Need help ASAP in the middle of replacing my motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:48 PM
08 TYPE-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help ASAP in the middle of replacing my motor mounts

I just bought the xlr8 motor mounts to replace oem i already took out the front and passenger side mounts already but i cant re-align the motor back to re bolt the xlr8 mounts i tried having someone else yank the engine but seems impossible and my engine is support by a 2x4 block on a jack. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
04-TL/MDX/77-CELICA GT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just finished up my side and front today. (I am leaving the rear for next weekend.) I did one at a time (common practice) and by myself. I did the side first. Both the front and side were broken.

I found the side mount very difficult to line up where the mount meets the engine. I jacked the engine beneath the oil pan without luck. As a shot in the dark - I ended up removing the shield that covers the underside of the transmission/engine connection and moved the jack to the underside of the trans bell housing. That got the holes slightly closer and pulling on the opposite side of the intake got it 1-2mm closer. I ended up taking the risky path of sticking a 6" extension from a 1/4" ratchet into the hole to pry the engine over, while I was pulling the engine with the other arm. I was careful to stick it as far into the hole as possible so as not to mess up any upper (starter) threads. I did this and it barely gave me enough room to get the bolt (with stack of washers) in the other hole. I fully tightened that bolt, removed the 6" extension and then was able to install the second bolt.

The front was not too difficult to install. It was a little complicated to get the old one out! I did leave the radiator fan in...

Stick with it - the benefits are worth it! I had horrible shudder in the front wheels b/w 45-70 under acceleration. That is complete gone! Also, no more clunk under throttle lift-off or heavy application. Torque steer is reduced some. In terms of the cons. There is a slight bit of vibration at idle upon start-up. It is actually better than with the broken mounts. It reduces after the engine warms up. I drove it for about 7 miles and will post on a mount thread more thoughts....

Best Wishes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM
LowNslowTL

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
mounts are a bitch, i did my side mount myself, i refused to do the other
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced

were those mounts a direct fit or did you have to use washers and things like that? thinking of getting some xlr8 but dont want to have to do a "half ass" job...does all your old hardware work as direct fit or do u get new hardware with the new mounts,or did you have to use unorthidoxed methods to make it work?...seems to me that if a quality part is truly quality,you wouldnt have to use unorthidoxed methods to "make it work",dont mean to sound like im picky but,i just want to know that after the install its all done "right"...any oppinion is greatly valued....not worried about vibrations
Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM
08 TYPE-S

I recommended changing the passenger side first and you will need a lot of washer i used 16 washer for the side and go to a hardware store to get shorter bolt other than that everything else will fit just right and dont forget to plug your vac line for your mounts.

I only changed the front and passenger mounts with the 75A mounts. My impression on them the first 100 miles chair and steering wheel a mild vibration when idling or at a stop light after 300 miles I barely notice the vibration now it just takes a while for the mounts to fit in overall improve greatly in throttle response, no wheel hop from start, better shifting and cornering a lot smoother. I would only recommend 75A if you only want to change your mounts only once these will never break but risk a little vibration or just go with 62A or OEM mounts.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
I was at the mechanic over the weekend to fix the front and side engine mount. I went to advance auto part to get the mounts but end up returning them because was told the oem parts were made of better quality and last much longer.

My mechanic replaced the side first where he just took the old one out and put in the new one. Will take like 5-10 mins and very easy to do. The front is little tricky because he has to jack the car up off the ground and its better to take the radiator and fan out, it gave you more room and the front mout was connected to a
Wire so you need to unplug it before taking it out.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced

getting my xlr8 mounts today...then will havem in tommorrow...dont know what size bolt to get for the side mount and or how thick of washers to use? anyone any ideas or pics to share?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM
08 TYPE-S

getting my xlr8 mounts today...then will havem in tommorrow...dont know what size bolt to get for the side mount and or how thick of washers to use? anyone any ideas or pics to share?
For the bolt go to ace hardware store and bring the oem bolt and ask them for a similar bolt just shorter one i got a measurement by mounting the side xlr8 mount and place the oem bolt next to it to get an estimate work fine for me and for the washers i used 3/8.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced

what year is your tl...mines a 2000 i think what worked for u might not work for me,,,,mounts came iin but am missing a bracket for some reason
Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 AM
08 TYPE-S

hmm not familiar with 2000's my 2008 TL-S cant help you there sorry. call xlr8 and verify with them and they can also assist you with the installment.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by nismopowerdqg
mounts are a bitch, i did my side mount myself, i refused to do the other
noob. side mount takes me 15 min, its super easy.