O_O just happeend no idea wtf it is

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 01:43 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

O_O just happeend no idea wtf it is

so for a while now my CEL flashes every now and then; i've taken it to the dealer and there are never any codes stored.

on my way back from the movies tonight; the CEL lit up; considering i had 3 other ppl in the car, and like 10 more min to drive i drove back to where their cars were parked.

that's when i first heard it. everytime i break, there is some screeching noise coming from the back of my driverside, rear wheel well; and well the noise scares the crap out of me, soudns like shredded metal and the sound only comes up when i am breaking. When i accelerate there is nothing.

so i deduct that it's something regarding my brakes or at least distal to engine. So why is the CEL lit?

i'll be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow but still, i'd like to hear some input... it just doesnt seem to make any sense; what could possibly fall loose or get shredded in that section of the car?
Old 07-10-2008 | 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

The cel has nothing to do with having worn out rear brakes would be my guess.
The brake pads have little metal clips that hit the disks when the pads are worn out and make a screech.
There is not much else it could be unless your caliper is falling off.

The cel could be anything, from a bad plug, bad gas, loose gas cap, egr system plugged up, dirty air filter, and loads of other things.

Brett
Old 07-10-2008 | 04:29 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

yeap, rear rotors needed replacement.... i've always replaced them ahead of schedule on my previous car as well; so i've never heard that sound .... god it scared me so much..

CEL light....so go figure, fucking dealership resets everything BEFORE they tried to pick up the CEL code....and then the technician looked at the sheet they print out and was like..UH there was a CEL right?.....they checked all the sensor plugs and stuff and they still can't find anything; they're suggesting i try Techron which they say is better than seafoam.

apparently eventho my car only has 22k miles on it; there's been quite a bit of carbon build up and that may be leading to the CEL flashes
Old 07-10-2008 | 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I dont buy into the cleaning stuff, our TL has over 30,000 miles and never had any cleaner added, just gas and oil changes so far.
The work van (phone company) has 145,000 miles on it without any cleaner, work does not pay for that, no cel, runs like new.
This is my 5th van, none of them ever had any cleaners added to anything, and none ever had problems.

I never added it to any car I ever owned, and never needed it.

I checked my brakes the other day, the front pads (brembo) are at about 30%, the backs at 90%.
You should go through at least two sets of pads before you need rotors, and on my TL, it looks like the back pads will go to 90,000 miles or more...

I think you can get new back rotors for about $30.00, and the fronts (brembo) for under $70.00.

I dont ever get rotors turned, when new ones are so cheap.

Brett
Old 07-10-2008 | 10:46 PM
Drifting

dont WOT all the time fool!!!! haha, JP.... Techron wont be as good as seafoam man