New Spark Plugs = Disaster!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009 | 09:16 AM
Intermediate

New Spark Plugs = Disaster!!!

I changed my spark plugs, cabin filter, and air filter on Saturday. At first I used the Platinum Splitfire plugs in there becasue I didn't think it would be an issue. I drove around town for a little while and it was driving smooth then it started to go down hill from there. I go up to about 60 or 70 on the freeway and the check engine light came on...then it started to flash. I got the car back home and we looked at it and switched those plugs out for the NGK spark plugs that the service manual said to get but still the same thing. I took it to Autozone to have the CEL read and he said that it was misfiring on cylinders 1,3,5. I have so much faith in Acurazine so I came on here and researched it...and from the looks of things when other people have had this problem it was a coilpack. I'm going to buy a coil pack today and see if I can find one thats bad . I hope its nothing more than that...even so, does anyone know how this happens? Did those plugs cause the problem or could I have had a problem for a while and my computer didn't "catch" it until I changed out the plugs? Everything on the car was driving fine until I changed out the plugs.
Old 10-05-2009 | 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Is it running OK now with the OE plugs installed? If so, the cel needs time to recycle.
Years ago a fellow put Bosche plugs in a GM V-6 and they destroyed 2 coils, so stick with OE plugs as no peformance gain is to be expected with any plug.
Old 10-05-2009 | 10:45 AM
AZ Community Team

The coil packs are supposedly easy to break - very delicate.

If they got dropped, bumped, etc during the change, that may cause a problem.
Old 10-05-2009 | 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

seems like this may be the problem
Old 10-06-2009 | 12:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

you should not use, and i mean SHOULD NOT USE anything other than stock NGK Iridium plugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2009 | 08:45 AM
Intermediate

Could not using the stock NGK plugs have caused this to happen?
Old 10-06-2009 | 04:59 PM
6th Gear

The cel code yes but the coil packs shouldnt be extremely sensitive i have watched many of honda techs rough them around a bit i would say use the stock ngks del the cel code and drive it and see how it runs
Old 10-06-2009 | 07:18 PM
Intermediate

I tried but it rides rough and the check engine light just flashes which seems like something is wrong. I don't wanna ride around with it misfiring.
Old 10-07-2009 | 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 05TLon22s
I tried but it rides rough and the check engine light just flashes which seems like something is wrong. I don't wanna ride around with it misfiring.
did you install stock ngk iridiums back in? or is it behaving that way with the other plugs?

before you buy coils...try swapping one from a misfiring cylinder with a good one, and see if the code changes.

Last edited by Opel; 10-07-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-07-2009 | 10:19 AM
Intermediate

My new coil pack came in yesterday and I did the "one by one" method and found one to be bad (I'm assuming since I swapped it out and the car seems to be running great minus the fact I need to do my transmission fluid). I'm glad I found this site..saved me a lot of money and time trying to take it to the shop for a simple fix.
Old 10-09-2009 | 06:25 PM
Intermediate

Never ever use anything but OEM plugs. Never.
Old 10-10-2009 | 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Suh-C
Never ever use anything but OEM plugs. Never.
That's very safe advice. But you could modify it to say never use gimmick plugs like split fires, E3s, etc. And use other "normal" plugs at your own risk. I've been running Bosch platinums one heat range colder for 30K miles now with no issues. I may even go with regular copper plugs since I like to pull them and see what's going on inside the combustion chamber. There's no advantage to platinum and iridium other than long life.

I'm just weird in that I don't mind replacing the plugs and if you have something that's going wrong like a lean cylinder which in a fuel injected feed back engine will make the rest go rich, it's good to see with your eyes what's going on. You can also see signs of detonation before it kills the engine. Same with oil burning. I think reading the plugs is pretty much lost these days.
Old 10-19-2009 | 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's very safe advice. But you could modify it to say never use gimmick plugs like split fires, E3s, etc. And use other "normal" plugs at your own risk. I've been running Bosch platinums one heat range colder for 30K miles now with no issues. I may even go with regular copper plugs since I like to pull them and see what's going on inside the combustion chamber. There's no advantage to platinum and iridium other than long life.

I'm just weird in that I don't mind replacing the plugs and if you have something that's going wrong like a lean cylinder which in a fuel injected feed back engine will make the rest go rich, it's good to see with your eyes what's going on. You can also see signs of detonation before it kills the engine. Same with oil burning. I think reading the plugs is pretty much lost these days.
After wrenching for years I finally listened to the advice that was given to me as a child. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

The mfg paired our plugs with our engine for a reason. Sure you may be able to use other plugs but why??? Unless you are forcing air in and running richer there is absolutely no reason why you should be running anything other than OEM. Period.
Old 10-19-2009 | 12:17 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Originally Posted by I hate cars

I was showing my 15 y/o son how read a plug and clean it just yesterday... most things are "lost arts" in the age of cpu air/fuel management...
Old 10-19-2009 | 05:17 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
I was showing my 15 y/o son how read a plug and clean it just yesterday... most things are "lost arts" in the age of cpu air/fuel management...
Why don't you show us?