My new 06 TL has bad body fitment (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new 06 TL has bad body fitment (pics inside)

Ok, I just picked up my car after having the A-Spec body kit & suspension put on and noticed a disturbing fact. When I open the passenger door, it hits the new side skirts of the body kit. Now I first thought that the kit wasn't properly installed but then I began to notice a much larger gap on the passenger side versus the drivers' side door where it meets the fender. Now, my car has 493 miles on it and it hasn't been anywhere buy my garage or at the dealer. (had to go back like 3 diff times for paperwork/kit install/autobahnd) My question is... did I get a poorly assembled TL? I am going to the dealer Monday about the kit rubbing and just wanted to see what you guys think. It is hard to show you just how much gap is different from drivers to passenger sides but believe me, it is very noticeable. To put it in perspective, if I put my Acura key in the drivers side gap between the fender & door it would fit snug. If I put the key in the same spot on the passenger side, I could probably put the key + a popsicle stick (maybe 2!) Well here are some pics... (sorry about the quality)

Old 12-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Registered Offender

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think it looks that bad, But just to be safe I'd take a look at your bumper skin. Try and recall any marks or scratches you know were there. I work for Mercedes Benz and have seen the dealer buy a new bumper skin or fender when lot damage occurs. Most of the time the customer will never find out.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Can I look at my bumper skin w/o pulling the bumper? I just don't want to be pulling stuff of my brand new car even though it doesn't feel brand new anymore since I found this defect.

Side Note - Who would I mention this gap to when I bring it in Monday? Service or my Sales?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:12 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by hurricane350
Can I look at my bumper skin w/o pulling the bumper? I just don't want to be pulling stuff of my brand new car even though it doesn't feel brand new anymore since I found this defect.

Side Note - Who would I mention this gap to when I bring it in Monday? Service or my Sales?

service dept. park your TL next to another one on the lot and see how the panels match up.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Advanced

You do realize I'm talking about the gap between the door & fender. I am sure the installation of the A-spec kit has nothing to do with that area of the car, thats why I was leaning towards talking to Sales because I just picked up my car two weeks ago.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:06 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by hurricane350
You do realize I'm talking about the gap between the door & fender. I am sure the installation of the A-spec kit has nothing to do with that area of the car, thats why I was leaning towards talking to Sales because I just picked up my car two weeks ago.

so either the sales guy is going to call a service dept guy out there to look at the car or will tell you to go to the service dept. i guess it doesnt really matter who you talk to first because they are all in the same building.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Ok, thanks. Any idea on how something like this could happen? Bad assembly at the plant? Accident unloading the car from the truck?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Advanced

It's highly posible that it was patchy assembly because everyone comes off the line diffrent. Trust me my drain hloe on my driver's door has rust coming out of the drain hole every time it rains and I'v been back to the dealer 2 times. My suggestion is take it back as many times it is needed to get fixed if u can't live with it!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Well, I had my visit yesterday. They took care of the a-spec kit problem right away and it left a scratch that will take care of come spring. I then pointed out the fitment issue and the tech said "yeah, I can see it clearly". He then said he would talk to somebody about it. About a half an hour later, he said he talked to the head of the body shop and he said it was within "Acura Specs". At this time I just nodded and said "ok". They then brought my car and when they were about to give me my keys I said "I need to speak to whomever is in charge of setting up Acura body specs" Now this service person didn't know what I was talking about so I explained the situation and she told me to talk to the head of the service dept. I told him how I was unhappy about the fitment and he agreed to make an apt with the body shop to make me happy. So now my "brand new" TL will be going to the body shop to align the panels in the next couple weeks. I don't know how I feel about my new car going under the knife so early...
Old 12-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think, if people are going to be fussy about things like this, they need to check the car out before they accept it.
I dont think the gaps would bother me, but then I cant really see it from the pictures.
Both the wife and I checked our car out very carefully before we took delivery, inside and out, trunk, engine bay, rims, and we test drove it (partly because we wanted to enjoy it right away) to make sure it did not have any odd problems.

The panel alignment on our car seems very good, but I have seen complaints about the trunk not being right, different color paint on bumpers, and you always have the possability of a scratch or ding.
Better to make sure its right before you buy it rather than let them wrench on various parts, with the possability of loose parts, rattles, scratches, etc. after you buy it.

From reading stuff here, it would seem a lot of people buy cars at night, in the dark, in the rain, or in a hurry...
Checking out the new car before you sign is the peak pleasure of the buying ordeal, when YOU get to make THEM dance...

Once you drive off the lot, they are doing you a favor fixing anything...

Brett
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Advanced

No, I did not pick up my car at night and Yes, I looked over the car for dings and scratches. I just didn't look at how panels line up because I would think wouldn't be an issue on a brand new car. I mean if I were buying used, yes I would have looked at every body panel fitment, the underbody, door jambs, etc. But this is a brand new car! Come on man. And I don't think I'm being fussy when it is visible to the naked eye. My .02
Old 12-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Brett, u sound like u r a car dealer or somthing. It's not the dealer's fault that the car has some issues but it's the maufacture's fault and the dealer's obligation to fix it. Most of these problems are legitimate and thats why we have warrantys,for them to be able to sell and for us to be PROBLEM free of defects.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not now, nor have I ever been in the automotive line of work.

I do not ever want to go back to the dealers, so I check my cars out before driving off. I would think everyone would, just because its new does not mean anything to me, new means possable problems that have not been found yet, you think they drive the cars around on bumpy roads before they ship them?
I think not.

Of course the dealer should try to make you happy, but wrenching on a brand new cars body panels is not something I want some high school drop out doing to my car.
(Well, I suppose Acura has beter mechanics then VW)

I have not checked out the service departments yet, and hope I never do.
My dealer was remodeling the entire place (new giant building) when we bought the car.

Brett
Old 12-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Advanced

99% of problems come after the customer has driven it home. No matter how much u look over a brand new tl u r not going to find problems rite away. Even if we had our mechanics and body men to look at it, they wouldn't see it. How many people out there has looked at a brand new car on the lot with 50kms on it and turned it down because of a defect that they spotted and took a diffrent one? Moral of the story, It's just bad luck and u must deal with the problem and take the appropriate measures. I feel deeply for anyone with a new car problem. The last thing u need is an i told u so........ Thats adding insult to injury.