Outside air temp reading spaces out...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Outside air temp reading spaces out...

Has anyone had their outside air temperature (OAT) display go to --- (three dashes) and stay there?

Mine winked out on Friday. I got the service manual out and followed the instructions for testing the temp sensor - tested fine. Ran the climate control self test which checks the OAT circuit for shorts or opens - no errors but still showing ---.

Now I'm scratching my head.

I tried pulling the fuse to the climate control module hoping for a reset. No change.

Finally, as a last resort, I disconnected and reconnected the negative post on the battery and the OAT came back to life.

I've had the OAT do the --- twice before, but when I've turned off the key and restarted the car it has come back.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does this sometimes when I first start driving. I thought it was trying to figure the temp before displaying it.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Pro

Stuck for 2 days...

To clarify, mine was stuck like this for two days, until I disconnected and reconnected the battery.

That's why I started digging into it.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Team SSM driver

Mine did this 2 days after I got it back in Feb. I took it to the dealer & they had to replace a wiring harness that had an intermittent short I believe.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
OMG!! I was just going to post about this. Ever since we have been going into triple digits here in Vegas (100F+), my Outside Temp readout has been doing the same thing! My 745i had its outside temp probe damaged in a minor accident, and it totally screwed up the entire HVAC and the A/C wouldnt hardly come on in the MIDDLE OF THE DESERT SUMMER last year. I have noticed that the auto climate control in the TL doesn't seem to regulate the temperature well and seems to take alot longer to cool the car down when the outside temp readout is --- .

ANyone know if the outside temp probe directly affects the regulation of the cabin temp? I'm sure it does.... i have been meaning to call my dealership for the last 3 weeks or so..but have been pretty busy, and honestly haven't felt like dealing with the issue!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Bump..anyone Else Experiencing This?
Old 06-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Advanced

Mine is doing this for a few minutes after sitting in the sun in 100 degree temperature. I have a clear bra on the bumper. Wonder if this affects the sensor.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Zaino under fingernails

RELAX, fellow TL'ers...

When your car is in the sun on a hot day, especially after sitting a short while with a hot engine under the hood, it will give you the three dashes instead of an artificially high reading.

After a couple of miles and the temp sensor reading drops, it will switch from dashes to what it's reading, once "reality" has set in.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:57 PM
10th Gear

Outside Temp Reading

I too get the " - - - " reading on my TL.

I'm in Vegas also and have noticed this started happening when the Temps got around 100. One thing to note, when I picked up the car at the dealership ( Falconi's Acura ), they did advise me that this is a normal ocurance if the car has been parked outside in a parking lot during Hot weather. They also mentioned that it takes a while for the correct reading to be displayed because the Temp Sensor is located underneath the front fender.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Sorry, not the answer in my case. I'm on day 2 of getting " _ _ _ ". This is after a night in the garage. I'm hoping this is not going to be a normal summer occurrence.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Instructor

I live in LA and the temp is usually at a cool 75 these days. But once it went up close 90 and i left my car outside in the baking sun for a coupel hours. THe three dashes "---" came out. After a few mins of driving it turned back on but it was at like 115 degrees. hahahaha i knew it was trying to calibrate itself. I see no problem in that.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Pro

Pulling the power

Having to pull and restore the power to get the display back implies that one of the associated computers/controllers is getting hung up. Removing the power typically clears the error codes and resets the computers. Perhaps a short or open is generating error codes, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Since the OAT circuit is tested when the climate control diagnostics are run, I'm pretty confident that it does have an effect on the system and can create problems if it isn't working right.

It's a problem if the display doesn't come back, and mine didn't. Besides, where I live, we haven't had any days that have gone above 100 degrees. So far the highest has been 93 for one day and the display worked fine on that day. The thing spaced out 4 days later after sitting in a garage over night.

It definitely wasn't recalibrating itself for 2 days straight.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Ted, I couldn't agree more. I had 2 days of no readings, obviously not a calibration issue! The other interesting thing in light of what you're saying, is that along with the first time the display came up blank, the HVAC system came on fully COLD. I always leave it at about 70 and have NEVER put it all the way down to "COLD". So these 2 issues popped up at precisely the same time! That would lend credibility to what you're saying. Both systems went whacko at the same time. I was able to bring the HVAC system down to 70 right away, but the OAT still never came back UNTIL I disconnected the battery and reconnected it this moring. So far everything has been fine. Somehow I think this bug will return.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Advanced

I'm bringing in my car this week for the same problem. It happened shortly, in days, after my seat-memory module was replaced.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:28 AM
7th Gear

Same problem, this time on 2005 model. Twice reset using batt disconnect method. Dealer has now replaced temp sensor which did not fix problem. Looks like manual batt disconnect is only reliable method to date? Any ideas for next step? gg
Old 11-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To kosh2258;

I did a bit of a write up in September on this very topic. If it flatlines and stays flatlined, FIX IT OR GET IT FIXED ASAP. It will drain your battery in no time. Mine went completely dead in 5 days.

Apparently, there are two fuses you can pull and re-install and that will take care of the problem. I think they are #'s 7 and 21, but do a search and you find them (come to think of it, you're the one who told me this). Otherwise, pulling you negative cable for a few seconds is fine. After I fired my engine up using a charger, the display came back and has been back ever since.

To TL n Sin City;

The temperature sensor is not "located underneath the front fender". They told you wrong. It's behind the front valance, slightly off center.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrandHdriver
RELAX, fellow TL'ers...

When your car is in the sun on a hot day, especially after sitting a short while with a hot engine under the hood, it will give you the three dashes instead of an artificially high reading.

After a couple of miles and the temp sensor reading drops, it will switch from dashes to what it's reading, once "reality" has set in.

AND as far as reality is concerned, the temp in my TL read about 8 degrees HIGH consistently.

Ho Hummm...
Old 11-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

I just experienced this same problem yesterday. As I started the car, the fan came on full-blast, the previously set heater temperature had changed to its lowest setting and all of my radio persets were gone. Of course, the Outdoor Temperature reading was - - - F.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Strange - I had the same thing happen. It was maybe 40 degrees or so - just stopped all of a sudden and didn't come back until restarting the car. I'll inquire at my svc visit.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:38 PM
7th Gear

Follow Up

Originally Posted by flylow
Same problem, this time on 2005 model. Twice reset using batt disconnect method. Dealer has now replaced temp sensor which did not fix problem. Looks like manual batt disconnect is only reliable method to date? Any ideas for next step? gg
Did manual reset and everything was ok for 2 weeks, then reading spaced out again. Took back to dealer to trouble shoot and fix. Dealer assumed a weak battery (I saw no indication of this, started fine and lights fine etc.) and followed a manufacturers "techline report" and replaced the battery. Things seem ok, at least for three days. More to come I am sure. gg
Old 12-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happened to my '05 the first week I had it. Pulled fuse #7 & it's worked ok for another week or so. We'll see what happens.

Pulling the fuse set tripmeter A & B both to zero. Didn't seem to affect anything else.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Happened to me today too, got the car a week ago today, jeez, w/a build date of 11/04! Anyway, was gonna post but saw this thread and went outside and pulled the #7 fuse and that *fixed* it. But like others have said, it clears the trip counters and the remote linking. I guess if it happens again I'll take it back to the dealer.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Cruisin'

I just experienced this same problem yesterday. As I started the car, the fan came on full-blast, the previously set heater temperature had changed to its lowest setting and all of my radio presets were gone. Of course, the Outdoor Temperature reading was - - - F.

13 Dec 2004. The saga continues. I forgot to add to the above note that not only had my radio presets changed, but also my speaker settings. But I digress. As of this moment the car is sitting at the dealers awaiting "expert advise" from Acura. Prior to taking it to the dealer, I tried pulling the fuse. True to form, the display did return only to disappear a few days later. Hence the trip to the dealer. They replaced the computer module and got an error code. The service manager said that the error code was one that pertained only to the RL and that's why the Service Department was going to call in Acura. Stay tuned for further details. One thing out of all this, is that dealer did provide me with a loaner - a 2004 TL with 5,000 plus miles on it. I must admit that I am rather pleased on how tight the car still appeared to be. However - comma - the Bridgestone tires have to go! I thought that flatspots were a thing of the past......
Old 12-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's another "me too"! Upon starting the other day, my 9 month old TL flatlined the temp display, and put the Climate Control settings in Dual mode with the fan at max. No way I would have left the CC in that setting. Additionally, though my blue tooth phone (Moto V710) still worked in HFL, the phone icon on the dash no longer displayed. I am already scheduled for the B service this week and will certainly push to get these issues fully resolved. Thanks to all for letting me know that this is not an isolated incident .
Old 12-14-2004, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Another me too post. I had this happen a couple of weeks after getting the car. I ignored it, just thinking that I'd get it fixed on my first service. I wasn't able to drive the car over one weekend and when I went to start it on Monday, it wouldn't!

A few days later, my battery was drained so much that not even a light would come on when I opened the door. I had it on a charger so that I could take it to the dealer. Of course, then the temperature shows up, the dealer runs the diagnostics and can't find anything wrong and now I'm just waiting for the next time it fails.

At least next time, I'll visit the dealer straight away!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Cruisin'

Outside Air Temp Indicator

Received a call from the Service Manager last evening. They have had my 05 for 5 days. He mentioned that the serviceman found the problem to be the Outdoor Temperature Control Unit. A replacement was put on order, but the unit is on backorder with no estimated release date for shipping. Service Manager is "guessing" 4 to 6 weeks. Because of the error code that would be generated, I was told that the faulty control unit will have to remain in place until the new one arrives. Should give me lots of practice removing and replacing the fuse.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Pro

Still working...

Mine hasn't misbehaved since my initial posting about the problem back in June.

But the fact that the OAT controller is on backorder with Acura hints that this problem may be quite widespread. I'd think a TSB will probably surface on this sooner or later, especially now that '05's are showing up with the problem.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Cruisin'

Still Working

We can only hope! BTW - thanks for the insight on the problem, Kosh.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Racer

The problem with the cars is in the programming.

A few of the new TLs managed to make it out of the factory with a bug in the system. To make a long story short, it is like 1/700 cars that has it, but the cars that get "---" on the exterior temp display also have a little issue with the car going into "insomnia mode"

Basically the car's computer won't shut down and it eventually drains the battery. This issue can only be dealt with by updating the software used in the car.

FYI: The folks that first found this issue were the service department at Peruzzi Acura in West Chester, PA (if you want to call to confirm what I am saying).

Cheers!
Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by flylow
Did manual reset and everything was ok for 2 weeks, then reading spaced out again. Took back to dealer to trouble shoot and fix. Dealer assumed a weak battery (I saw no indication of this, started fine and lights fine etc.) and followed a manufacturers "techline report" and replaced the battery. Things seem ok, at least for three days. More to come I am sure. gg
History: Oct. 1, 2004 received vehicle
Oct. 3, 2004 oat spaces continued to drive and reset fuse or batt cable
Oct. 10, 2004 dealer replaces oat sensor but problem persists
Dec. 8, 2004 dealer replaces battery (techline memo)

Jan. 19, 2005 (today) no further problems experienced to date other than misc. mud slides and flooding.

Is it (1) temp sensor (not likely as temp works after reset)
(2) Computer/software (if computer error then diagnostic should show, if software then all production vehicles in phase should have same bug)
(3) Battery (seems illogical that manufacturer would use the oat space out to indicate a weak battery)

No answer so far. Does anyone know how to turn off navi or at least ensure that it is off when key is turned off?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:00 AM
slipstl

Exclamation Lost outside air temp, climate, radio presets & phone

I had the problem described in this thread on Sunday morning. The Outside Temp was displaying dashes, the bluetooth was working but the phone didn't show as connected in the display, the climate control settings were gone, and all the radio presets were gone. I pulled and reset the #7 fuse and all is working again. Thanks to all who left the information.

I printed the thread and faxed it to my dealer Monday morning. He called the Acura regional rep in Chicago and have concluded that a bad Navi unit is the culprit. They have ordered a new one and will be replacing it on 2/21. I questioned that the Navi was performing fine but was assured that this was all connected together. This still feels a little like guessing to me but I feel obligated to go with it.

I'll keep posted if the problem occurs again.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Cruisin'

It just keeps getting better and better

Liptons - Your post certainly puts a new twist on things.

When my Outdoor Temperature Indicator flatlined and my radio and heater settings disappeared; the ONLY items still in memory were those addresses listed in the Nav. I'm still waiting for the Outdoor Temperature Unit Controller. Dealer has no idea as to when it will be in. However - comma - if it is any consolation, the Outdoor Temperature Indication has been working just fine.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Racer

Recurrent loss of OAT, Phone and presets.

I have an 05 and have experienced loss of OAT, phone and radio info in the upper display. This has happened three times now in cool weather. Usually the first thing I notice is the loss of the phone icon in the upper display.
I disconnect the negative battery terminal and everything resets. I have to enter the security codes in the navi, radio and enter the presets again. It's a pain in the ass and not supposed to be a recurring ordeal..
From the number of posts here, it seems that there a flaw in the system. There are other threads floating around of battery problems related to this. I will call the dealership tomorrow and see what they advise.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by liptons
I had the problem described in this thread on Sunday morning. The Outside Temp was displaying dashes, the bluetooth was working but the phone didn't show as connected in the display, the climate control settings were gone, and all the radio presets were gone. I pulled and reset the #7 fuse and all is working again. Thanks to all who left the information.

I printed the thread and faxed it to my dealer Monday morning. He called the Acura regional rep in Chicago and have concluded that a bad Navi unit is the culprit. They have ordered a new one and will be replacing it on 2/21. I questioned that the Navi was performing fine but was assured that this was all connected together. This still feels a little like guessing to me but I feel obligated to go with it.

Damn, Acura is going to be replacing a ton of navis if the regional rep is correct...Thanks for the post and information.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My outdoor temp display flatlined and I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery for four (4) seconds, then reconnected it. The temp display came back and I lost NO audio or any other settings. Piece of cake!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:30 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ewan766
Another me too post. I had this happen a couple of weeks after getting the car. I ignored it, just thinking that I'd get it fixed on my first service. I wasn't able to drive the car over one weekend and when I went to start it on Monday, it wouldn't!

A few days later, my battery was drained so much that not even a light would come on when I opened the door. I had it on a charger so that I could take it to the dealer. Of course, then the temperature shows up, the dealer runs the diagnostics and can't find anything wrong and now I'm just waiting for the next time it fails.

At least next time, I'll visit the dealer straight away!
This is EXACTLY what happened to me. Ignored it for a week or two, went on a trip and came back to a dead battery Monday morning. Acura replaced the battery and sent me home, saying they couldn't find anything else. I had no troubles with it for about two and a half months. Well, it happened again this weekend, the temp. reading is flat-lined and the pre-sets are all screwed up. So I'm taking it back TODAY and printing out this thread to give to the service department. My '05 was delivered in Oct. '04 by the way.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
Damn, Acura is going to be replacing a ton of navis if the regional rep is correct...Thanks for the post and information.
A good prediction huh?
After having several episodes of losing my OAT reading, Bluetooth, phone icon and climate control info on the upper display, I called the dealership and was given an appointment next week to get a new navi. Looks like liptons was correct when he wrote that this was the cure for the problem.

There is an increasing number of posts with these symptoms and you best get to your dealership soon before Navi units are back ordered for a year or Acura decides it's too expensive to replace the entire unit. "Remember the tranny issue"

Damn,I hate to take my car for any major interior work. I don't have a single rattle or dent. Last visit with another Acura, I got 2 free dents in the hood..

Old 02-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

All of us have the problem yet.....

Hi fellow flat liners......
I too had the flat line problem and was too busy to take the car to the dealer. I ended up with a dead battery as SouthernBoy stated would happen. Once the car was jump started though the gauge came back. With the replaced battery from the dealer the gauge has been fine as well. My biggest concern though is the service advisors had no previous problems of this type reported by any TL owner before me. Why is it that a bunch of us on this Forum have it yet my dealer and the Acura support folks at corporate have no idea?
Thus my problem is not fixed, only the symptoms.
If anyone finds out more about our problem's cause etc. please update the rest of us. And while you are at it, please educate Acura corporate on the fix as well.
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 02-15-2005, 09:51 AM
5th Gear

Update

Acura still has my car. I took it in yesterday afternoon and explained everything again and gave them the print-out of the thread. They still appear to have never heard of this before but at least yesterday I felt like they were listening and registered that this isn't a simple battery issue. The service guy said there aren't any TSBs for this problem yet but that once a problem such as this gets air in the chat rooms that corporate usually gets on it.

The tech working on the car also called last night to hear from me first hand what the problem is--and didn't rely solely on the service dept. written description--whihc is what I wish they had done the first time. At this point we haven't heard back from them on anything but I'm hopeful they are trying to resolve it this time.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by liptons

Getting my Navi Unit replaced next Tuesday. Same symptoms.

Quick Reply: Outside air temp reading spaces out...