Mysterious "clunking" noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mysterious "clunking" noise

For the last week or so, I started hearing a "clunk" or "clunk, clunk" noise coming from the left side of the trunk or the rear driver side wheel well area. This noise happens mostly when there's a bump or the suspension is being compressed, though not 100% of the time. Sometimes it seems to clunk even without me noticing or hitting a bump. It is loud and obvious and out of place enough that my passengers have commented on the unusual noise...

About 3 months ago, I replaced all the wheel studs in my car and now have new wheels on them, so I thought I might have not tightened something around the wheel area (yeah, scary thought.) So I pulled off the rear driver side wheel and inspected. Nothing seems out of place or loose, except a clasp on the wheel well lining was loose. I checked the passenger side wheel well lining and the corresponding location has a screw that keeps the lining in place. However, on this side it was just a press-in. Since my car had some body work done on the driver rear quarter-panel, I figured it was the paint shop that got lazy and didn't put the screw back on. Nevertheless, I pressed the clasp back on, but still the clunking continues!

I went into the trunk and pulled the lining back to expose the metal and couldn't find anything loose or obviously out of place.

Has anyone experienced this issue? The clunking noise seems to be getting worse (occurring more often) but it could just be me being annoyed with the sound.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like your rear strut could be out causing the spring to over compress. I had the same clunk until I changed out my oem struts to aftermarket koni yellows but then again the clunking came awhile after (took some time for rear dampers/struts to lose their valving) I took out the oem springs and installed lowering springs.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:32 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a loose strut...I believe the was a TSB for this. Check the two nuts at the top of the strut tower behind the rear seat. Also, look for the related TSB in the Garage, it might give you more info.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by ITL
sounds like a loose strut...I believe the was a TSB for this. Check the two nuts at the top of the strut tower behind the rear seat. Also, look for the related TSB in the Garage, it might give you more info.
This makes even more sense. Probably why the clunk went away cause I torqued down the struts myself!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the comments...the car sits level when in the garage so I doubt it is the strut having gone bad. And I doubt that it is over travelling since the clunking happens even at low speeds, ie. backing out of the driveway onto the street. I've have since pulled the wheel off again and torqued down all the bolts in the area, still the clunking continues. I'll check into the TSB for it, thanks!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:48 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

I'm not suggesting a bad strut, just that the nuts at the top of the strut tower (INSIDE the car) could be loose.

(TIP: You have to stick a ratchet through the flap in the seats under the headrest to get to the two bolts. Seems difficult to get to, but it's not bad at all.)
Old 12-22-2005, 01:40 PM
10th Gear

I hear lots of clunking in my TL and I have made no modifications. Sounds like something is engaging, like a clutch. The sounds worries me too.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:35 PM
9th Gear

i have the same clunking sound. where can we check for tsb's?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by ITL
I'm not suggesting a bad strut, just that the nuts at the top of the strut tower (INSIDE the car) could be loose.

(TIP: You have to stick a ratchet through the flap in the seats under the headrest to get to the two bolts. Seems difficult to get to, but it's not bad at all.)
Yeah, Like ITL stated (or at least I think he's stating) there's a few bolts holding down the rear-backseat cushion to the frame. You'll need to take at minimum, the rear seat out to get to the nuts that help mount the struts to the body. If you have the right tools, you can get to them without having to remove the rear deck. Otherwise, you'll need to remove the rear deck as well as the back seat.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:28 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

oh, no way...you dont have to remove the seat or the deck...slide your ratchet in behind the headrest as I stated above. I pushed the gap open with two fingers and can see the bolts with a flashlight.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Racer

I also have that clunk noise coming from rear tires going over bumps.

I had my rear strut replaced by the dealer but it's still there. While they were working on the car, they gave me NEW 06 TL that just got off the truck as loaner.

That car also had that clunk noise. =(
Old 01-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Advanced

Yeah the clunking noise still continues...my passengers have all commented on the noise as I was driving them around in my car over the holidays...I haven't had time to check further into the source of the noise as you guys suggested some plausible causes...my girlfriend rolls her eyes as the noise continues, like, "take care of it already". As this week starts, I'm hoping for some block of time to dedicate to silencing this noise. Thanks all for all your comments and I'll keep you up to date as I resolve to take care of this issue.

Happy new year everyone!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Where is everyone's clunking noise coming from (left or right rear)? Mine only comes from the passanger's side rear.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Advanced

Mine comes from the driver side rear only.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Racer

it's the struts in the rear. no service bulletins ever came out. I had this problem last year while working on an 05' TL.

I must have spent DAYS trying to figure out where this noise was coming from. It was such a headache and by the way my time for the week sucked because i spent so much time on this car. Thats why i remember it so well..

I had the whole rear of the car ripped apart, everything was down to the bare metal. Noise was still there, but i never condemned the struts because the car had 109 miles on it! I was thinking more towards the bushings in the rear. It actually made a bushing squeak and a clunk sometimes. I pulled out the ChassisEar tool and hooked it up the all of the rear arms fairly close to the bushings... Couldnt hear ANYTHING in the car..

Low and behold, i said, you know what screw it, at this time i had at least a day's FULL of time into this car.. i removed all of the arms in the rear, lubed all of the bushings..

Noise was still there..at this point im so frustrated, i ordered 2 rear struts for the car because im so utterly sick of this car i just wanted to drive it off of a cliff.

and bam, installed the struts..test drove the car with everything in the rear out of it.. NOISE WAS GONE.. You really wouldnt believe how HAPPY i was to get this car out of my life.. I drove it home 2 nights in a row to confirm the noise was gone...and yeah it was completely gone..

I've also had 3 or 4 other TL's come in with the same problem, same noise..knew exactly where to look and problems all fixed.. That particular customer came in for the problem at 109 miles...the car left with 158 miles..LOL! That's how much road time i had in that car!

I notified Acura tech line about the problem and the fix..i thought for sure after the struts being on back order, alot of other techs had the same problem.

Im very suprised there is no bulletin on it.
But im almost positive thats your problem.

good luck!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Dr. Feelgood

I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing any a-spec suspension owners complaining about this problem. The regular suspension must be cheap,if this is the case, because I've already had that one replaced after hearing it sqeak!
Old 11-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ITL
oh, no way...you dont have to remove the seat or the deck...slide your ratchet in behind the headrest as I stated above. I pushed the gap open with two fingers and can see the bolts with a flashlight.
Looks tough to do to me.... I can't see the bolts. Can you remove the rear seatback without removing the bottom seat? My car has also develolped the "clunking noise"
Old 11-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TL-Rocks!
. . . my girlfriend rolls her eyes as the noise continues, like, "take care of it already". As this week starts, I'm hoping for some block of time to dedicate to silencing this noise. Thanks all for all your comments and I'll keep you up to date as I resolve to take care of this issue.

Happy new year everyone!
Hope you resolve the issue with the car as well !
Old 11-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

i have the same problem. \
i'm not sure if it's the suspension
or rubbing/scraping
Old 11-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Instructor

I just recently started noticing a sound from the driver side rear of my TL-S that sounds like something in the suspension or rear deck is loose. I can only hear it when I go over bumpy roads or railroad tracks at a slow speed. In reference to this "Clunking" noise, can you hear the sound outside the car if your windows are rolled down and when does it happen (i.e. when driving slow or fast, does it happen all the time or sometimes going over rough or bumpy roads)? Any assistance would be greatly apprieciated as I am currently trying to figure out if I am having the same issue.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 PM
05 TL

I got a clunk when I replaced my RSB and shocks.... It may not apply to your problems but its an easier to get to than the top of the rear struts...

Thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...5&page=1&pp=25

My Post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=30

In summary tighten the bolts on the end of the sway bars..
Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Racer

I had the clunking noise after I replaced the stock rear stabilizer bar at my local garage. I took it to the dealer, they said the bar was loose and they tightened it....it worked....So far.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 07 TL-S
I just recently started noticing a sound from the driver side rear of my TL-S that sounds like something in the suspension or rear deck is loose. I can only hear it when I go over bumpy roads or railroad tracks at a slow speed. In reference to this "Clunking" noise, can you hear the sound outside the car if your windows are rolled down and when does it happen (i.e. when driving slow or fast, does it happen all the time or sometimes going over rough or bumpy roads)? Any assistance would be greatly apprieciated as I am currently trying to figure out if I am having the same issue.
I've had my 2007 TLS for 1 week and seem to have the same issue. I only notice it on certain roads that have little bumps and humps. I am not driving agressively at all.

Have you found out what the problem is?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MD_2007_TLS
I've had my 2007 TLS for 1 week and seem to have the same issue. I only notice it on certain roads that have little bumps and humps. I am not driving agressively at all.

Have you found out what the problem is?

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I took it to the dealer last week and they spent 4-5 hours on it. They removed just about everything from the rears seat to everything else in the trunk, none of the techs, service manager, or service director could figure out where the little chattering sound i was hearing was coming from, we all finally decided to take 4 other brand new TL-S's off the lot and drive them around...and guess what...they all did the same thing.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 07 TL-S
Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I took it to the dealer last week and they spent 4-5 hours on it. They removed just about everything from the rears seat to everything else in the trunk, none of the techs, service manager, or service director could figure out where the little chattering sound i was hearing was coming from, we all finally decided to take 4 other brand new TL-S's off the lot and drive them around...and guess what...they all did the same thing.
Thanks for the update. Not good news, but at least it's not unique to your car.