Issues that can lead to other issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues that can lead to other issues.

I have an issue here that is not too serious but makes me a little paranoid.

A little history of the car... it had 2 previous owners and the second owner did some modding... i guess(he was an acurazine member). The car has stock exhaust now but from my acura service rep, the center piece was not put back properly. recently I had the 3rd gear TSB done and after the job, I had some weird whining noise which came from the bad welding job, told from my service rep.

I felt relieved hearing that it was something else but now I'm beginning to wonder how come I never heard it before. Can someone tell me if this could be possible or am I receiving some shady practice?

Thanks for reading btw!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
You are receiving the common line of crap, which is for them to point fingers at the mod.

I am not sure what you mean by "the center piece was not put back properly". I will assume that you mean some component on the exhaust system that was welded.

From what I am reading, the tech said that the modified exhaust has some welds that are producing the whine. If I have this right, then here are my thoughts.

I have never heard of anyone to hear "whine" from an exhaust leak. On the contrary, whine noises are very much related to gears...... hummm.... recently had the 3rd gear TSB done, right?

Here is what I recommend. Take the car to a muffler shop and have then inspect it for any possible exhaust leaks. Get a receipt, preferably with the receipt stating that the service performed was to check for an exhaust leak.

With said receipt in your hand, go back to the dealer, Hand the receipt to the tech and tell him in a polite but firm voice that
1) you have no exhaust leak (professionally confirmed)
2) you recently had the 3rd gear TSB
3) you had no whine prior to the 3rd gear TSB (is this correct?)
4) Whine noises usually are related to gear issues, not exhaust leaks (maybe stand out of arm's reach when saying this one)
Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excellent advice
Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Racer

To be more specific about the sound...have you ever blown or talked into an electric fan? it kinda sounds ilke that but it sounds more metalic. (if this makes any sense) Another thing is if the car gets warmed up enough, you can hear the noise but it's less severe.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
where in illinois are u?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Does the sound change with the trans in different gears? Does the sound go away when you take your foot off of the gas pedal?

Try this. Reach a steady speed (approx 40 mph) when you hear the sound. Place the trans in neutral. Is the sound still present with the trans in neutral and foot off of the gas pedal? While coasting in neutral, goose the throttle. Does the sound change pitch whiling goosing the throttle and trans in neutral?

Here is what I am thinking. If it is an exhaust leak, the sound we still be present and change pitch when you goose the throttle while coasting in neutral. If the sound remains constant, it is probably gear whine.

Does the whine change pitch if you very gentle change throttle settings from barely coasting to barely accelerating? If yes, this further points to gear whine.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by djbonsu
where in illinois are u?
near mundelein.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Does the sound change with the trans in different gears? Does the sound go away when you take your foot off of the gas pedal?

Try this. Reach a steady speed (approx 40 mph) when you hear the sound. Place the trans in neutral. Is the sound still present with the trans in neutral and foot off of the gas pedal? While coasting in neutral, goose the throttle. Does the sound change pitch whiling goosing the throttle and trans in neutral?

Here is what I am thinking. If it is an exhaust leak, the sound we still be present and change pitch when you goose the throttle while coasting in neutral. If the sound remains constant, it is probably gear whine.

Does the whine change pitch if you very gentle change throttle settings from barely coasting to barely accelerating? If yes, this further points to gear whine.
I don't think the sound changes....the only time it changes is when i'm coming to a stop coasting. when that happens the sound dims down as i'm slowing down. The sound goes away when i press on the gas instead.

When i put the car in neutral, the sound disappears. What's goosing the throttle? is that when you bleep the gas? anyways i got the car back today and drove it and it seems that the warmer weather also affects the sound as it was alot warmer today and as my car warms up i could barely hear it.

Last edited by wonton; 01-13-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Safety Car

Sorry, my bad. Goose means to bleep the gas as you said.

Most likely not exhaust because sounds from an exhaust leak would not go away when trans was placed in neutral. Also, you would probably still hear an exhaust leak while at a stop.

Most likely from the trans gears. Because you just had the tsb service, and the sound begin right after having the tsb, then that strongly points to the cause.

Plus from your recent reply describing when the sound happens and when the sound disappears, it does seem to point to a gear whine.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Sorry, my bad. Goose means to bleep the gas as you said.

Most likely not exhaust because sounds from an exhaust leak would not go away when trans was placed in neutral. Also, you would probably still hear an exhaust leak while at a stop.

Most likely from the trans gears. Because you just had the tsb service, and the sound begin right after having the tsb, then that strongly points to the cause.

Plus from your recent reply describing when the sound happens and when the sound disappears, it does seem to point to a gear whine.
Do you think this is bad? Another note on my receipt said that there was another noise coming from the aftermarket air box. what is that? I definitely have to agree this does not sound like an exhaust leak because i hear it vividly in 5th gear coasting down then if i was in 2nd gear coasting down(barely hear it) I'll take your advice on taking it to a exhaust shop and go from there. Thanks for the help btw!