Passenger side window malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passenger side window malfunction

This is the first time I've ever had a trouble with the above problem.

I lowered the passenger side window to say good bye to someone. When I tried to raise the window back up, I realized that it won't come up above 2" from the door frame. It took me about 30 tries to raise the window all the way up. I made a mistake of lowering it again to make sure that it was just a freak incident only to find out that it took more than 50 tries to raise it back up again. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:40 PM
GOLDEN NUGGET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem about a month ago. The pass. window had frost on it and I had to put it down to see on coming traffic as I was making a left turn. When I went to put the window up, it kept on going down on it's own. It took me about five times to get it back up, but it hasn't happened since. I thought it might have been the cold weather and the frost, but it seems that now it might be more then that based on your post also...I hope it's nothing serious.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:45 PM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by GUMP
I had a similar problem about a month ago. The pass. window had frost on it and I had to put it down to see on coming traffic as I was making a left turn. When I went to put the window up, it kept on going down on it's own. It took me about five times to get it back up, but it hasn't happened since. I thought it might have been the cold weather and the frost, but it seems that now it might be more then that based on your post also...I hope it's nothing serious.
There is a sensor that prevents the window for closing on someones body parts ... that sensor ... if it get's dirty ... will cause that type of problem ... for me ... I had just gotten my car tinted ... and the sensor was acting up ... we just took the door panel off and gave the whole area a shot of compressed air ...

In GUMP's case ... I bet it was the frost ...
Old 12-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you all. I will try to clean the door area with compressed air. It was very odd when it happened. I was worried about parking the car somewhere with the window down!
Old 12-12-2005, 09:46 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
that happened to me...its a faulty window sensor. window goes up 2" then rolls back down. dealer replaced under warranty
Old 12-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Man, not really the club I wanted to join! The other day - Wed? bitter cold here and I was out and somewhat lost so I was pulling over asking for directions - same thing the passenger window would go auto-down no problem, but the auto-up would go up and inch or two and then go back down. I could get around it by lightly pushing on the button to go "manual" up....so what is the verdict here - really a failure somewhere or is something dirty that I can clean?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Most modern cars have the safety setup on the windows, if they think someones arm/hand/finger is in the way they back off.
Most will overide the safety gizmo if you push the button twice.

Maybe its in the owners manual?

Ice and cold will increase the effort to move the window, and trigger the gizmo.

I can not say I like most of the new safety gizmos car makers have to add, I am not fond of stability control, abs, the window gizmo's, tire pressure monitors, etc.
I like being in control, and its just lots more (expensive) things to go wrong on the car.

Brett
Old 12-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Shift_faster

I've had it happen on two separate occasions. I had the window regulator replaced under warranty by the dealer. Go to the dealer...and have them take care of it.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

It did it again - and it makes a struggling sound when it goes up - like it is binding somewhere. I will have them fix it for sure. Any areas easily damaged by a repair that I should look for before I take it from them after fixed? Door panel must come completely off I am guessing?

P.S. I am not so sure what the sensitivity is of these windows, but I put my hand in there on both windows and I could not get the windows to reverse direction or even stop for that matter!

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I've had it happen on two separate occasions. I had the window regulator replaced under warranty by the dealer. Go to the dealer...and have them take care of it.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:14 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
It did it again - and it makes a struggling sound when it goes up - like it is binding somewhere. I will have them fix it for sure. Any areas easily damaged by a repair that I should look for before I take it from them after fixed? Door panel must come completely off I am guessing?

P.S. I am not so sure what the sensitivity is of these windows, but I put my hand in there on both windows and I could not get the windows to reverse direction or even stop for that matter!
just look at the door panel before you take your car in and see how everything lines up.

i cant remember if the TL windows have the safety feature or not...i thought it was just the sunroof...do i have it backwards? or is it both.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1,015 Likes on 577 Posts
Both front windows have the safety feature when the auto-up is used. Instead of taking a chance with your hand, roll up a newspaper and test it. If it doesn't stop, take it to the dealer.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Team Anthracite Member

good idea Ron - I will test them both. Wifey was not too keen on putting her hand in there

Originally Posted by Ron A
Both front windows have the safety feature when the auto-up is used. Instead of taking a chance with your hand, roll up a newspaper and test it. If it doesn't stop, take it to the dealer.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:06 AM
My Daily Driver

my drivers window does this also...goes up half way, stops and goes back down. Only way to close it is to hold the switch the while time.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

Mine was a faulty regulator, I ran by the dealer the same day and had the car back in less than two hours.....