Last week my Green D light (drive indicator) started blinking

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last week my Green D light (drive indicator) started blinking

Hello,
I have an 06 base TL with navi, 44,000 mi. CPO
I am posting this in the hopes it might help someone without a warrantee. Forgive me if it has been posted before. I searched but couldn't find anything exactly like it.
The drive light was blinking on my car last week on my way in to work. I called the dealer from work and talked to a technician. He scheduled my appointment for the following Monday. I asked him if it would damage the trans. if I drove it. He said that if the trans. was not shifting strange, it would not hurt it to drive it as normal. When I left work that evening, the light was no longer flashing, So I drove it normally.
I took it to the dealer and after getting the code from the computer they said that it was the 4th gear pressure switch. The replaced the switch. I also noticed on the statement that the reprogrammed the fuel injection.(I'm not sure why)
I spoke to the service manager, who is a friend of mine, and he said this switch does not normally go "bad", it gets contaminated and doesn't perform like it is supposed to.
But they just replace them. I guess the cost of the switch isn't worth the labor to clean it, or it can't be cleaned.
Driving the car home, immediatly, I noticed much smoother operation. I never really noticed it being rough before. but after the fix, I noticed it a lot smoother. It would kind of feel like driving on a semi-rough road, I just thought that I could feel the roughness of the asphalt (I've only had the car for a couple of weeks). Now it is very smooth.
Any way, I hope someone will find this info helpful.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
there are actually two pressure switches... did they replace one or both of them? have a look here...

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/very-interesting-conversation-my-transmission-builder-tl-721508/

the tranny also has a filter if you haven't changed that yet, you should...
Old 07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
man when I read the thread title I started shaking my head.. glad everything worked out and it was a simple fix.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM
3rd Gear

I started having the same issue with my 04 TL yesterday. How much did the repair cost?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Mine was covered under warrantee. So I'm not sure how much it costs.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Donkey Punch
I started having the same issue with my 04 TL yesterday. How much did the repair cost?
The pressure switches / sensors are about $35 each.. It would take you about 15-30 minutes to do the job. So if you went to the dealership it would cost you around $150-200 to do both 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches. This is definitely a DIY job so I suggest just getting the switches from acuraoemparts or another reputable parts dealer and changing them out, heck you could do it on your lunch break..
Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

I just noticed the same problem with my 2004 TL about two days ago so Im gonna take care of it asap.Thanks a lot
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I have no idea why any of us take the time to write up fixes on here when most people can't even search. I think I'm going to take a long break from any and all transmission threads with the exact same things being posted over and over again. This is aimed at the 2 new trans problem threads per day around here, not one person.

The mechanic was wrong. Those switches are continually going bad. The diaphragm hardens up over time and in short the calibration gets thrown off. I'm sure there's probably some sort of electrical degradation from the heat too. Cleaning will not fix a hardened diaphragm or electrical issue. You would be smart to replace the 3rd gear switch also.

You're extremely lucky that it threw a code before the trans failed as these switches usually cause failures and the ECU never throws a code until the failure has happened.
The following users liked this post:
Luke Laiklam (06-04-2022)
Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I have no idea why any of us take the time to write up fixes on here when most people can't even search. ....

It's a 2 year old thread.

The noob that bumped it DID search, found this and said, "I'm gonna do it. Thanks". So it actually WORKED. This time.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
It's a 2 year old thread.

The noob that bumped it DID search, found this and said, "I'm gonna do it. Thanks". So it actually WORKED. This time.
So you're saying I'm the dumbass this time lol. Sorry.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
So you're saying I'm the dumbass this time lol. Sorry.
S'all right. You're a HUGE asset here. Glad your still here to help - you gotta tell the story about what happened the other day sometime.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
S'all right. You're a HUGE asset here. Glad your still here to help - you gotta tell the story about what happened the other day sometime.
I would if I could remember lol.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
The pressure switches / sensors are about $35 each.. It would take you about 15-30 minutes to do the job. So if you went to the dealership it would cost you around $150-200 to do both 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches. This is definitely a DIY job so I suggest just getting the switches from acuraoemparts or another reputable parts dealer and changing them out, heck you could do it on your lunch break..
I was wondering if you change out the gear pressure switches, does the code, aka blinking D drive light reset to solid, indicating normal transmission function?
Old 05-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^once the code goes away and you reset the CEL, everything will be the same.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 AM
Intermediate

there is no check engine light CEL. the post deals with blinking drive light indicator. So, I was wondering does it reset
Old 05-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2004acuratlgreen
there is no check engine light CEL. the post deals with blinking drive light indicator. So, I was wondering does it reset
same thing, once you reset the PCM by pulling power, the [D5] light will not blink and not all transmission code will cause the [D5] light to blink some of them will set a CEL. It will not come back if you have fixed the problem. When my 4th gear pressure switch took a dump it set a CEL
Old 05-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
same thing, once you reset the PCM by pulling power, the [D5] light will not blink and not all transmission code will cause the [D5] light to blink some of them will set a CEL. It will not come back if you have fixed the problem. When my 4th gear pressure switch took a dump it set a CEL
Ok, we need to keep this simple as I'm just a weekend warrior fix it guy. How do I reset the PCM (which means what by the way). Are you saying disconnect the battery, if so for how long. I don't know what pulling power means. Thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004acuratlgreen
Ok, we need to keep this simple as I'm just a weekend warrior fix it guy. How do I reset the PCM (which means what by the way). Are you saying disconnect the battery, if so for how long. I don't know what pulling power means. Thanks
undo the battery!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Intermediate

Finished up the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches change out. Thanks for the info on that. I have the pressure jet modification in the '04, which uses the fill port on the trans, so I couldn't use it to fill without a lot of removal. I found that 1 foot of 3/8" I.D. clear hose from a hardware store, and slightly shaving the O.D. to snugly fit inside the dip stick tube, then shoving the other end inside a funnel spout (which happen to be snug) was a simple way to add the new tranny fluid.

I DID NOT need to disconnect the Bat., but keep in mind that I only had the blinking light and no CEL. Therefore, one of the switches must have failed to trigger the blink notification. The system must, in my case, do a self check, then reset. Blinking light gone. Love it when you don't get stuck by a stealer.
The following users liked this post:
Luke Laiklam (06-04-2022)
Old 12-27-2016, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Help!! Lol

hey what's up? Any input would be greatly appreciated I have a 2006 Acura TL I purchased it 2 weeks ago. My lease was up on my Audi and I have a2 year old son so I wanted a decent safe reliable car and love Acura. I found this TL with 76000 miles on it $4500 the car looked like it was in decent shape but what got me to buy it was the low mileage I brought my mechanic he quickly look over it and said it needed a power steering pump and a gas cap (engine light on) you was a friend of mine just doing me a favor. I bought the car and went to register it when I noticed a little n and a little S on a title. I look closely and it said is still for salvaged title and installed for not actual miles!!!!! Wtf it was a New Jersey title and in Connecticut those things are stamped in Big letters across the title. I brought it to my mechanic a different one that originally saw the car. After running the service records and not knowing the mileage on the car I end up doing a water pump timing belt a couple hoses had for good tires on it except not one was the right size or matched I ended up paying $5,700 to get the car up to where it should be.. I also replaced a bunch of other things radiator hi rod ends things that could go in the near future I just don't want any issues with the car. Why I am writing this today is yesterday I I got the car detailed and put all new seats in the car it looked amazing and a different car at then it did when I bought it. Driving home as I'm thinking how much I spent but at least I have a reliable car I noticed the green light next to the D symbol blinking I felt a little bit of drag in the pedal and as I was driving my vs a light comes on and I lose power to the car. And I really was thinking how nice in reliable it was the second that happened go figure? I shut the car off and turn it back on and it was fine. 20 minutes later Green blinking light comes on I I lose power. Shut the car off turn it on its fine. I dropped off a mechanic this morning and happened twice on the way there. After reading tons online I called to see what code had been stored? I didn't talk to my mechanic but they informed me that it was just a low on transmission fluid. After reading tons of stuff online. I'm somewhat confused. I have heard that when the green light goes on its stores a code? That the mechanic can read and resolve the issue? And on other treads I heard that no code is stored the green blinking light is only two alert you of a transmission issue? now here I am with $100 in my bank account and the most expensive cheap car I've ever bought. My question is would low transmission fluid and that alone cause that issue? And are any codes stored when that issue occurs? When calling to find out the status I was praying it was not transmission failure!! And hoping it was a switch or something external that needs to be replaced. When I was told it was only low on fluid. I did not have the confidence I would have if they told me it was a switch or a filter. Regardless I do not want to do any on needed work. But just Need to know that the issue is resolved? Or that if there were underlying issues such as a filter or a switch that needs to be replaced that's the computer would store that code alerting the mechanic to replace them? Any information suggestions or comments will be appreciated!! Sorry for the long post and any unneeded information!! I just want to enjoy and have confidence in the car I spent so much money on. Just let me know your thoughts thanks again!!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

get the codes stored.. they will tell you what is going on. Run a carfax on it. What did your insurance agent say when you titled the car? Most of them will tell you the history they have on the car