Need advice oil sludge/gunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013 | 12:07 AM
Instructor

Need advice oil sludge/gunk

hey all....well its not for the tl its for my other car the accord i have and its a 96....i thought might as well ask here considering how many ppl comment and give advice....well basically i got it like 130k miles 3months ago and drove it 6k miles already and the car drives good just have the valve cover gasket replaced at 133k....but there is alot of gunk or oil sludge near the accessory belt and by the motor on some of the hoses..alot of it.....can i use a degreaser to clean it and then power wash it?i can post pics if needed...thank you
Old 05-12-2013 | 04:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by simran4h
hey all.... there is alot of gunk or oil sludge near the accessory belt and by the motor on some of the hoses..alot of it.....can i use a degreaser to clean it and then power wash it? ...
Power wash under the hood of modern cars is dis-recommended, as that can force water into electrical connectors and other 'bad' places. Yes, modern connectors are supposed to be water tight, with silicone seals, but a high-power wash can force water into them anyway. The result can cost literally thousands if the wrong module is shorted - such as the ECM (engine control module). Actually the ECM is under the dash I think on the TL, but on my RDX is on the driver side fender under the hood. Anyway, you get the idea ...

I personally use Simple Green Automotive cleaner under my hoods, as it is the only one I have seen that specifically states it is OK to use on both aluminum and rubber. This is *not* the same as the household Simple Green.

If I am really careful, I will use GUNK foaming engine cleaner, but only on metal (non-aluminum) engine parts, painted firewall, and some plastics - but only when as dirty as you have described. Read the label for use.

But before beginning with GUNK, I will remove the accessory belt, and cover the alternator and most electrical plugs with either plastic bags or handi-wrap. When spraying water, I use the garden hose, on a slow to moderate flow, without a spray nozzle, to limit the pressure.

The cleaner does the cleaning - not the water. The water is just to rinse away the cleaner. Use gentle aggitation with a brush or even toothbrush for tight areas, with the cleaner, for cleaning. The water is not for cleaning.

Good luck, and not kidding, you can do serious permanent damage to electrical modules, components, and connectors without care.
The following users liked this post:
simran4h (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013 | 08:23 AM
Instructor

Oh ok ill be getting tht simple green and gunk and making sure to cover everything then with the garden hose thanks