inner headlight lens cleaning, think this would work??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
inner headlight lens cleaning, think this would work??

hi

I measured the difference between the compromised lens side and the still normal lens with my Minolta lightmeter.
5.5 EV for the bad one that makes the pattern on the garage door look fuzzy, 6.5 EV on the sharply delineated, decent lens output
Car was 25 ft away and tape on garage was at height as per manual someone here posted, THANK YOU BTW.
Thats a huge diff exponentially, considering light fall off formula.
Didnt see a good way to convert it to meaningful lumen, dont know how HID bulb manufacturers measure it anyway so not mattering, would be interested to know if the new one coming meets its Philips 3400 lumen value is all.

When the lens is compromised it not only looks ugly but loses lite to diffusion.

So in the picture sequence included, I theorize two approaches. One from the side, repair with removed section of outer plastic protector/cover would be visible but somewhat discrete, or if more tricky approach cutting in down from the top, it would be hidden under the hood when its closed.
Either way, it wouldnt be in the way IE ruin the light output from the projector lens once cleaned.
Two pencils together is what Im guessing a clamped shut forceps would max out widthwise... the length looks good...
so carving out a small chunk out of lens direction was what I was considering and reaching in with swab/solution.
My junkyard assembly has a precipitate on it not condensation, or was condensation that mineralized over time.

I read how ppl have removed the entire facecover of the assembly for things like this, or modding the lenses. Seems risky if all those sliptabs break like they did when I practiced on this broken assembly.
Also easier intro of humidity, better chance to cause a faulty reseal with butyl, takes more time, needs you to remove from car WHICH ACURA SURE MADE SURE TO BE A HASSLE just to replace a bulb, let alone remove the whole assembly... or in my case want to clean that inner lens. Also WAY less time consuming than the other way.

This is a junkyard $20 assembly not the 500-800 Rock auto new or the twice as much as that Honda new.
The $20 is not a big loss if this fails.
Its combing over and over again, untl a junkyard gets a wreck in that didnt take out that side. Or doesnt have a bonepicker who BASHED their way in to remove the HID, instead of nicely remove all the body work you have to do just to get the HID (AGAIN, $&$#^#^$ THANKS A LOT ACURA)

Thoughts? Input? Anyone try something this similar?