vibrations are ON AND OFF, not the whole time. That's what's odd. If it was balance, wouldn't it vibrate at all times?

Last edited by DatDereTL; 02-21-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 PM

^^^ sometimes uneven tire wear will also cause vibrations....

when the tires are off just check of uneven wear/bubbles.....dont have the guy do a STATIC balance....sometimes they do static to get it done quickly but it doesnt solve anything.....

PS: I dont know WTF Static means....no matter what shop i take my car in, I always go in the bay...saw a guy HIT static button on the balancer and the vibrations were still there....went to the other store and he didnt hit that button....and this is what he told me "do you feel vibrations ? (YES) yeah its coz the other guy did a static balance (really, thats sucks)"

also make sure you go to a place which has hunter roadforce 9500 something....freaking awesome machine....
Old 02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Pro

^^^ sometimes uneven tire wear will also cause vibrations....

when the tires are off just check of uneven wear/bubbles.....dont have the guy do a STATIC balance....sometimes they do static to get it done quickly but it doesnt solve anything.....

PS: I dont know WTF Static means....no matter what shop i take my car in, I always go in the bay...saw a guy HIT static button on the balancer and the vibrations were still there....went to the other store and he didnt hit that button....and this is what he told me "do you feel vibrations ? (YES) yeah its coz the other guy did a static balance (really, thats sucks)"

also make sure you go to a place which has hunter roadforce 9500 something....freaking awesome machine....
Two of the places I went to used the Hunter 9500 something machine. I will ask them again. As for tire wear, I got this set about a month ago brand new, but a guy at Tire Kingdom that was changing my oil said one of them kind of has a "cup to it" which I didn't really know what he meant and was like I doubt it. Is there anyway I could go back to where I got the tires from and tell them to measure it? Could they precisely measure all of them and tell me? Because if one of them has less thread than the others/"has a cup to it", they can replace it for me. Right?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM

if a tire has a cup/bubble then thats your reason for vibrations right there....

you can get it balanced/aligned but the vibrations will still be there....even something so small on the sidewall can cause vibrations:

Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Pro

What does having a cup to it mean? Does it mean that it is more worn than the rest? Could Tires Plus measure the exact wear on it? Because they said they can't exchange it, unless they can technically find a reason to. They're not going to listen to me if I just say that it has a cup to it, "change it"!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM

nah i think if he said "dude the tire has a cup" it pretty much means a bubble....

if you got those tires recently, go back and get em exchanged/returned....
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM

read this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7191442AABpkBC
Old 02-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Pro

nah i think if he said "dude the tire has a cup" it pretty much means a bubble....

if you got those tires recently, go back and get em exchanged/returned....
He was talking about one of them, yes. He said "you sure these are brand new?"
Me: of course...
Guy: because this one has a little cup to it (as he was moving his hands around the tire)

Tires Plus has horrible customer service and every time I went to speak with them about this problem they weren't so cooperative. And I told them that I would like to exchange them for another brand as I believe it's the tires, they said "We can not return them if we can't find anything wrong with them"...
Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Lol I know man. It got 99% better, but not 100%. I want it 100%

Where in FL are you?

But like rockstar said, it could be just in my head. Or it could be my rotors? I have no idea. Either way, I am getting new rotors sometime this week. If that doesn't solve it then it can not be fixed or figured out I guess.
Im located in downtown miami. Give us the updates when you change the rotors. I hope you fix to 100%. Good luck
Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 PM

He was talking about one of them, yes. He said "you sure these are brand new?"
Me: of course...
Guy: because this one has a little cup to it (as he was moving his hands around the tire)

Tires Plus has horrible customer service and every time I went to speak with them about this problem they weren't so cooperative. And I told them that I would like to exchange them for another brand as I believe it's the tires, they said "We can not return them if we can't find anything wrong with them"...
run your hand (on the tire) and show them the cup/bubble....and tell em "this is whats wrong with em....either replace my 1 tire or am gonna dispute the CC charges and return the full set"
AcuraIntegTL (02-22-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Pro

run your hand (on the tire) and show them the cup/bubble....and tell em "this is whats wrong with em....either replace my 1 tire or am gonna dispute the CC charges and return the full set"
I sure am tomorrow. Thanks for the help rockstar & swoosh!! I'll keep you updated

Last edited by DatDereTL; 02-21-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 PM

^^^ bishhhh am not rockstar am swoosh

Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Pro

i fixed it!! lol. sorry, long day. but thanks to both of you
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
Dat, what did you do to gfix it?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Swoosh, cupping and a bubble are 2 different phenomenon. Cupping is caused by worn shocks, or defective tires, or bad alignment.

Fellas, I went to Acura of Pembroke Pines. Sorry for the delay, was at a HEAT game last night.

Mike, the shop foreman is a nice guy...and the guy to get your wheels mount/balanced with is Dre (Andre). Ask to schedule to have him do it. $20/tire to mount/balance if you need to get tires on...and $27/tire if they are bigger wheels. But this guy KNOWS how to balance and mount tires. He even cleaned the wheels for me, scraped off the old glue from the old weights and put on nice clean and crisp new weights for me. And didn't cost me any more than tires plus (which is where I went at least 5 different times to roadforce, then high speed etc). This guy does it and on the first try, vibration free.

DatDer, yes, it would come and go...part of it I KNOW is in my head.

J.
cokorote (02-23-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM

^^^ Jer, there shudnt be any vibrations PERIOD !!!

vibrations is a way of your car telling you something is going wrong....just like whining or squealing....

and $20 per tire is a LOTTTT !!! i have the one from Firestone and they charge $20 for all 4 tires and for the life of the tire.....

so you pay $20 and get lifetime tire balance/rotate.....

cupping is the opposite of a bubble.....if you recent bough a tire which is cupping you gotta get it replaced is what am saying....
Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM

Well, when I read your post it certainly sounded like you were calling a cup a bubble. And cupping is very different. Anyway...

$20 per tire is for mounting a tire on there...not just balance (that's why I put that little blurb about needing tires).
Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Pro

Got a free alignment from my friend at Tire Kingdom, didn't fix the vibration. Had them road force balanced AGAIN yesterday, didn't do shit either. I also wanted to test out how it'd be at high speeds and when I floored it started vibrating like there's an earthquake or something. There is NO way balance will do that, esp after balancing them like 7 times already at 3 different places now. Could it be why these Falkens were buy 3 get 1 free? But yeah, I AM DONE wasting EVERYday I am off driving around wasting hundreds on gas for the past month. I want one day off car stress free!!!! For fucking once, I'm so sick of it. And Type-S rims are impossible to find almost. This has upset me so much and I am fed up to the point where I just want to trade it in as it's the only option I have.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM

^^^ man i feel sorry for ya....

did they check the tire for bubble/cupping ? how about the axle or the hubcentric rings are they fine ?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Pro

^^^ man i feel sorry for ya....

did they check the tire for bubble/cupping ? how about the axle or the hubcentric rings are they fine ?
He was like the rear ones seem like they are cupping/"not smooth" towards the inside, but then he was like that's not your vibrations. He was like i think it's your rotors. And thast is the only option I have left to try...
Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 AM

do you have another set of rims/tires you can swap out to pin point the vibrations....see if you can have any Azine member help you out....

I know Jer (Rockstar143) lives somewhere in SO FL....so if he is not busy starring at the topless chics on the beach maybe he can help you out .....

Also Rodney is there and he recently started selling tires for the cheapest imaginable price.....pay him a visit if you want
DatDereTL (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Pro

do you have another set of rims/tires you can swap out to pin point the vibrations....see if you can have any Azine member help you out....

I know Jer (Rockstar143) lives somewhere in SO FL....so if he is not busy starring at the topless chics on the beach maybe he can help you out .....

Also Rodney is there and he recently started selling tires for the cheapest imaginable price.....pay him a visit if you want
That's the plan right now. I will talk to them, thanks buddy. Hopefully something will work out.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 AM

Jacksonville is far as fk!
You know what Dat...I hadn't thought of this one other possibility.

I had Hankook Evo V12's...cupping and vibrating like crazy. I called discount tire direct 5 months into it and told them there was a cupping problem defective tires yada yada...they prepaid for shipping back to them and gave me another pick. I got the Falken FK452's...it was better...but still driving me a little nuts.

Maybe it's the tires. Maybe in a low profile they don't balance well?

I got the continental contiextrem DW's now and am happier than a pig in sht. Maybe an option. It's not going to be your rotors.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 AM

^^^ yeah just wanted to narrow down where the vibrations are coming from.....

DatDere, PM me your number and will have you get in touch with Rodney....you can drive there, put on a different set or rims/tires and see if the vibrations go away....
Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM

But Rodney's rims/tires will have vibrations too!

...from all that wheel spin and hop from the turbo!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM

haha...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 PM

DatDere...did you get rid of your oem wheels?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Pro

Jacksonville is far as fk!
You know what Dat...I hadn't thought of this one other possibility.

I had Hankook Evo V12's...cupping and vibrating like crazy. I called discount tire direct 5 months into it and told them there was a cupping problem defective tires yada yada...they prepaid for shipping back to them and gave me another pick. I got the Falken FK452's...it was better...but still driving me a little nuts.

Maybe it's the tires. Maybe in a low profile they don't balance well?

I got the continental contiextrem DW's now and am happier than a pig in sht. Maybe an option. It's not going to be your rotors.
I have tried that already, and they told me that they can't find any cupping and that they were ok. I was told if the rotors are warped bad enough, they can make contact with the pad slightly slowing that wheel down on/off/on/off and causing a shimmy. And my vibrations are on/off/on/off. Almost no steering wheel vibration, and a little ground/gas pedal vibration
^^^ yeah just wanted to narrow down where the vibrations are coming from.....

DatDere, PM me your number and will have you get in touch with Rodney....you can drive there, put on a different set or rims/tires and see if the vibrations go away....
Who's Rodney?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 PM

Rodney is a cool guy....he is a vendor on here and he makes the Turbo kit and ECU for the TL....

lemme ask him if he has a spare set of rims in tires (balanced so wont cause vibrations) which you can put on and drive for a little bit....if the vibrations are gone then you have nothing else to blame but your rims/tires....
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Pro

Rodney is a cool guy....he is a vendor on here and he makes the Turbo kit and ECU for the TL....

lemme ask him if he has a spare set of rims in tires (balanced so wont cause vibrations) which you can put on and drive for a little bit....if the vibrations are gone then you have nothing else to blame but your rims/tires....
Is he in Florida??
Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a free alignment from my friend at Tire Kingdom, didn't fix the vibration. Had them road force balanced AGAIN yesterday, didn't do shit either. I also wanted to test out how it'd be at high speeds and when I floored it started vibrating like there's an earthquake or something. There is NO way balance will do that, esp after balancing them like 7 times already at 3 different places now. Could it be why these Falkens were buy 3 get 1 free? But yeah, I AM DONE wasting EVERYday I am off driving around wasting hundreds on gas for the past month. I want one day off car stress free!!!! For fucking once, I'm so sick of it. And Type-S rims are impossible to find almost. This has upset me so much and I am fed up to the point where I just want to trade it in as it's the only option I have.

I thought it was 99% vibration free after last balance?

Exact same thing that is happening to my G35..vibration on and off..bad 1 min..fine next....main reason why i am trading it in because i worry about it every time i am on highway and i am sick of it. I think mine is in my drivetrain..ie trans or something else..differential ect

But see yours isn't in the wheel..mine is in the wheel and seats..bad..at 60+

If i only had pedal vibration..i would be so happy..

Last edited by Patsfreak1281; 02-23-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Pedal Vibration