Interior lights won't come on when I unlock the door with remote

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior lights won't come on when I unlock the door with remote

When I unlock the door, the interior lights used to come on and then dim. The other day I smelt something burning, and they had stopped working. I've checked both fuse 6 and 7 and they're both good and the lights turn on when I click on them and the switch is on the middle. I know there's a capacitor that holds the power and I think this is what burned. Does anyone know exactly where this capacitor is and how I can fix it? Anyone know if I can put a little bigger capacitor for longer time before it dims?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
I guess you searched for similar issue and found nothing. Then, with no info, you need to go the hard way.

Interior lights (when in automatic mode) are controlled by MICU, which is built-in into the fusebox.

If fuse and bulbs are good, then first thing I would do is to test whether MICU or wire/roof light is bad.

Before you disconnect anything, take key out of the ignition. Battery should remain connected. Don't disconnect yellow wires/connectors as those go to the airbags.

To test for the cable, and how i figured it out:

Here you can see that lights, when switch is in middle position, are pretty much controlled only by "Green and Red" wire, that goes to MICU. We need to check if this wire is all right.

To test it the right way, you need to find this wire when it connects to the fusebox. According to service manual it should be 5 pin connector, where 4th wire is Green and Red. Good luck finding it!

There is even a page for MICU test input, that specifies this connector and wire.

So if lights comes up when you connect that wire to the ground... I have bad news. There is no simple and cheap way to fix this problem.

At this point you can either:
- continue testing (if anything else is left, for example if this pin is connected to the ground when doors are open)
- buy new/used but good fusebox
- open it up and trace components from this wire, or look for burned components

If they don't come up, it should be much cheaper to fix, as either this wire, or map light must be bad somehow.

Also go over everything I wrote and check if it makes sense. I might made a mistake somewhere.

And to make lights light up for longer time, isn't there a option to select the time? Don't remember now and it's too cold to go outside and check
Lights are controlled my MICU, so unless it uses some simple analog circuit to time them, there is no capacitor to replace.

Last edited by peter6; 01-16-2018 at 11:00 AM.