Nav and door sensor issues with '07 TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:52 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav and door sensor issues with '07 TL-S

Hello all,
New member here and after lurking for awhile decided to join and get some input. Had my '07 TL-S for a little more than a year and it's been great. Only issue I've had before is a pretty severe rattle in the back speakers which was replaced under warranty. It just figures that as my bumper to bumper warranty expires I start to have a little more complicated issues. So wondering if I could get some input and or advise.

Issue 1. I will be driving and either hit a small bump or make a turn and the doom lights come on and the car makes a "ding" noise as if there was a door open. Only on occasion will there be a door open message on the display cluster. Also, the car locks itself which seems bizarre because the car's in motion. After reading this section of the forum I'm thinking it may be a door lock/sensor actuator? Not sure if thats correct.

Issue 2. Every time I try to get to the main menu of the navigation screen I get this message. Now I'm not sure if I need to fiddle with the DVD drive in the truck (take the disc out and put it back in) or I just need to get the updated disk. I don't think anything is wrong with the nav system itself considering the rear view camera works just fine.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
as far as your first issue it sounds like your door strikers need to be adjusted. You can verify this by sitting in you car while its on and push against your door and see if you get that message of door open. You pop the plastic cover off and losen the screws a little and make sure they are all the way adjusted inward toward the inside of the vehicle. You didn't say which door it was...start with the door that is affecting the vehicle. The door locks locking while the cars is in motion....say one to two minutes after you get going...this should be a setting in the dash. I like it when it locks in D and unlocks in P.
Your last issue/message/pic I can't help with because at work, pix are blocked on this computer. Hope this is useful for ya! let me know how it works out
The following users liked this post:
timboogeyman (08-19-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Issue 2: If you look in the 3G garage and go to the TSBs you will find one for this read disc error. Check your disk. If you have gouges that go around the entire disk then your DVD drive is bad and will need repaired/replaced. I just had my drive and nav disc replaced last Saturday for this same read disc error.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by invalidalias
as far as your first issue it sounds like your door strikers need to be adjusted. You can verify this by sitting in you car while its on and push against your door and see if you get that message of door open. You pop the plastic cover off and losen the screws a little and make sure they are all the way adjusted inward toward the inside of the vehicle. You didn't say which door it was...start with the door that is affecting the vehicle. The door locks locking while the cars is in motion....say one to two minutes after you get going...this should be a setting in the dash. I like it when it locks in D and unlocks in P.
Your last issue/message/pic I can't help with because at work, pix are blocked on this computer. Hope this is useful for ya! let me know how it works out
Boom! Just loosened it and re-tightened it (diagnosed it as front drivers side door), sat in the car with it on and pressed against the door and nothing. Took it for a spin around the block including shitty city streets and nothing. So far so good. Thank you so much for the tip!
And sorry to anyone who this was a repost for. I looked a little harded and found this post a couple months back.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/door-light-comes-while-driving-797540/

Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
Issue 2: If you look in the 3G garage and go to the TSBs you will find one for this read disc error. Check your disk. If you have gouges that go around the entire disk then your DVD drive is bad and will need repaired/replaced. I just had my drive and nav disc replaced last Saturday for this same read disc error.
Took the disc out and there werent any "gouges"per say (no chunks or clips on the disc) but there were small rings around the edge of the disc (not sure if thats similar to what you saw) but I just cleaned the disc off with a lens cloth and popped it back in, got to the main menu and ran an address...no issues. But maybe this could be the start of the drive going back. Was yours under warranty? How much does the dealer usually charge if you don't mind my asking?

Thank you both! Seem to have been quick fixes! Glad I didn't call the dealer.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
ahh the typical dvd drive failure message. i went through the same thing before. send your dvd unit back to alpine for a $158 repair for the dvd mechanism. this happens to a lot of honda/acura dvd drives btw, yours is no exception.
2012 abalone ave unit D
torrance, ca 90501
Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
ahh the typical dvd drive failure message. i went through the same thing before. send your dvd unit back to alpine for a $158 repair for the dvd mechanism. this happens to a lot of honda/acura dvd drives btw, yours is no exception.
2012 abalone ave unit D
torrance, ca 90501
did you need to replace your disc as well? I have rings around my disc so is it junk?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 PM
KBPftmfw

Originally Posted by timboogeyman
Took the disc out and there werent any "gouges"per say (no chunks or clips on the disc) but there were small rings around the edge of the disc (not sure if thats similar to what you saw) but I just cleaned the disc off with a lens cloth and popped it back in, got to the main menu and ran an address...no issues. But maybe this could be the start of the drive going back. Was yours under warranty? How much does the dealer usually charge if you don't mind my asking?

Thank you both! Seem to have been quick fixes! Glad I didn't call the dealer.
They may not be gouges at first but as the drive continues to get worse, so will the scratches. You are describing the symptoms of a failing drive exactly as the Acura TSB does. Luckily, mine was under warranty as I am still within my 12/12,000 due to being CPO. Paperboy indicated the cost if you DIY and send the driveto Alpine. I have to imagine if you let the dealer fix it out of warranty you are probably looking at a bill in excess of $1k.

My advice: if you are under warranty print out the TSB and schedule an appointment to take it in to your dealer. All they need to do is eject the disc, look for circular scratches and you will then be diagnosed as a faulty nav drive.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM
KBPftmfw

Originally Posted by Ruby
did you need to replace your disc as well? I have rings around my disc so is it junk?
If you are under warranty, the disc is automatically replaced by the dealer. You will not get the most current version, but, they do upgrade you based on year of car and nav drive version. There is a TSB in the 3G garage that covers the disc read error inside and out.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
2012 abalone ave unit D
torrance, ca 90501
Is there a process for this? Just send the unit in a box with a note saying faulty DVD drive and a return address? Just a check and they'll send back a new one? Sounds like a fantastic deal. I'll get on this before it gets any worse.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:46 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby
the dvd drive is bad. replace that