Noise coming from front right wheel/tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise coming from front right wheel/tire

This past week or so,i've noticed a sound coming from my front right wheel/tire. It sounds like something is lost, but i cant pinpoint to what exactly it is. But i know for sure it's comign from there. I had my friend listen to it wheni was driving. It happens when i go over bump (speedbumps) at slow speeds. What do you think this could be?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by TheBigWhite 21
This past week or so,i've noticed a sound coming from my front right wheel/tire. It sounds like something is lost, but i cant pinpoint to what exactly it is. But i know for sure it's comign from there. I had my friend listen to it wheni was driving. It happens when i go over bump (speedbumps) at slow speeds. What do you think this could be?
?? Sounds like it is lost?? Loose?
Banging around?
Squealing?
More info please.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Instructor

sorry, mistyped something. it sounds like something is lose, and has a deep sounding noise everytime i go over like speedbumps or going up my driveway at a slow moving speed. and it's only coming from one side, that area in the front tire/wheel...
Old 03-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Try checking the brake pads. It might be the brake pad wear sensor if you haven't changed pads in a while. DMZ was getting some noise from his front Brembo pads even when the brake pedal wasn't applied; turned out he needed new brake pads. The tolerances must be pretty tight.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Try checking the brake pads. It might be the brake pad wear sensor if you haven't changed pads in a while. DMZ was getting some noise from his front Brembo pads even when the brake pedal wasn't applied; turned out he needed new brake pads. The tolerances must be pretty tight.
My car is still kinda new. I havent touched my brake pads or changed them since i got my car, do you think i should check it anyway? And do thos brake pad wear sensor usually act up or get loose or something?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
My car is still kinda new. I havent touched my brake pads or changed them since i got my car, do you think i should check it anyway? And do thos brake pad wear sensor usually act up or get loose or something?
Can't hurt to check them, especially if you have over 10K miles on the brakes.
The brake pad "sensor" is actually a little metal tab or extension sticking out from the pad towards the disc-- it is supposed to generate a squeak, and later a grinding noise, when the brake pad wears down and the disc/rotor starts to grind down the tab/sensor. Apparently the tolerances are pretty close on the Brembos (manual transmission cars).
I just realized- someone else here mentioned that they bent a metal shield near a rotor and caused noise as well. Either pop the wheel off and look or have the dealer do it-- better safe than sorry.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it sound like its popping? I had that occur with my 04 TL. The tech said its the Tie End Rod that needs to be replaced. It connects from your wheel to the axle. They replaced mine and the noise died down but didnt completely go away. When the car warms up the noise goes away.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
Does it sound like its popping? I had that occur with my 04 TL. The tech said its the Tie End Rod that needs to be replaced. It connects from your wheel to the axle. They replaced mine and the noise died down but didnt completely go away. When the car warms up the noise goes away.
that sounds like it may be the problem i am having. i thought it was do to the coilover install.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Instructor

i thought it would be the coilover install as well, but i took my friends advice, he thinks it could be just a simple fix or something, so he just, "just try tightening the lugnuts, see if any our loose". so this morning i went to tighten my lugnuts on my front right wheel, and two of them were loose, one was looser than the other, where i didnt have to apply too much pressure i had. I dont know how they could be looose, but the i've never personally torqued or screwed them on myself> but i did have my tires rotated by the dealer about a month ago...so im guessing that could be it.

Anyway, after i tightened them, i didnt really hear the noise anymore..and i went slow on bumps. but ill test it again when i come home and go up on my driveway, if the noise comes back..then yeah, i guess it's somethign else..=/
Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Pro

but ill test it again when i come home and go up on my driveway, if the noise comes back..then yeah, i guess it's somethign else..=/

did it go away? i would hate to think i am driving around on loose lugnuts??
Old 03-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Pro

problem solved

for anyone reading this thread and having the same problem.

Mine turned out to be that the front sway bar was loose. it had unscrewed down to about 1 thread and was almost ready to fall off.

I asked the acura tech and he said he had seen this about four times already (all on the type s). Just a fyi for you type s owners
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hardtimes

Mine turned out to be that the front sway bar was loose. it had unscrewed down to about 1 thread and was almost ready to fall off.

I asked the acura tech and he said he had seen this about four times already (all on the type s). Just a fyi for you type s owners
actually mine came back again. i dont know what it is. but reading your last post, it seemed liek it solved ths problem. I will check my sway bar then to see if it's lose. How did you check it? did you jus move it around ?

thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Pro

actually mine came back again. i dont know what it is. but reading your last post, it seemed liek it solved ths problem. I will check my sway bar then to see if it's lose. How did you check it? did you jus move it around ?

thanks
yes i did just move it around.. i did have it up on a lift when i did it so it made it much easier
Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Instructor

my sway bar appers to be in place, but i am still getting that noise, i dont know what to do now..=(
Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 AM
Instructor

did you find out what cause the noise? did you check the coilover??? please let us know
Old 05-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Torque down lug nuts to 90 ft/lb. Re torque after 100 miles. Should check this as maintenance. Safety.

Its like a snowmobile. I check every nut and bolt every year twice. Don't want a loose part flying off at 100 MPH. Safety
Old 05-26-2007, 01:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the ones on my '04 5AT are loose also. It sounds like a "clanging" noise when the front wheels hit a bump. I hear it mostly when I am driving along side a wall or row of cars where the noise reflects back into my ears. Sway bar endlinks bolts do come loose at times as they have to pivot and sometimes a hard hit into a pothole or a curb will loosen it up. I gotta go crawl underneath my car and tighten them up.

Originally Posted by Hardtimes

Old 05-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Instructor

I still hear it. Even when the car is stationary, if just move the car forward and backwards, i can hear this kinda of squeaking sound, and i hear it around the wheel ares. i dont know where exaclty it's coming from.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:12 PM
7th Gear

It may be in your suspension

I was just in an accident and the guy hit me in the front left wheel. I had the car repaired but there was a rattling noise in that wheel. You can tell its that wheel by driving on a slightly rough patch or a very slight bump (i.e. entering a driveway). It was obvious to me that it was that wheel because that's what got repaired, but you may have the same problem without it being so obvious. try slowly riding up a slight drave way curb at an angle to see if it happens on one wheel or the other. If you can pinpoint that, then you know its something in the suspension. When I took it back to get it fixed they had to send it to a racing specialty shop. They said that the suspension wasn't set right or something stupid like that and that's all it was. Sorry, I don't know anymore details than that. If it seems like you're having the same issue but you can't get the dealer to figure it out, give me a buzz and I'll try get the name of the shop that fixed mine and they might be able to talk to your dealer or whomever.

Good Luck,
Mike