Lossing control!!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Lossing control!!!!????

Lately my car has been hard to control under different situations. First of all, the steering is hard to control during hard acceleration from a stop. My steering is hard to hold when driving over grooves in the road. My car feels unstable at high speed on the highway. And lastly, my car swerves all over the place during hard braking.

I just recently had an alignment done and my tire are at least 70%. Anyone have a clue of what's going on? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
check if wheels have a bend
Old 06-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Cursed.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I just recently had an alignment done and my tire are at least 70%. Anyone have a clue of what's going on? Thanks!
1) Check your COLD tire pressures- front and rear-- below 40 psi, but at least stock psi (for the RJ Legends, probably use the 39F/36R A-spec psi)?
If not, set as proper and try driving to see if there is any difference.

2) A few questions answerable by checking the car yourself:
Were the tires rotated, and if so, how?
Unidirectional tires driving in proper direction?
Lug nuts tightened properly if there was a rotation?
Check for sidewall bulges or indications of internal damage to the tires.

3) Questions the alignment shop should answer (I'd bring the car back and have them test drive it, too!):
What are the specs, as aligned?
Were any sway bar mounts/links or suspension parts other than the steering linkages loosened during or after the alignment process?
Steering linkages tight?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by jjashaa
check if wheels have a bend
Don't think so. I've had bend rims before and did not have the issues I'm having now. I will check again though; thanks!

Originally Posted by Will Y.
1) Check your COLD tire pressures- front and rear-- below 40 psi, but at least stock psi (for the RJ Legends, probably use the 39F/36R A-spec psi)?
If not, set as proper and try driving to see if there is any difference.

2) A few questions answerable by checking the car yourself:
Were the tires rotated, and if so, how?
Unidirectional tires driving in proper direction?
Lug nuts tightened properly if there was a rotation?
Check for sidewall bulges or indications of internal damage to the tires.

3) Questions the alignment shop should answer (I'd bring the car back and have them test drive it, too!):
What are the specs, as aligned?
Were any sway bar mounts/links or suspension parts other than the steering linkages loosened during or after the alignment process?
Steering linkages tight?
1) I usually keep it at 35/32 for the stock setting, but will try that.

2) I have the Pirellis Nero Zero's (all season); no directional. I did had to replace two of my tires because of my alignment was off. The new tires were rotated to the back. One this I notice that the new tires sidewalls bulges out alittle more than my olders ones. Not sure what's up with that. They are the same brand tires.

3) The car did not feel that way after the alignment. So it's a possible that something could have gotten loose. The shop I use is usually good and never had a problem before. But does not mean that people don't make mistakes.

Thanks for all the tips guys!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Green Machine

I just got back from adjusting my tire pressures to 39/36. If anything, the ride got alittle stiffer. Also after test driving, I did further test. I drove on the highway at 65 mph. I jerked the wheel back and forth and notice that the steering response was very slow. Not as precise as before. So it is possibly something wrong with the steer/front suspension. I will take it back to the shop as soon as possible.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You described the classic symptoms of too much toe out.

Take it back to the alignment shop, especially if it wasn't like that when you first got it back. Chances are something is loose.

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
I just got back from adjusting my tire pressures to 39/36.
...I jerked the wheel back and forth and notice that the steering response was very slow. Not as precise as before.
That's the opposite of what is supposed to happen with higher psi and properly aligned steering-- the response should have gotten sharper rather than slower.
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Take it back to the alignment shop, especially if it wasn't like that when you first got it back. Chances are something is loose.
x 2.

Last edited by Will Y.; 06-30-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Green Machine

You described the classic symptoms of too much toe out.

Thanks guys. I just remembered that the shop mention I need an adjustment kit in the front that is more than 1 1/2. But it wasn't bad. I think it makes more sense that something is loose. I will take it back tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Thanks guys. I just remembered that the shop mention I need an adjustment kit in the front that is more than 1 1/2. But it wasn't bad. I think it makes more sense that something is loose. I will take it back tomorrow.
I'm sure they're talking about camber. That won't cause the symptons you're describing. Pay special attention to toe. It should be at 0, no more than .5.

I had to go to at least 3 shops to get mine right. Each time it showed that the adjustments were correct but I knew the car didn't feel right. Finally went to a race chassis builder that usually does alignments for race cars, the guy had a 2 month backlog but it sure was worth it when I got the car back.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Green Machine

I'm sure they're talking about camber. That won't cause the symptons you're describing. Pay special attention to toe. It should be at 0, no more than .5.

I had to go to at least 3 shops to get mine right. Each time it showed that the adjustments were correct but I knew the car didn't feel right. Finally went to a race chassis builder that usually does alignments for race cars, the guy had a 2 month backlog but it sure was worth it when I got the car back.
Over a year ago, I went to this one guy that had his own shop. He did alot of road racing as well. He did a great job then, but he was expensive as hell. He charged $120, but he was spot on. Maybe I should not waste time and go back to him. I will be eating alot of cash, but anything to get it right.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I say either your alignment is off or something is going on with the front sway bar (endlinks or bushings maybe ) I remeber when my rear toe was of that the rear end would "skip" over any and every little bump. Both at low and high speeds. Got a good firestone alignment and that took care of the problem.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Green Machine

Just call the shop and the guy mention that it sounds like a toe issue or something moved. I'm taking it up there this afternoon. Like I said, he is pretty good about his work. I'm confident that he will correct it. Thanks for all the input guys! I will keep you posted.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You've got Toe problems. An alignment should correct it.

Also, you might want to look into upgrading your RSB.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by Trew
You've got Toe problems. An alignment should correct it.

Also, you might want to look into upgrading your RSB.
I have a Comptech with aftermarket bushings, is that not good enough?
Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
^ My bad, dude. I should have read your signature. No that's more than good enough.

If you get your alignment corrected that should take care of the problem. As Matt (I Hate Cars) pointed out, it sounds like a negative Toe or "Toe-Out" problem.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Green Machine

Problem solved!

Ok guys this is what I did. Before I got my alignment I found the alignment sheet below in a thread that I can't remember right now. I thought this was a better set up for my suspension since it's aftermarket. So I had the shop set the sports alignment. Big mistake!

When I when there this afternoon, he check the alignment and my suspension. Everything check out; he said the alignment did not fall out or anything. So I to him to set it back to stock alignment. He test drove it, then I test it out on the highway. Big difference!

In my case, this setup did not work for me. Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds like me but Im not lowered anymore. I took my suspension off like months ago. Guess I need to find a few bucks and get this corrected.