Manual 3rd gear acting strange. What's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
thanks

Thanks. Does it show a price for the gearset? I figured that if the transmission is gonna be opened up, might as well replace all of them if I'm paying for the job myself.

Originally Posted by cbptls
Invoice shows only 2 parts being used for the work. They are as follows:

QTY Part Number Description
1 23444-RDE-315 Gear Set
3 08798-9031A Fluid, MT
Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Pro

I called Acura Client Services today

I called Acura Client Services today and was told that they couldn't help me. They said that I didn't have a long enough service history. Since I've only had the car for 2 or 3 months (and it's out of warranty), I understand why they would tell me that.

However, I firmly believe that the car had the issue from the start. Maybe the original owner just got used to it and lived with it. He did mention to me that he's had a problem with 3rd in the past.

All I can say is that if I sold someone a product that I knew was defective or had a design flaw, I wouldn't hesitate to help them out in a heartbeat.

The Acura Client Services rep told me that I was basically asking Acura to refurbish my car. I don't believe that I am asking for anything unreasonable. This is what happens when you deal with huge companies.

I've learned my lesson. I should have looked for an Acura forum before I bought the car (the original owner referred me to Acurazine). That way I could have asked for things to look out for. But even then, the 3rd gear issue might not have reared its head during the test drive. I could just buy cars with warranties, but then the money I saved buying from a private party is more than enough to cover this TSB. Oh well. I guess the key is not to get too roughed up by things like this. There are far more important things in life to worry about.

Ok, off to figure out how to get the GM stuff in.

Last edited by robocam; 08-13-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noob questions, sorry guys. what does TSB mean?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by vonkristian
noob questions, sorry guys. what does TSB mean?
Technical Service Bulletin.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the TL im purchasing has had the 3rd gear replaced under warranty. the car is now out of warranty but the repairs are still covered for 12 months/12,000 miles. do i need to look into the GM syncro mesh fluid to prevent this from happening again? or am i good now?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Project X
the TL im purchasing has had the 3rd gear replaced under warranty. the car is now out of warranty but the repairs are still covered for 12 months/12,000 miles. do i need to look into the GM syncro mesh fluid to prevent this from happening again? or am i good now?
If everything seems to be operating normally, then you have several avenues available to you. You could go with the GMSFM product, Amsoil's tranny fluid, or Honda's newer mix. Personally, I would go with the GM or Amsoil fluid.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
If everything seems to be operating normally, then you have several avenues available to you. You could go with the GMSFM product, Amsoil's tranny fluid, or Honda's newer mix. Personally, I would go with the GM or Amsoil fluid.
i read that the GM fluid can cause the syncros to wear quicker - is that true? is that the same for the other fluids as well?

does anyone know if acura will still warranty the car if the tranny fluid has been swapped? lastly what would a fluid change like this cost?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1 just bought an 05 6spd with 69k. It had the 3rd gear issue was fixed by honda for free 2 weeks after purchase but some of the other gears seem notchy some times. It is like 25 degrees out though if that makes it worse.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Project X
i read that the GM fluid can cause the syncros to wear quicker - is that true? is that the same for the other fluids as well?

does anyone know if acura will still warranty the car if the tranny fluid has been swapped? lastly what would a fluid change like this cost?
I haven't heard this one. Do you have a link to this to share? From all the reports I've heard, people have had nothing but success with the GMSFM fluid. When I first joined this site (summer, 2004), there was a highly respected and regarded member with the handle of "Road Rage". He and another member used to have their oil and tranny fluid analyzed from time to time and would report their findings. They were a wealth of information and their writings can still be found in the Garage. The GMSFM fluid was one of the items they were high on using in both race and street applications.

My '04 has close to 73,000 miles on it and the synchronizers in its transmission are excellent with not a hint of undo wear of any sort. And while I have never experienced any of the problems that some of our members have reported with their manual transmissions, I did switch to the GM fluid around the 15,000 mile mark and have used it since. If you've read my postings about how to properly operate a manual transmission, you'll know that my technique is extremely friendly to all of my transmission and clutch components. Still, I have to believe that the GMSFM fluid does what everyone reports and is a fine product for our transmissions.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 01clsstock
1 just bought an 05 6spd with 69k. It had the 3rd gear issue was fixed by honda for free 2 weeks after purchase but some of the other gears seem notchy some times. It is like 25 degrees out though if that makes it worse.
Mine is never notchy or complaining in the very cold weather (under 20 degrees). Try doing a drain and fill with the GMSFM fluid (part #12377916) and see if this takes care of your concerns.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you should put the GM fluid in and stop worrying about it. If you want to fix these things, I think you have learned your lesson. Don't count on the dealer to back up their product. I use the GM stuff, it solved the issue.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sign me up for the gm secret tranny sauce

Sign me up for the GM magic fluid. After reading much about "the 3rd gear issue", I opted for trying the GM tranny fluid rather than have my tranny torn down by the dealership. I replaced it myself, it was a piece of cake, other than getting out those bloody pushpins in one piece. Almost immediately, the 3rd gear issue was gone. Now, it shifts without issue.

BTW, what do you guys do about those pushpins holding the splash pan up? break them out and replace them? Seems to be no easy way to get them out in one piece.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Advanced

We had the 3rd gear TSB done last June. Shifted fine for about 4 months, then noticed a bit of notchiness going into 1st gear once in a rare while. Couple of months ago same thing started to happen in 3rd gear. Looked like problem was coming back.

Replaced the tranny fluid with GMSFM 3 weeks ago. Immediate improvement in shifting! No more notchiness in any gear! Wifey (she's primary driver of the TL) is mucho happy now!!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Pro

Those pins are expensive!

I had to replace one or two of mine and man were they expensive! They were like $6 each or something like that. If anyone knows of a cheaper alternative, please let me know!

BTW, you can try to pry them out carefully using a standard screwdriver. Pry them a little on each side, and then use pliers to pull the middle out.

Originally Posted by jc-tl
BTW, what do you guys do about those pushpins holding the splash pan up? break them out and replace them? Seems to be no easy way to get them out in one piece.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by robocam
I had to replace one or two of mine and man were they expensive! They were like $6 each or something like that. If anyone knows of a cheaper alternative, please let me know!

BTW, you can try to pry them out carefully using a standard screwdriver. Pry them a little on each side, and then use pliers to pull the middle out.
Forgot to comment on the pins. They're used because they're fast and easy to install (saves labor during manufacturing), especially in "blind" holes (where it's not easy to get at the backside). For the mechanics, who have lots of practice, they're probably not too bad to get out. I think there's even a special tool to remove them.

For the rest of us I use the flat blade screwdriver approach, as stated by robocam above. Pry on the center "button" to get it up as much as possible, then pull it out the rest of the way by hand, or with a pair of pliers. This allows the "arms" to fold inward, and the whole pin to be pulled out.

Reinstallation is quick and easy (if the holes are lined up).

If you hate them that much, replace them with a small, short bolt and nut. Silicone the nut in place on the backside so that you don't have to look for it every time you remove the belly cover. Just be sure to use a wrench to hold the nut still while tightening, so as not to tear the silicone. Don't overtorque the bolts as only a little torque is needed to hold everything in place.

The advice above is based on the assumption that it's easy to get at the back side to hold the nut. I'm not near my car and can't check at the moment but I seem to remember this is the case.
The following users liked this post:
robocam (04-08-2014)
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robocam

What is the "official name" for the push pins? Man, $6.00 each, WTF! that is expensive. I was figuring a bag of 20 for $6.00 then just bust'em on the way out and replace...
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Pro

For future reference, replicas of the pins can be found at Amazon if you search for part number 91503-SZ3-003. I just bought a bag of 40 for less than $5!

Amazon.com: 10mm 40 Pcs / Pack Push-type Nylon Bumper Fender Flare Fastener Rivet Clips 91503-SZ3-003 For Honda Accord Civic CR-V CRX Del Sol Element Fit Insight Odyssey Pilot Prelude Ridgeline S2000 Acura CL Integra MDX RDX RL RSX TL TSX: Automotive Amazon.com: 10mm 40 Pcs / Pack Push-type Nylon Bumper Fender Flare Fastener Rivet Clips 91503-SZ3-003 For Honda Accord Civic CR-V CRX Del Sol Element Fit Insight Odyssey Pilot Prelude Ridgeline S2000 Acura CL Integra MDX RDX RL RSX TL TSX: Automotive

Originally Posted by jc-tl
What is the "official name" for the push pins? Man, $6.00 each, WTF! that is expensive. I was figuring a bag of 20 for $6.00 then just bust'em on the way out and replace...