Moonroof Rattle?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Moonroof Rattle?!

Anyone every experience a Moonroof rattle? Seems if I apply pressure to the moonroof the rattle dissapears....I tried closing the headliner but that does not seem to help the problem. Suggestions?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I have the same. I've learned to live with it?

Or, just turn up the radio volume.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lucnex
Anyone every experience a Moonroof rattle? Seems if I apply pressure to the moonroof the rattle dissapears....I tried closing the headliner but that does not seem to help the problem. Suggestions?
I have had this rattle since day one of having my 08. It is either in the sunroof shade or the interior lining of the roof because whether the shade is open or close you hear the noise/rattle, but when you apply pressure to the shade when closed the rattle stops. I had to put in a small little furniture cushion in the passenger rear corner of the shade, when its closed to get rid of the rattle. If I want to open the shade or sunroof, I have to take the cushion out first before opening. I have had it in so long now, that its just second nature that I know to take it out before opening so it doesn't get jammed.

It took 2-3 trips to my Acura dealer. First time they pretended they didn't hear it. Second time they put felt or some sort of foam/sealant up in the shade/roof lining area and it didn't work. 3rd time they finally isolated that it was coming from where the shade and the interior lining of the roof meet but that they would have to rip the entire moonroof and half the roof apart to get to it and I was not prepared to do it. Sad to have to use furniture cushions on a expensive luxury car, like the TL, but it was a much cheaper/hassle free move then having Acura rip the roof apart and they probably would not solve the problem or even if they did, make a new problem by not putting it back together properly.

I'd suggest going to Home Depot or Lowes, and spend the 8-12 bucks on a small furniture cushion and put it up in there between the shade and interior roof lining so you can have piece of mind. I got one that matches pretty close to the taupe color so unless you stare at it, you don't notice it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thats just the nature of the 3G TL rattles!

There is a rattle in the moonroof itself, which is a much easier fix, but it sounds like your having what I had which is not the actually moonroof, but you could take it into your Acura dealer and at least let them hear it and isolate it for you if you want! I personally don't think it is worse the hassle or trouble.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
mine rattles when the roof is tilted open.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
I figured there was nothing as I could to fix it, but I thought I would ask just in case!

My moonroof only started to rattle recently...ever since I got two subs in my trunk it started to rattle, I guess i shook something loose.

Not worth brining it to the Acura dealer, I am not giving them 90 dollars to tell me where the noise is....last time I told them where the problem was (my ignition rattles in my steering column) and they still refused to fix it, since the airbag was there....what a load of poop!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:01 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
my moonroof rattle fix was to apply some white lithium grease (that you can buy at any car parts store) to the track where the shade slides back and forth. Put the grease on knife/screwdriver and apply it to the bottom part of the track from front to back. Open and close moonroof shade with your hand several times to spread the grease out. No more rattles for me
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Addicted to boobs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 08...Mine started doing the roof rattle about a week ago. Seems like its between the headliner and the roof in the front portion. Pain in the ass to find the culprit.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

My 07 rattles like crazy from the headliner / moonroof area. It drives me crazy. I suspect the four plastic clips the headliner snaps into, just in front of the sunroof opening. The clips appear loose, brittle, and subject to rattle against the metal groove they slide in. My current plan is to put some Dynamat or adhesive felt into the area. But I'm open to other suggestions.

Also, check the upper console and around the mirrors. There are a few places where rattles can be induced by material transitions, wire connectors and loose fitting parts. A few small pieces of adhesive felt in these areas worked wonders.

Last edited by blueridger; 09-13-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Mine rattles too. So did the moonroof in my old Accord. So does the moonroof in my 08 MDX.

Anyway, there is a TSB about putting some felt up there. I just happened to look it up just yesterday and was considering trying this:
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B04-034.PDF
Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Get some Shin-Etsu and lube the rubber before troubleshooting further. Read more here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/why-shin-etsu-shiznit-745587/
Shin-Etsu is good on ALL of the rubber seals in the car and go a long way to quiet the rubber "chatter" when trying to isolate rattles. Give it a shot!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 PM
6th Gear

my sunroof visor cracked and flew off at 145mph, the rattles and wind noice went away
Old 09-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Pro

My '07 rattled like crazy from up there. Pull down the sunroof edge of the headliner closest to the rear and stick some two-sided tape in the gap. That rattle drove me nuts for 3 months until I chased it down.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 AM
10th Gear

I had a rattle where the "glass" met the actuall roof (the rubber frame seal against the metal of the roof. I took it this week to the dealer and didn't give it much hope on getting it fixed. But they fixed my rattle (07) - they applied what they called Honda Sunroof tape all around the edge of the metal - it feels like wax paper almost.

Something to try if you think it's the edge of the glass portion rubbing against the roof metal. I have one more noise beside the front speaker (going to replace anyhow). The last noise i have is the front driver's door glass is making noise i think where it meets the rubber seal about center on the top. I'll search to see if i can get it fixed or apply some silicone lubricant.

DF