Outside air temp reading spaces out...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One year old...

And Happy Birthday to this thread. One year old today.
WOOO HOOO!

(Too bad that, a year later, there still doesn't appear to be a definite cause or fix identified).
Old 06-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Found a fuse puller, along with some spare fuses!

Just FYI guys, I found a white fuse puller in the fuse box under the hood of car, just next to the intake hose. This fuse puller works on the fuses in the driver's compartment too...

The fuse box under the hood also houses some spare fuses, which is a good thing to know!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yah I used the puller recently.

I was not able to get the temp reading to work again, so I'm going to the dealer, was going there for another reason anyway. I would just unhook the battery and see if it just needs to be reset but I don't know yet if that might lock the radio.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 AM
bef
Anthracite Quartz

Great Find DeeW!!

I've been looking for that puller for months. I bought a "universal" puller from Pep Boys but found out that it was too big to pull the mini fuses due to the sides of the holder.

I used to use a long nosed plier but the head of the fuse got chewed up so I couldn't grip it. I then started using a DIP chip extractor but since it didn't really grab it by the sides, the fuse would fly out and I would hope that it didn't drop into a spot I couldn't reach.

I finally put the #7 fuse in an Add-A-Fuse holder which makes it easy to pull out and reinsert.

Hopefully Acura will fix the flatline problem or at least acknowledge that it exists (the dealer says they have never heard of it).
Old 06-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Another Member of the ---F club !!

Wanted to say that this forum has been very helpful to those of us with the strange ---F problem. Just reset my 05 TL with the removal of fuse 7 trick and worked very well. All is back to normal.... my xm radio presets... climate control... and even repairing with my phone. Even reading where to find the fuse puller made the job a breeze. This was my second episode. Reported my first to the Acura dealer and even sent him the link to this forum posting but did not hear back before my battery was fully drained from just 2 to 3 days of not driving. Have not taken my car in yet as it only has 3300 miles and not ready for other service. Also didn't want them experimenting on my car until a real solution is found.

Now if Acura could just come up with a more definate reason and fix I'd be real happy. It actually must be pretty infrequent as many posters state that their particular dealer has not heard of the problem and so far no specific service bulletin as far as I can tell.

I've read all posts on this forum about this situation and I can't come up with a pattern. Most likely a software or memory issue but I guess we just have to watch and wait ... and keep the fuse puller handy!

But for now I'm at least appreciative of the fellow "---F club" members' solutions so far that will help save my battery.

Thanks, John
Old 06-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up Flat-line OAT

Originally Posted by flylow
My last entry on this subject, hopefully. Flatline third time last week. Dealer replaced "Module Assy Display" per tech line. Stated that the display would not go off and continued to draw current all the time thus pulling down the battery. I don't have the tech line, but I can list the comments from the service order.

comments . . . . .
39051 - SEP - A42ZA
U0080510
JOHN TECH LINE REF# 1569941
Yep! I gave this message to the service manager at the dealer and he got the info from Ref 1569941. The service manager said they changed the navigation system, not the MID.

I had this work done about a week ago and the comment from Tech Line was an engineer was still working on this problem.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Car Addict

Mine has been flatlined for a month or so, and pulling fuses did not help it.

Looks like I will drop off the car at the dealer tomorrow morning.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine went to --F the other day while i was driving, then a few seconds later showed 111F, seems like when the car thinks the temp is over 112F it goes blank. it slowly brought itself back down to 94F, and has been fine since then, haven't touched any fuses.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Different Causes for Temp flatline

Reading the posts I think there are at least a couple different instances where the temp reading goes flatline. Others can see if they agree.

1. bad temp sensor. no other car functions involved

2. very hot day with reading above sensor limits. temp comes back when it cools off.

3. Intermittent flatline that comes back shortly or when car is stopped and restarted.

4. The real puzzling one that I and others have. In this case the reading goes flatline, and the climate control settings and radio presets revert to some settings in the past saved in memory. Also the HF link is lost and apparently the rear defroster stops working. In this case the battery is drawn down over a matter of days unless the system is reset by disconnecting the battery, or sometimes by removing fuses 7 and/or I believe 21. If the fuse technique works all climate and radio settings come right back to where they were before the flatline. Of course if the battery is drained all is lost and you have to reset the radio and Nav codes and all the presets.

Is this what others have observed?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Team Anthracite Member

This may help, go to this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116208 and see posts 19 and 20. I def had symptoms from your item 4. Knock on wood car is fine since they fixed it.

Originally Posted by Ricochet Rabbit
Reading the posts I think there are at least a couple different instances where the temp reading goes flatline. Others can see if they agree.

1. bad temp sensor. no other car functions involved

2. very hot day with reading above sensor limits. temp comes back when it cools off.

3. Intermittent flatline that comes back shortly or when car is stopped and restarted.

4. The real puzzling one that I and others have. In this case the reading goes flatline, and the climate control settings and radio presets revert to some settings in the past saved in memory. Also the HF link is lost and apparently the rear defroster stops working. In this case the battery is drawn down over a matter of days unless the system is reset by disconnecting the battery, or sometimes by removing fuses 7 and/or I believe 21. If the fuse technique works all climate and radio settings come right back to where they were before the flatline. Of course if the battery is drained all is lost and you have to reset the radio and Nav codes and all the presets.

Is this what others have observed?
Old 07-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the tip about the number 7 fuse. The way mine occurred the temperature reading said it was 115F. I knew it was not 115, but thought the system was adjusting and things would come back to normal shortly. At the same time, I was using the nav system and the directions were not correct---shortly after that my presets were gone and the ----F was on. I called the dealer and they had never heard of this happening. I then searched this site and found the fuse 7 fix. How long does this fix work? Is there any reason to have the dealer look at the car now?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Car Addict

7.2.05 Update:

Got my car back from the dealer this morning. They replaced the Navigation module, said that a virus had messed it up. The temp feature works fine now.

I'll post if I have any reccurence of the problem. I am at 7700 miles.

As a tangent, if someone has posted problems and has also had a dead battery, it's not out of the realm of possibility to have a system act weird after a dead battery.

I will say, I did not have this problem with the flatlined temperature until after I got my car washed, and the guy was wiping down the engine and then I told him not to bother. I honestly think he somehow jiggled something.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Pro Stock John:

What did you take your vehicle in for that they replaced the navigation module?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

I will wait for Acura to come up with a proper fix for this problem before i take it in. I DO NOT have Navi. My temp flatlines ---- radio presets disappear, and hvac changes setting. If this was connected to a Navi problem why do non-navi vehicles suffer this same flatline issue?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:30 AM
Cruisin'

OK, All worked well after the navi replacement. However, I updated my MPx220 firmware to 1.40 and now I cannot pair it with my TL. It gave me the similar response to when the navi was acting up. (if you did not know, when the navi is acting up, you cannot pair your phone). However, I recall the phone working before I updated the phone.

I am not sure if the bluetooth was updated in the phone but I get to the point of naming the phone then it bumps back to the main menu without confirming the pairing of the phone.

My wife's phone (Motorola v551) is still paired. I may delete and try to pair her phone again to see if it pairs OK. I have been able to pair my MPx220 with a Laptop and a PDA without any problems.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Car Addict

I brought it there for something else, but the dealer treated the flatlined display problem as any warranty issue.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Pro

All is quiet...

I'm not sure what to make of this problem.

Since I originally started this thread, early last summer, I had 2 more occurrances of the flatlining prior to fall. But now, nearly a year since the last occurance, it hasn't happened again.

Where I live, the car has been exposed to temperatures in excess of 100 degrees (sitting in the sun on an asphalt parking lot) for a number of days in a row and the display has yet to flatline. I've seen the normal calibration occur on these very hot days, but it only lasts a few seconds at most.

The dealer has not touched the car. The only things that have changed are that the number of miles driven has increased and I updated my NAVI DVD to the 3.40 release last spring. Neither of which, I would think, would have any relationship to the problem.

Very weird...
Old 08-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Ted,

I don't think this thread problem (flatline) we are discussing occurs in the '04 TL. When our temp display goes flatline, it doesn't come back unless we disconnect the battery or fuse.

What you are seeing is overtemp (in my own words). I live in Phoenix and see the flatline very often (summer). There may be a limit to how hot the reading can display, about 114 degrees. I don't know for sure but my sensor has been replaced, prior to replacing the navi system for the problem we are discussing. I don't think there is anything the dealer can do about the overtemp unless they suggest to TechLine to re-program the MID (display higher temperatures) or use a different temperature sensor (sensor for larger temperature range, i.e. -20 to 150 degrees F). It may be just cutting corners with the sensor?

Regards,
Scott
Old 08-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Got my car back from the dealer this morning. They replaced the Navigation module, said that a virus had messed it up.
:dog:

Now, THAT'S hilarious! I think a virus messed your repair-dude's brain up.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Pro

Mine is an '04...

I don't think this thread problem (flatline) we are discussing occurs in the '04 TL.
There have been some '04 owners with it, I'm one of them. If you read the original post I made opening this thread, you'll see that I had the stuck display and had to pull the battery ground to fix it. In fact, I was the one who first mentioned removing the ground for a count of 5 as a work around. It was a later poster who provided the pulling & reseating fuse #7 as abd alternative work around.

Based on my experience, the sensor isn't the culprit. I have the factory manual and tested my sensor per their instructions while the display was flatlined and the sensor tested out fine. I also ran the NAVI diagnostics routine outlined in the manual and the OAT circuit passed with no opens or shorts. Yet, the display remained flatlined even after passing diagnostics.

I still feel like this is a software bug of some sort that requires a narrow set of conditions to make it show itself.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Pro

I have an 04 TL and I got it a few times.

I don't seem to get it when I get IN the car.

i get it when I am SITTING IN TRAFFIC on a hot hot day. Once I start driving, it goes down from 115 pretty quickly to the 90s or so.

Maybe the sensor is in a BAD place? I also notice the temperature is ALWAYS showing hotter on the display than it really is outside.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, but I DOUBT the outside temp display has much to do with the inside air.. my AC in Auto mode is still on and doing fine even when the display is ---F.

How come I used to have a crappy GM car, but it gave the the right tempoerature and never had issues like this?

Any fix please?

Mike
Old 08-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

add my 05 to the flatlined list

waiting for wifey out in the parking lot today....

and guess what?

- - - degrees F

DAMMIT!

Called Acura (the dealer was right down the street)... they took the car in, said they had 4-5 cars that this happened to, and re-programmed the PCM.

temp corrected to 86 degrees, and then on the way home after stopping at Petsmart... back to 111 degrees slowly lowering down to the upper 90's.

WHAT THE HELL

Dealer told me that since they have had the car for about 200 miles of the 600 that are on the car... if they couldn't fix it on monday, he was taking the car back.

GOOD DAMN RIDDANCE

I'll go buy a freakin' accord - this car has been the WORST vehicle I have ever owned.... and not worth $35k if this is the kind of crap I have to put up with.

So far....688 miles on the car

new tires (car was pulling to the right with perfect alignment)
car took 4 days of detailing to get the paint right (clayed)
car delivered with trim missing on drivers side door
car delivered with grease (a lot of it) smeared all into the driver's side mat
took 3 tries to get clear bra on right... and it's still screwed up

ad naseum

great dealership - prompt and courteous service... PIECE OF CRAP CAR...and definately NOT worth $35k.

oh, and my POS chevy avalanche (that has a suspension pop every time I turn left) has NEVER had the temperature sensor freak out.

doug
Old 09-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

well

it came back ... --- for temp ... intermittent...

dealer called acura and got them to finally admit to knowing about the problem.

tech told the dealer that this is a timing issue upon powerup with the navi and the temp sensor... and that an engineering fix to stagger the start time of the two units was in the works.

it will consist of some kind of delay module that will be installed.

that's what techline told them....anyway

doug
Old 09-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

Service bulletin Temp display

Acura has released a service bulletin which applies to 2005 TL with Nav from VIN 19uua6...5a000001 thru 19uua6...5a30286. They are in the mail or simply see your local dealer. I got the fix yesterday,so far so good
Old 09-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LAWNMORE
Acura has released a service bulletin which applies to 2005 TL with Nav from VIN 19uua6...5a000001 thru 19uua6...5a30286. They are in the mail or simply see your local dealer. I got the fix yesterday,so far so good
Thanks for the post. I think you have a typo in the VIN number range. However, I am not sure which number is in error.

I think you are missing a zero for the last VIN number range. That is to say, 19UUA6...5A030286
Old 09-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I have not had the flatline problem. But I had my A1 service visit last week and my advisor informed me of the issue. They made some fix, but apparently it was not hardware. He said it was a software upgrade. I did not ask details, but perhaps it is a firmware flashing for the MID?

My MID sends regards... 92F
Old 09-16-2005, 02:33 AM
Intermediate

Service bulletin Temp display

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

amy chance you have the techline # on that document?

doug
Old 09-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Here you go http://www.xpehobo.com/misc/b05_029.pdf

It was posted in this thread.