No heat after discovering stop leak in cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
No heat after discovering stop leak in cooling system

I discovered stop leak in my cooling system after my head gasket blew about 2 months ago. Had my thermostat, hoses, radiator, water pump, and timing belt replaced all at once. However, my heat still does not come on. Looked at the switch under the hood and confirmed that it works... so now I'm not sure what it could be. I don't think it'd be the motor, but is there something from the stop leak that could be causing no heat production?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Maybe it clogged up your heater core. Unplug the hoses that go to the core and flush it out with a hose. If it's blocked, it will give you some resistance. If not, at least you've flushed it out.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
So you replaced everything heat/cooling related except for https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ve-diy-747304/ ? If it had stop leak it would most likely be in every part along the way to & from the radiator. Which could have a clog anywhere along that path. If that wasn’t replaced I’d check and or replace it to, pretty cheap compared to everything else you had done or replaced. And for me at least, I’m not trusting enuff to not change it & hope there ok. Also did you have the heater core checked or flushed out? This is all assuming the fan blower and everything else is working still as normal. Does your AC work still? And have you checked to make sure your coolant is actually circulating through your engine and back?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LGcbp8
So you replaced everything heat/cooling related except for https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ve-diy-747304/ ? If it had stop leak it would most likely be in every part along the way to & from the radiator. Which could have a clog anywhere along that path. If that wasn’t replaced I’d check and or replace it to, pretty cheap compared to everything else you had done or replaced. And for me at least, I’m not trusting enuff to not change it & hope there ok. Also did you have the heater core checked or flushed out? This is all assuming the fan blower and everything else is working still as normal. Does your AC work still? And have you checked to make sure your coolant is actually circulating through your engine and back?
i should probably call the shop that did the work to ask about the heater core because they mentioned trying to flush my system, but I really don't know what that entails. As for the heater control valve, that is the "switch" I was talking about that works. My AC works well. But no, I haven't actually checked or know how to check if my coolant is running all the way through the system. I haven't had any overheating issues, and I drove the car back from Oregon to Los Angeles about 1000 miles two weeks ago. Do I need to drain the coolant to test or flush the heater core then?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by losiglow
Maybe it clogged up your heater core. Unplug the hoses that go to the core and flush it out with a hose. If it's blocked, it will give you some resistance. If not, at least you've flushed it out.
i'm going to go to a shop next week and see if they can flush the heater core. does this require draining all of my coolant?? i wonder how much a new heater core costs... hmmmm