Is my power steering done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my power steering done?

So every morning when It was cold out my car was making some really horrid noises (proly 45degree's and below). So finnaly got a chance to take it up to my friend to look at and he said that It was the power steering pump making the noise (it would make a different pitch when you turn the wheels)... the fluid levels were fine.
So he called up the dealer to get a price, $ 360 for the pump alone, and the dealer mentioned that there is a known problem with the orignal pumps... the worst part is I'm at 55k mi and so the warrenty just expired.
This seems pretty shitty that the parts on my car would be failing while the car is so new, I bought an expensive (what i thought was very reliable) car bacause I didnt want to have to fix shit every other month. So would you replace it now, wait till it goes bad, is there any sort of recal or chance the dealer will fix it like a recal? Or does anyone know of a fix maybe? This shit has really pissed me off and I am about to return my loyalty to Toyota/Lexus.

It did look like there were air bubbles in the top of the resivor if that makes any difference
Old 11-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Instructor

I did just check on OEM Acura Parts.com and it was only 260, but I really wont be happy if I have to spend anything on this.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Nova_GTS
I did just check on OEM Acura Parts.com and it was only 260, but I really wont be happy if I have to spend anything on this.
I'm hoping it doesn't cost anything. I just started having that problem and finally came to the conclusion it is my power steering making that horrible noise when the car is cold.

Thanks for you post it quickly confirmed my suspicion. I can not believe there has not been a recall or something. I never anticipated having to spend money for something like this so soon when both of my past Honda's were extremely reliable.

Thanks for you post,
RobNCLT
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Old 11-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
So every morning when It was cold out my car was making some really horrid noises (proly 45degree's and below). So finnaly got a chance to take it up to my friend to look at and he said that It was the power steering pump making the noise (it would make a different pitch when you turn the wheels)... the fluid levels were fine.
So he called up the dealer to get a price, $ 360 for the pump alone, and the dealer mentioned that there is a known problem with the orignal pumps... the worst part is I'm at 55k mi and so the warrenty just expired.
This seems pretty shitty that the parts on my car would be failing while the car is so new, I bought an expensive (what i thought was very reliable) car bacause I didnt want to have to fix shit every other month. So would you replace it now, wait till it goes bad, is there any sort of recal or chance the dealer will fix it like a recal? Or does anyone know of a fix maybe? This shit has really pissed me off and I am about to return my loyalty to Toyota/Lexus.

It did look like there were air bubbles in the top of the resivor if that makes any difference
You don't say what year your car is (is your warranty expiration time, or mileage, or both?), but if you're sure it's the power steering pump, and get no satisfaction from the dealer, you could try and contact Acura customer service directly. Being that close to the warranty expiration, you may find they'll cover it under goodwill. I have the extended warranty on my 05 (6 yr./100K mile), not on the 07 though. But even with that, I feel that a good relationship with your dealer is important (that means spend some money). I have my dealer do all the regularly scheduled maintenance on both of out TSX's even though I'm capable of doing most of it myself. It costs me more up front, but I'm confident that if I encountered a situation that may be in a grey area (maybe like this one), I'd get the benefit of the doubt (and have more than once).
Old 11-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea man I had my rack changed 3 times its on its 4th now. sucks ass. make sure when they change it they do the hoses too. i dont think the hoses are covered if ur doing warranty work but def. buy them dont even think twice. the probs with these shit box racks is the hose its either the go or the return. i found this out too late i had the rack changed 2 months ago and its leaking i cant figure out why and next thing u knwo i go to change my oil the other day i find hoses n the rack leaking. I called up MR service manager and snapped but its not his fault its hondas. so i called up honda n left a nasty message all the parts are already at acura waiting to be swapped its goin in tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Instructor

its a 2004 with 4 yr 50k standard warranty I believe, I bought it used, and I only take it to the dealer to do warrenty work.. oil changes i do myself... + i have a friend who is a mechanic so he can do more extensive work required... if there is not a good chance the dealer is goin to fix it I will just do it myself...

Based on what Tripn said, I dont guess the replacement will be any better so I can assume it will be going out in another 50k?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:04 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
yea man I had my rack changed 3 times its on its 4th now. sucks ass. make sure when they change it they do the hoses too. i dont think the hoses are covered if ur doing warranty work but def. buy them dont even think twice. the probs with these shit box racks is the hose its either the go or the return. i found this out too late i had the rack changed 2 months ago and its leaking i cant figure out why and next thing u knwo i go to change my oil the other day i find hoses n the rack leaking. I called up MR service manager and snapped but its not his fault its hondas. so i called up honda n left a nasty message all the parts are already at acura waiting to be swapped its goin in tomorrow.
4 racks replaced...

Clearly your dealer is not solving the problem.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This shit is funny I'm having the same problem with my car when i first start it in the morning it makes a horrible whining noise check the power steering fluid and it also has bubbles in the resevoir oh and my warranty just expired also my car is an 04 with 55k.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:09 PM
5th Gear

Man, I think we are seeing a trend here! I am having the same problem, I had my mechanic replace the rack and hoses for frigging $800! Now, I am still having the same problem a week later? The horrid sound is even worse now that it is getting colder, although it subsides after it warms up. He did not replace the pump itself, said that was not the problem. It goes back in tomorrow morning for follow-up to fix the problem, I NEED MY CAR! If I am going to continue to have this problem, I hope Honda has a recall fix, otherwise it will be goodbye TL. Love the car, but being in sales, I drive a lot of miles and need reliability. I hate to say it, but the 2008 Accord is a nice ride. I might be there soon.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
4 racks replaced...

Clearly your dealer is not solving the problem.
Don't disagree, but isn't this a separate issue? It seems the faulty steering racks and the noisy power steering pumps are different problems.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:22 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Yep...
FWIW, the 3rd Gen Honda Odyssey 05-07 had major issues with faulty PS pumps. The description is similar too, mad crazy pump noise during cold starts in the winter.

The Odyssey shares the same engine as the TL, so odds are the pumps are related...

There's a TSB for the Odyssey... Might help your fight with the dealer.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Don't want to threadjack, but there are already 2 PS related threads up top. My car is jerky whil turning at higher speeds, such as highway on ramps. It seems like very little input of the wheel gives you way more turning than expect plus its jerky and not real precise. Is this normal in these cars or do I have something to bring up with the dealer. It's almost not safe since it reacts wierd over bumps and gets darty. Maybe that's a better word for it, it gets darty while in a higher speed, steady radius turn, ie, on ramp. Thanks for any help. Car is going to dealer in a couple weeks for 2 other issues, maybe I can add this to the list.
Eric
Old 11-25-2007, 08:23 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
Don't disagree, but isn't this a separate issue? It seems the faulty steering racks and the noisy power steering pumps are different problems.
Many times if the pump shells out it will take the rack with it... Thats why you either need the hoses flushed well or replaced with the rack and pump. If any of the metal particles from the pump or rack are introduced to either new components, shortly, you end up with the same issue...

As Kennedy eluded to - dealership tech ignorance doesn't do you any favors.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Instructor

I may be posting in the forsale forum pretty damn soon!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:52 AM
9th Gear

Sorry to hear you paid so much for nothing!

Originally Posted by ampeg11
Man, I think we are seeing a trend here! I am having the same problem, I had my mechanic replace the rack and hoses for frigging $800! Now, I am still having the same problem a week later? The horrid sound is even worse now that it is getting colder, although it subsides after it warms up. He did not replace the pump itself, said that was not the problem. It goes back in tomorrow morning for follow-up to fix the problem, I NEED MY CAR! If I am going to continue to have this problem, I hope Honda has a recall fix, otherwise it will be goodbye TL. Love the car, but being in sales, I drive a lot of miles and need reliability. I hate to say it, but the 2008 Accord is a nice ride. I might be there soon.

When I take mine to the shop I am simply going to request they change the power steering pump and I want to write to someone about this problem and have them read the notes on this site. I have noticed the 2008 Accord is almost a replica of the TL and had thoughts of going back to the Accord EX. I simply do not want to start payments again when I'm close to paying for the TL and being free of payments. But if this continues I'm going to give serious thought to doing something with it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it is out of warranty and it needs to be replaced that is really too bad. But the original poster said he thought he has bought a reliable car. The car is the best priced in the class and as such is probably not made as well as some. Sure it looks good and all but it suffers from many parts not being as reliable or having a service life of 100K or more. Anyone who has own a TL or several over the years knows this.

The model has had it share of nagging issues. Some major and some minor. That and a lot of people drive the car to the edge I know I did. I also know the issues the model had and whether or not I was willing to deal with them for the benefits that I received.

Forget about brand loyalty and keep in mind the accord has many ogf the same parts.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Safety Car

dealer is great but F**K up in one spot its ok though shit happens plus the dealer who does the work really takes care of whats wrong with the car so i cant really complain plus i never really said to change the hoses because ill tell them everything to change because me and the tech sit n actually drive the car for an hour so he understands whats wrong with it. Im not stressed about it...plus this is my 3rd acura and not my first power steering prob.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:26 AM
2nd Gear

I found this thread out of frustration......my 04 started doing the exact same thing last winter (just out of warranty)! It stopped over the summer....and then this fall when it returned, my Mech tried replacing the suction hose on the pwr steering pump to see if that would solve the problem....it didn't. So if Acura is not going to step up on this....what is the best fix for this....everything....pump, hoses & rack?? Or just live with the noise until it dies???
Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

C4 and a 12 volt
Old 11-26-2007, 12:32 PM
5th Gear

Power Steering Rack

Found out the new rack that was installed a week ago was cracked when they received, they just couldn't see it until now...apparently once it got hot, it cracked all the way through and began leaking again. The tech said they have now started to re-manufacture that part with a newer version, but I was unlucky to get one that had been broken during shipping. These things must be pretty darn fragile in the first place which is the problem. If I have this problem again, I am going to rattle the acura cages, and go back to the reliable Toyota. AAARRRGGGHHH!~ have to get a rental today.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Toyata's never break down either...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Undercover Slacker

My cousin complained about this very problem to me about 2 weeks ago. He also almost out of his warranty; ~45k miles. He took it to the dealer and they changed his power steering pump. I didn't know so many other TL owners are experiencing it too.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Undercover Slacker

Forgot to add, my cousin has a 2004 TL automatic.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=mickey3c]If it is out of warranty and it needs to be replaced that is really too bad. But the original poster said he thought he has bought a reliable car. The car is the best priced in the class and as such is probably not made as well as some. Sure it looks good and all but it suffers from many parts not being as reliable or having a service life of 100K or more. Anyone who has own a TL or several over the years knows this. QUOTE]
Where do you pull this information from so confidently?
Because I did hours of research (a lot of reading in consumer reports) before buying the car and the new gen TL was better than every car in its class execpt for toyota (Lexus) by almost every mark with the exception of body integerity.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Instructor

I've noticed the same problem with my 04 TL when I purchased it a few weeks ago. Luckily my car had 42k when purchased. I had to take my car to Acura three times before they actually fixed the problem. It was the power steering pump.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ordered Pump for 119.00

Advanced Auto Parts (advancedsutoparts.com) has our pump for 119.00 shipped.
Its actually 169.99 shipped with a $50.00 core exchange. Looks like a simple replacement (I have the service manual). Oh, and yes, my car is out of warranty, at 97,000 + miles.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:53 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
seems like it is a 2004 PROBLEM, I just experiencing this special noise ....its getting cold in Montreal, thats not helping

Thanks everybody!!!! This Forum wont stop 2 amaze me !!!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:33 PM
5th Gear

Mine have the same problem and it's an 04 5AT. Still under warranty so brought it to the dealer last week but they are on back order for the pump and they just received the order in today.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:31 PM
5th Gear

Does anyone know if there is a service bulletin addressing the pump and replacement. Or does any one have a link to a service manual if I want to try to replace it myself? My 04 TL just hit 55k. Figures, right? THANKS<
Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 PM
5th Gear

Well, these are separate issues, but the grinding sound comes from low or leaiking fluid, which would happen from either problem. I have no grinding noise since the fix, and they replaced all the hoses for free, which was a nice touch after all the time in the shop. I still say if I have anymore major fixes like this one, I will be trading, too much dirivng in sales to be spending so much on fixes like this. THanks for all the responses on this.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Instructor

Same problem in my 04 tl... and im outta warranty too. guess time to get dirty
Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Same problem with my 2004 TL. A month ago, they told me I needed a new PS pump. Last week, they said that Acura found the problem. It is a faulty o-ring in the PS pump which lets too much air in when it gets cold. They are to call me when they get the o-rings in. Apparently, the service manager had just briefed the techs on this last week. Acura was replacing a lot of PS pumps under warranty. Mine has been out of warranty for a while.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had this same problem now. 04 TL 6mt/navi, only 34k miles, still a few months left in the warranty. I have been driving it like this while waiting for the replacement PSU to come in.. hopefully that doesn't cause any damage?

As for your problem, I thought it might be worth linking to: http://hondaodometerclassaction.com/

The settlement class is supposed to recieve some extra warranty coverage due to faulty odometers reading too many miles.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have this same issue too, 04 TL w/ 70,400 miles. Just happened on Saturday when it was really cold here in So Cal but the r/c car noise went away after driving a few miles but left a burning smell around the P/S pump. I have the extended powertrain warrenty (100k miles) and that shit won't even cover it go figure.

Right now im just gonna drive it till something happens like my steering gets rough, then I'll order from advanced auto parts and get a mech or buddy to help me out. Is the parts oem AcuraVic???
Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Instructor

The Answer!!!

Originally Posted by uk04tl
Same problem with my 2004 TL. A month ago, they told me I needed a new PS pump. Last week, they said that Acura found the problem. It is a faulty o-ring in the PS pump which lets too much air in when it gets cold. They are to call me when they get the o-rings in. Apparently, the service manager had just briefed the techs on this last week. Acura was replacing a lot of PS pumps under warranty. Mine has been out of warranty for a while.
He was right on the money....
I took my car in yesterday, they told me they were going to charge me a diagnostic charge of $100. So I said what ever, let’s see where this goes.... And today I get the info.

As of Saturday (12/1/07) Acura has released a TSB for this problem that which I was experiencing. When the Vehicle is cold the gaskets let in to much air and causes a whining or grinding noise to come from the Power steering pump. The noise will be louder as you move the steering wheel from side to side, and go away as the car heats up and the gaskets expand to normal size. So as apposed to replacing the entire pump (upwards of $600 at the dealership) they now will just replace the gaskets.

They ended up not charging the diagnostic fee and instead charged one hour of labor, and a couple dollars for the gaskets and PS fluid. Total cost $108.xx!
A big improvement from the minimum of $200 I was looking to spend if I just did it myself.

I was the first car the dealership was doing, they had several people waiting on a power steering which was back ordered, but good news for them, they can save some money!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:23 AM
2005 ACURA TL

i have an 05 tl with navi. mines doing the same thing. hopefully acura takes care of it
Old 12-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Instructor

Ok, I got the recipt here so If you want the part #'s to do it your self...
(they are actually O-rings not gaskets, Techs told me wrong)
(1) 91370-SV4-000 O-ring (14.4x1.9) --- $ .89
(1) 91345-PAA-A01 O-rink (13.0x1.9) --- $1.21

You will also need some power steering fluid!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:38 AM
B A N N E D

i think someone mentioned a TSB released on this as of 12/0107? anyone got a copy or a link for us to see? thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Intermediate

Hi everybody,

I looked around for the TSB, but couldn't find one. I did find a post with a diagram about a similar problem with the RL - note the mention of whine:

http://aboutacura.blogspot.com/2007/...-rl-power.html

Shows one O-ring....

Thanks,

Herb

Quick Reply: Is my power steering done?