Inspection Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inspection Issues

Hey guys,

If anybody has any type of knowledge, please help. My car is registered in North Carolina but I am currently in New York. The inspection expired in May so I got my inspection done over here, in New York. So far, all has been well but my mechanic told me to leave my old North Carolina inspection sticker on the windshield right next to the New York inspection sticker. Any word on this? Am I allowed to have a New York State Inspection sticker on a North Carolina registered vehicle?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
I don't believe another state inspection would take place of the inspection requirements of NC. In fact I'm surprised that another state would inspect the vehicle if registered elsewhere, unless it's a courtesy inspection. In NJ you can only have inspection done if the car is registered in NJ. If you're living in NY for a short period of time, e.g. student, I believe you'll have 10 days to have the car inspected when returning to NC. If permanent residence in NY, better have the car registration transferred to NY, or live with the expired NC sticker and remove the NY sticker. Having both, or even a NY sticker with NC tags may cause the police to start asking questions
Old 07-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
yeah man... REMOVE that NY inspection sticker IMMeDIATELY... NY law Enforcement can't DO NOTHING about you having an expired OUT-OF-STATE inspection sticker 'cause they can't regulate another's states regulations...

So if and when you get a ticket for an expired inspection ticket... take to court 'cause it'll be throw out immediately by a judge...

<|==== was guilty of running with and expired out-of-state inspection sticker in NYC for two years...
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
yeah man... REMOVE that NY inspection sticker IMMeDIATELY... NY law Enforcement can't DO NOTHING about you having an expired OUT-OF-STATE inspection sticker 'cause they can't regulate/enforce another's states regulations...

So if and when you get a ticket for an expired inspection ticket... take to court 'cause it'll be throw out immediately by a judge...

<|==== was guilty of running with and expired out-of-state inspection sticker in NYC for two years...
Old 07-10-2007, 01:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Your annual inspection is based on where the car is registered.

If you are in NY temporarily and your NC inspection expires, you need to have you car re-inspected in NC upon your return since NC is where the car is registered.

Now, if you've moved to NY and have failed to have your car registered there, that is a different question.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

here's the deal...

my car is registered in NC because taxes and my insurance rates are all cheaper down there. plus we have a house down there so last summer when over there, i bought the car. however, my parents live in NY and i am currently here also. i do go to school here and i have been riding around with a valid NY inspection and an expired NC inspection. Cops have seen this while passing through toll booths and what not and all has been well so far. However, my mechanic told me that once I go down to NC, i might have problems getting the car serviced or whatever but one of my cousins down there is a mechanic who can issue me an inspection sticker. I'm just honestly really confused about this so is there anyway I can find out some more information about state inspections somewhere. thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^I'm basically in the same situation as you are! Let's be honest, we love it up here but the Insurance rates are bullshit!

I have Virginia plates on my two cars but live up in New Jersey. You must have your car inspected in the state your registered. I would remove the NY State Inspection sticker once you get back to NC and you can just tell them that you were not aware that the inspection was state specific.

I run into this problem every year, I'm in Virginia once a month so when it comes time for inspection for each car I have to make a point to take it down for it's annual inspection. I wish VA had the inspections laws that NJ has... Getting this done every year is a pain in the ass, once every four would be great
Old 07-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Let's Go Pens

I would suggest calling your local DMV office in North Carolina for specific details. Just tell them your going to school up there and just realized your inspection is expired... Simply tell them you arn't able to make it back to NC anytime soon and see what they suggest:

The NC DMV website I found is <http://www.ncdot.org/>

Good luck dude!

This doesn't seem like much help, nevertheless, I'll post it anyway:

Chapter 7: Vehicle Inspection

Previous Section Handbook Table of Contents Next Section

All motor vehicles registered in North Carolina must be inspected annually for mechanical safety. The DMV oversees the inspection process. The objective of the inspection is to make sure the motoring public is safe.
A North Carolina vehicle safety inspection is required within 10 days of receiving a North Carolina license plate or by the last day of the month printed on the inspection window sticker. The annual cost of the sticker is $9.25.

The North Carolina vehicle inspection can be performed at any of the 7,500 licensed inspection stations throughout the state. Most service stations, automobile dealerships and vehicle repair garages are licensed inspection stations.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Instructor

That's BS that someone would even inspect it and issue a sticker in NY.

It's based on where the vehicle is registered - and only that state can give you a ticket for expired stickers. Just schedule to have it done the next time you're down there on vacation or whatever. Even if it's not for 6 months.

I live in PA, just near the border of NJ. And I've always worked in NJ, so most of my driving was in NJ. In the past and especially with older cars, I've gone over a year with expired stickers, and NJ never looked twice sicne I had PA plates/stickers.

Good luck and don't sweat it!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
New NC Registration ID Rules

You may well be F'd now. "Gaming" the system (i.e. Living in NY and Registering in NC) may not be an option much longer. In order to Register you car in NC you must now show an NC license.

If you live in NY, keeping an NC license indefinetly may be difficult.

New ID Requirement

Effective July 4, 2007 you are required to present a North Carolina Driver License or a North Carolina Special Identification Card to register a vehicle in North Carolina (N.C.G.S. 20-52 (a)(1a)(b)). This means in order to register a vehicle for the first time and any subsequent vehicles you must have a North Caroina Driver License or a North Carolina Special Identification Card.
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/hot_topics/...quirement.html
Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Bearcat, I do have an NC license. the registration and all that fun stuff is not a problem, only the inspection has become an issue i'm worried about.

However, today, while driving home from my girlfriend's house, i had to go into a toll booth to get into the tunnel. Turns out that the EZ Pass scanner in that specific toll booth was broken or i drove too far in front of it too quickly. So after waiting there for like two minutes, the cop finally came over to provide me with some assistance. While approaching my car, he noticed that the windshield had two inspection stickers, one being a vaild NY inspection and the other being an expired NC inspection. He then said, "So which one is it, North Carolina or New York?" I replied "North Carolina but I'm a student here." In response he asked, "You bought the car new?" And I said. "Yeah, last year." Then he continued to help me with the EZ Pass and then I drove off.

My question is, why did he ask me if I bought the car new? Does that make a difference?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Let's Go Pens

^^ Generally, when you buy the car new the dealers responsibility in the state you buy the car to have it inspected. However, my past 3 cars were bought in NJ with me registering them in virginia. I was given a credit from the dealer and had to have the cars inspected down in Va.

Not sure why the cop would have asked this, but probably figured if you bought the car new then it just came with the inspection sticker.

Whoever did your inspection in NY you should get a refund because it's not legal, regardless of having the sticker on your winshield. Your inspection is only valid where your car is registered and it's up to that state to issue tickets/fines for expired inspection. I think the shop you went to knew better but just wanted to make an easy buck off you.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

The shop I went to was actually a mechanic who is a family friend. I guess he did it for me temporarily knowing that I am a student here and recommends that I have it replaced as soon as I get to NC, whenever that may be. He said NC might give me problems for it though. Guess I will just have to wait and find out for myself.