Major rodent infestation in my HVAC system!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Major rodent infestation in my HVAC system!

Man, I'm afraid that I have a major health problem on my hands (I'll get to the health concern in a minute). I opened up my hood to check my fluids this weekend before heading off tomorrow for Christmas vacation (I only drive my TL on long road trips during the winter) and found rodent (probably deer mouse) droppings on the engine covers.

Of course, the first thing I thought about was: there goes my harness wiring. Then, on a hunch, I decided to check my HVAC filter. As I started to pull in out, I could hear what sounded like little pebbles falling. When I got it out, it was full of cat food and the whole housing around the filter was filled with cat food. I'm talking about 4-5 cups of cat food, no kidding!

(Yes, I have a heated garage with an infrared cat door where my cats can enter a penned off area of my garage, complete with automatic feeder.)

So the little buggers have somehow gotten into the HVAC system. Can anyone tell me if they can do that without chewing through something?

Now, here's my health concern. Hanta virus (deadly and untreatable, google it) exists in North Dakota, especially in deer mice. Deer mice are all over the place, my cat has left many a dead deer mouse on my welcome mat for me to view in the morning.

Hanta virus is primarily spread by the aerosolization of the virus from salive, urine, or feces. I'm afraid I have a potential death trap lurking in my HVAC system. I have no idea what to do next. There's no way I'm driving the car until I can be sure that all the rements of my guest have been removed and the system sterilized (if that can even be done). Any ideas on what to do next? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
get rid of the cat.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Though it might be expensive, I would have the whole HVAC system removed from the car--specifically anything behind the dash board. Inspect, clean, and replace whatever is necessary. With some clever work I'm sure the whole dash board with supports comes out of the car in almost one piece.

After that, train your cat to be more diligent about catching mice in the garage.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by THTL
get rid of the cat.
Yeah, thanks a lot for your help, jerkoff.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Race Director

Bump:

Does anyone have scans of the HVAC ducting above and below the filter area? I need to figure out how to gather all the cat food that fell down below the filter area. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
try those electronic rodent repellents. they're supposedly cat-friendly and will drive mice/rodents off the area where you install them.if you must, when the car cools (engine and all), plug one to a heavy duty extension cord (if its safe to do so), pop your hood, and lower the thing in there. that should drive whatever mice outta there.

hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most logical solution to this issue since you are concerned about your health and of your passengers, have someone from your local health institution teach you how to collect samples from the HVAC duct and area. Take proper precautions, wear a face mask and surgical gloves when doing so. Then have the sample analyzed. If it's not contaminated then you don't have anything to worry about.

If it is, then be prepared to have the whole system cleaned and sterilized. I don't know what's involved in that. It could probably just a filter replacement for all you know.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Race Director

Picture of the problem

This is what I have after pulling the air filer out (with about 1/2 cup of food on top of the filter):

I need help to figure out how to get to the cat food that has fallen down below the filter box. Any suggestions or scans would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Just pull out the fan assembly. 3 screws and a connector plug and it drops out.