Need Help with 06 TL Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help with 06 TL Electrical Issue

I am having some issues with my 06 TL. I woke up this morning and drove from my girlfriends to my place and went inside to get ready for work. The car started and drove fine. When I came out about 30 minutes later to go to work, the car seemed as if the battery had died.

The symptoms are: no radio, no headlights, no keyless remotes and power locks, dash lights are dim, and no click when you turn the key. I grabed my volt meter and checked the battery. Resting voltage is 12.6, which should be plenty to operate all previously mentioned functions. I checked for voltage at the starter, again 12.6. I checked volatage on the fuses under the hood, all 12.6, except headlights.

I then checked the voltage on the fuses in the interior driver kickpanel. They were either reading 0 or around 6 volts. I checked all fuses to determine if they were bad and all ckecked out ok. I cleaned and tightened the batery terminals and ground cables.

I am at a loss for what could be causing this issue. The car was recently in a fender bender and was repaired by a local shop. The car has been starting normally for over 2 months though, so I dont know if that is an issue.

I also was having problems with an isimple ipod interface previously, so disconected it to check for any improvement, with no results.

I am not a mechanic, but do know a little bit about working on cars. Any help that could be provided would be awesome. This is my DD and I need to get her back up and running.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Good job at checking everything out. Have you check your hands free link module? The HFL has been linked to drainage issues.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:49 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
Good job at checking everything out. Have you check your hands free link module? The HFL has been linked to drainage issues.
I haven't checked the HFL, but would that cause a drainage condition that would drain over time, or would that cause an immediate drop in power to all accessories when the battery is showing full charge.

If it could be the issue, what should I do to check it?
Old 05-23-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
just because its at 12.6v doesnt mean its got enough power to crank the starter. It sounds like either a battery or alternator issue.
think about it this way. I can give you a couple AA batteries and you can wire them in series to show 12v...but is that going to start the car? Car batteries are rated in amps(such as cca) for a reason.

Couple months ago my oem battery went bad(keep in mind it was only a year old), I decided to test the voltage on it for fun. Guess what it read? 12.8v
I then took the battery to acura to test and they confirmed it was no good and gave me a new one.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:39 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
just because its at 12.6v doesnt mean its got enough power to crank the starter. It sounds like either a battery or alternator issue.
think about it this way. I can give you a couple AA batteries and you can wire them in series to show 12v...but is that going to start the car? Car batteries are rated in amps(such as cca) for a reason.

Couple months ago my oem battery went bad(keep in mind it was only a year old), I decided to test the voltage on it for fun. Guess what it read? 12.8v
I then took the battery to acura to test and they confirmed it was no good and gave me a new one.
The battery is less than two months old. I understand what you are saying and appreciate your input but I don't believe this is a battery issue. The radio won't even turn on. The voltage on everything in the fuse box under the hood is 12.6, except for the headlight fuses. They are at about 6.5 but the voltage is fluctuating .5 volts up and down while reading. The same condition exists in the fuse box on the kick panel for all accessories. They all should be reading the same but are not.

The only thing I can think is that a wire is grounding out, but I think it's weird that one wire could cause problems in that many circuits. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm glad to hear them.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Cruisin'

Have you tried jumping it? I would try that first
Old 05-23-2014, 06:09 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Pabhomie
Have you tried jumping it? I would try that first
Yes. I also took the battery out and put it in my truck. The truck started immediately.

Update on symptoms. When I pull the interior light fuse in the kick panel or the 40 amp backup acc under the hood, the door dinger will ding twice then stop. If you put it back in it dings twice again. I have disconnected the interior lights and tried starting without the interior fuse in with no luck. I am baffled as to what would cause this to happen.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:53 PM
5th Gear

I also just noticed that if the key is in the acc position and you hit the hazard button it blinks the left arrow on the dash really fast and makes the click noise really fast.