No Break Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation No Break Lights

Hi All,

I don't typically post cause I try to find everything by search but i'm at a loss on this one.

Long story short, i have no rear break lights. Here is what i've tried. I have replaced the brake switch located at the pedal with a genuine honda part, I also have an aftermarket one, which works, and i tested the one from my GF TL and nothing. All of those switches work in her car. I checked fuse 13 in the engine bay and that is good, swapped it out anyway just in case and nothing. I checked to see if there was any current going to the rear brake lights and came up with nothing, borrowed a snap on tool that just measures if there is current going through. I didn't check it with a multimeter as i don't have one.

Is there another brake light fuse somewhere, any idea what to check?

The parking lights work, signal lights work, no dash lights on except for a vsa light and triangle that is intermittent on and off. i have a wheel speed sensor that is on the fritz.

My car is a 2004 6spd.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

OK, quick update. I know this is a tricky one. I haven't really had a chance to troubleshoot. Yesterday, i started my car and noticed that my brake lights were on, so it went for a spin around the block, parked and... no brake lights again.

Is there another ground somewhere besides the trunk for the brake lights? Does anyone have access to a wiring schematic for the brake electrical system?

Thanks in advance, I'm really stumped by this. Most likely a loose connection somewhere.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
And this problem affects all 3 brake lights? Left, right and center?

I had a similar problem in my old Jetta, turns out it was just a lose connector. I'm not sure if its the case on the TL, but on my VW the problem was just under the glove box as that's where most cables that go in the back pass through. The reason why i'm asking if all 3 dont work at the same time is because if only your taillights were having a problem, then you'd know it was a wiring problem somewhere in the back as the only place all 3 lights meet is behind the glovebox.

I have a TL Haynes repair manual, i found the wiring diagram for you. It shows you how the circuit is wired but not the actual placement of fuses and cables.

It's the best i can do for now.

Click on the link to see in high res

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...723_131942.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...723_131955.jpg
The following users liked this post:
acvega (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Yes, all 3 lights are out, but only for the brakes, the parking lights still function.

Thanks a ton for the wiring diagram. this will definitely help in troubleshooting.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Racer

No problem

I checked the diagram and you say the fuse is good and so is the brake pedal switch, the only thing left is the actual wiring...either between the fuse and switch or switch and bulbs. You dont have very far to look to find the problem, its between the red lines

If I could guess, i'd say between fuse and switch is the problem. Probably some humidity got infiltrated.

The following users liked this post:
acvega (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Intermediate

Ok, problem fixed! Thank you polish_pat for the diagrams.

I bought a multimeter and starting checking voltages. At the under hood fuse box, it was 12.8v. At all the brake light connectors, it was 0.71v. At the brake pedal switch, the exit wire going to the brakes (white w/ black stripe, silver dots) and the incoming power wire from the harness block (red w/ silver dots) was also 0.71v.

Traced back the wires to the harness block under the dash and the red power wire that goes into the brake pedal switch was loose and came right out of the harness. Pushed it back in and boom, 12.8v all the way through and had brake lights again.

Secured the wires and snapped a shot and circled the wires that have to do with the brakes. Maybe this will come in handy some day.
Attached Thumbnails No Break Lights-img_20150723_232045.jpg  
Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acvega
Ok, problem fixed! Thank you polish_pat for the diagrams.

I bought a multimeter and starting checking voltages. At the under hood fuse box, it was 12.8v. At all the brake light connectors, it was 0.71v. At the brake pedal switch, the exit wire going to the brakes (white w/ black stripe, silver dots) and the incoming power wire from the harness block (red w/ silver dots) was also 0.71v.

Traced back the wires to the harness block under the dash and the red power wire that goes into the brake pedal switch was loose and came right out of the harness. Pushed it back in and boom, 12.8v all the way through and had brake lights again.

Secured the wires and snapped a shot and circled the wires that have to do with the brakes. Maybe this will come in handy some day.
AHA!! I knew it was the sneaky loose connector!! I'm glad you got it figured out!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check your horn fuse this sounds like the problem i had