No start. Cranks, fuel pump primes but no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start. Cranks, fuel pump primes but no start

Hello,

Im new to Acura's and since Ive owned my 2004 TL automatic, Ive frequented and gained some useful information off this site. Now that Ive owned mine for about 4 months and have come across a serious issue, its time to join.

Heres whats up: I bought the 2004 TL about 4 months ago. it had about 150k miles on it. Since the day Ive owned it, its performed perfectly with no issues other than needing new brake pads, rotors and regular oil/filter change. So, yesterday, I was really low on gas and started the car to take it to the gas station about 1.5 miles up the street. It started up fine, then as I was exiting our neighborhood it began idling super low then died. Of course my first thought was I had ran the tank empty. It started back up and I rushed the car to the gas station. I turned it off, filled it up (premium of course) then started it backk up and went to the grocery store about another mile away. It drove fine as usual but when I got into the parking space it it started idling low again and died. It would not restart and I had to get it towed home. It cranks and cranks but doesnt start.

After a lot of research I went out and removed the cover to the fuel pump and had my son turn the key to 'ON' I could hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds. Then he turned the key to start and the engine cranked and cranked but wouldnt start. While it was cranking, the fuel pump made no noise. It only made noise during initial prime. So, if it primes, but doesnt pump during cranking, I thought maybe the relay is faulty?

So, after reading a lot about Honda/Acura fuel pump relays I began my search to my no start issue. I keep reading and seeing videos about a large fuel pump relay that owners take apart and re-solder. My fuel pump relay is small, blue, epoxy sealed and is located about an inch above the main fuse panel along with the IG COIL relay, and the FI MAIN relay (both are a red color). I took all 3 of them out and performed the same tests on all 3. Fed the relay 12v, heard the click, then continuity tested the 2 remaining tabs on the relay. All 3 relays passed the test multiple times. I put them back in, tried to start and same thing crank crank crank no start. So, maybe the fuel pump is bad? I tap on it softly with a dead blow hammer (to break loose any possible binding) and again try to start, no dice.

So, with my relays seemingly working fine, I took off my air filter housing and manually opened the butterfly valve. it smelled faintly of gas but not as strong as you'd think from cranking so many times and not starting.. So, Im stumped. I want to check the coil packs for spark, to eliminate any issues with ignition, but I dont know how. I have also checked the fuel pump fuse and it has perfect continuity.

Since the pump makes noise in the key on position, and then no noise during cranking, am I having a fuel issue? Or does this sound more like ignition?

Old 07-31-2016, 03:42 PM
Intermediate

So, after looking and looking for the main relay with the fuel pump relay (the one with the circuit board that people fix with solder) I could not find it under the dash. But, I did remove the drivers side kick panel at the fuse box and found a little blue relay that said FUEL PUMP right below it. Also two red relays that say IG COIL and FI MAIN. So does a 2004 Acura not have this main relay/fuel relay I keep reading about, or does it have 2 fuel pump relays?

Name:  20160729_202220_zpsjllrqrad.jpg
Views: 18599
Size:  177.6 KB
Old 07-31-2016, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

So I took the blue relay back out, and jumped the terminals that feed power to the pump. I went back to the fuel pump, my son cranked the car, and the the fuel pump came right on and pumped the whole time he was cranking the engine. Still, no start! crank crank crank.

I removed the fuel line and put a pressure gauge on the fuel pump. 56lbs while pumping, then it holds 52lbs when shut off. So looks like my fuel pump is working just fine.

Next step, I spray starting fluid in the throttle body. No start still! I took a coil pack and spark plug out, had my son crank while I watched. There was spark but it seemed slow and weak, but that is probably due to my battery dying and cranking slower.

So, after I get my battery back from autozone (my charger is broken) I will try again. If I spray starting fluid in the in throttle body, and it wont start, Im thinking the problem must be in the ignition. If it does start, then I must have something wrong with whatever controls my injectors, because the fuel pump works and I have the relay bypassed.

I have head of the immobilizer, and have watched the videos of the green key symbol blinking while trying to start the car when your key transponder isnt working. This does not happen in my case, so I do not believe its the immobilizer, but I could be wrong Im not a honda expert.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear

My 2003 Acura TLS did the same thing just a few days ago. First starting with my shift being stuck in park, then my car not starting, then it would start but die again.. (along with my radio and clock resetting itself and my lights flickering). First we thought it was the battery, then maybe the alternator... Today after it dying multiple times in the road and having to push it out of the road I had a friend run codes. The code 83-1 was shown, after hours of research all I found was the code meant ECM failure. I googled how to do a factory restart on the ECM, tried it, cranked right back up, then died again. Now I'm not sure if the problem is a wire connected to the ECM or if I need to replace the ECM altogether. Im not sure if this helped any because I'm still unsure what my problem is fully, but run codes on it.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Well, turns my timing belt broke. I didnt even think to check this before, because when the engine stuttered and died, it made no bad metal on metal sounds like you'd think from pistons hitting valves. It died as I was pulling into a parking stall at less then 5mph, so hopefully by some miracle it didnt bend any valves. I will have to pu a timing belt kit on it, and rotate the engine slowly to see if anything hits. If not, Ill try and start it up
Old 08-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,012 Likes on 758 Posts
Fingers crossed you got lucky and didn't bend anything. Lets up for the best!
Old 04-21-2020, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by adam83
Hello,

Im new to Acura's and since Ive owned my 2004 TL automatic, Ive frequented and gained some useful information off this site. Now that Ive owned mine for about 4 months and have come across a serious issue, its time to join.

Heres whats up: I bought the 2004 TL about 4 months ago. it had about 150k miles on it. Since the day Ive owned it, its performed perfectly with no issues other than needing new brake pads, rotors and regular oil/filter change. So, yesterday, I was really low on gas and started the car to take it to the gas station about 1.5 miles up the street. It started up fine, then as I was exiting our neighborhood it began idling super low then died. Of course my first thought was I had ran the tank empty. It started back up and I rushed the car to the gas station. I turned it off, filled it up (premium of course) then started it backk up and went to the grocery store about another mile away. It drove fine as usual but when I got into the parking space it it started idling low again and died. It would not restart and I had to get it towed home. It cranks and cranks but doesnt start.

After a lot of research I went out and removed the cover to the fuel pump and had my son turn the key to 'ON' I could hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds. Then he turned the key to start and the engine cranked and cranked but wouldnt start. While it was cranking, the fuel pump made no noise. It only made noise during initial prime. So, if it primes, but doesnt pump during cranking, I thought maybe the relay is faulty?

So, after reading a lot about Honda/Acura fuel pump relays I began my search to my no start issue. I keep reading and seeing videos about a large fuel pump relay that owners take apart and re-solder. My fuel pump relay is small, blue, epoxy sealed and is located about an inch above the main fuse panel along with the IG COIL relay, and the FI MAIN relay (both are a red color). I took all 3 of them out and performed the same tests on all 3. Fed the relay 12v, heard the click, then continuity tested the 2 remaining tabs on the relay. All 3 relays passed the test multiple times. I put them back in, tried to start and same thing crank crank crank no start. So, maybe the fuel pump is bad? I tap on it softly with a dead blow hammer (to break loose any possible binding) and again try to start, no dice.

So, with my relays seemingly working fine, I took off my air filter housing and manually opened the butterfly valve. it smelled faintly of gas but not as strong as you'd think from cranking so many times and not starting.. So, Im stumped. I want to check the coil packs for spark, to eliminate any issues with ignition, but I dont know how. I have also checked the fuel pump fuse and it has perfect continuity.

Since the pump makes noise in the key on position, and then no noise during cranking, am I having a fuel issue? Or does this sound more like ignition?
yes
Old 04-21-2020, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
well you have an automatic so your more than likely ok on the valves............good luck