Major Repair at 19,000 Miles Help?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Sundevil TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Major Repair at 19,000 Miles Help?!?

Ok, so I have had my TL for 1 year, its an 05'. I bough it new from the dealer. About 6 months ago I had an Intake put in and here is where the fun starts. I noticed a few weeks ago that the engine was not sounding normal. I told the deal when I went in for my oil change and had to argue with the service tech for 15 min that I did not void the warranty by having the Intake put in (as a side note you can have the dealer put one in also ??? WTF). Then a day later I get a call saying that the engine is running to rich and they think its due to the after market intake(BS) but I let them put the stock one back in. Then a week later I call to get a status and they tell me that the are sending the Exhaust Valves out for pressure testing. Then I call today and they say the are going to replace the Head gasket and all of the Exhaust values. I know something about engines but does it sound right for this to have to be replaced after only 19,000 miles? Also the dealer told me it was due to over revving which I think is bullshit!!!! I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if I should be worried. Oh and the attitude of the dealer is "Be happy we are fixing your dam car!". Thanks in advance!
Acura of Tempe
Old 12-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Instructor

First of all, you are fighting this battle because you modified your engine. Yes, it is only an intake, but it is an engine mod and dealers will more often than not void your warranty. Why shouldn't they void it?

It is amazing to me the number of people that install mods while still under warranty and then complain when the dealers won't support the warranty. My advice, if you mod your engine and then want to take it in for warranty work, do everything possible to get it back to stock before taking it in.

Bottom line, I think the dealer is right, be happy that they are fixing your car. Head gaskets and valve replacements are not cheap. Be polite, work with them, grovel if you have to, buy the srvc manager and techs lunch, do whatever you need to to let them know you appreciate their work and get your car back in good condition!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
You are just lucky that they touched your car with an intake.

Unless you go ballistic with mods, why even people hassle with a piece of sh.. intake that besides making noise does not do a crap in TL. It is not like you will tell a difference in 2-3 hp gain (if any). Not only you throw away $200-300 in garbage, but you also put $35k of asset at risk of loosing warranty and paying for repairs out of package.

I know that are laws that they tell you have to proof that something caused something; however, a dealer can do whatever, and it is not like you can do something about it. They can proof that an intake was a cause for every single small thing on your car and refuse any repairs without any problems.

Just be happy that they are willing to fix you car and enjoy it.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C'mon folks. I think a modicum of sympathy is in order for this guy!

I mean, a CAI isn't the most extravagant of mods that people do. And, honestly, if it came down to court, the dealer would have to present undeniable evidence that the CAI caused the problem with the engine. Whether they could or couldn't prove it is really irrelevant here.

This guy asked for help and the first thing anyone did was jump all over him for making mods. Criminey, why not help rather than lambast him and make him feel fortunate that Acrua is doing him a "favor" by fixing the problem. Trust me, anyone will tell you that it's in their best interest to fix issues since they're making money hand-over-fist anyway. (And don't flame me for that, we all know that $95 an hour charged to the Honda mothership is outlandish and that most dealers will do repair work gladly to garner extra revenue!)

In any case, you might want to walk away from this experience with the suggestion that you "un-mod" your car before you take it in for service. MOST of the time the dealer won't quibble over pretty basic stuff. Even though a CAI is a little more than "basic", I've seen dealers touch cars with just... like... HUGE mods! I had a CAI on my 2003 Accord and the dealer I went to *never* had a problem with it.

Good luck to you and I hope everything works out okay in the end!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by slapmesilly
Yes, it is only an intake, but it is an engine mod and dealers will more often than not void your warranty. Why shouldn't they void it?
Because according to Federal Law, the dealer would need to prove that the mod was/is the cause of the problem. If they fail to do so, they cannot void the warranty.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
....Also the dealer told me it was due to over revving which I think is bullshit!!!!
Uh, is it BS because you never over revved OR because you think that won't possibly float and damage your valves (which it can). So, which is it? Are people that mod their engines more or less likely to push them ? I know what the dealers think.

There was another board member that missed a shift (found 2nd instead of 4th I think) and over revved his engine. He floated his valves and smacked a few. He was pissed too. I don't know if he got Acura to pick up the bill but I do know most members did not agree with his anger toward Acura. He claimed his 3rd gear problem with his MT somehow caused him to do it.

Because according to Federal Law, the dealer would need to prove that the mod was/is the cause of the problem. If they fail to do so, they cannot void the warranty.
I actually don't know the laws to that detail but I'm guessing you do and you are correct. But I do know that it can often cost more in the end to be "right" then to be a bit humble and let them think they are doing you a favor. I completely understand why dealers try and void warranties for mods. The truth is there is a lot of crap out there that they can't control. If you were them you'd try and void it too.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Sundevil TL

Wow... Ok I think I will take a bit of everyones advice. I will not buy the techs lunch for fixing my car but I will not yell at them either. I do appreciate everyone's input on this and just be happy that I got it fixed. And no Adobeman, I have missed a gear a few times but I don't drive my car that hard so I don't believe that could be the problem. But I think that I will leave off the intake... for now... anyone interested in a slightly used Intake for a TL ?? :-)
Old 01-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brand is it? For the right price I'd be interested.

As far as the warranty is concerned, they cannot "void" your warranty for any modifications you make to the car. In order for them to not make a repair under warranty they have to prove the part in question caused the damage.

It's not exactly light reading, but here is everything you could ever want to know about the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. A Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law

I've had to fight with dealers several times over aftermarket parts and warranty claims, and as long as you are civil with them and are educated about your rights they back down. In fact just mentioning the Magnuson-Moss act usually gets them to say "We'll take care of it sir"
Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oops. Didn't edit in time. Here is the corrected link.Federal Warranty Law
Old 01-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Pro

re

they are just trying to find any way as possible to blame this on you for them to make you pay the repairs out of your pocket and not vice versa, keep the oem intake for now until things clear up and the problem is solved or else your gonna have to make some major dishing out $$$

keep us posted how things are going