I think I have a problem with my TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I have a problem with my TL

I think this never happened before but a couple of days ago I started to feel some delay on the engines reaction after a complete stop..

What happens is that when completely stopped and then push the gas pedal to go, it feels like when you ran out of gas for about less than a second and then gets to normal... Mmm not sure if I was clear enough but this is the first time it happens..

If anyone might now any reason for this problem..please let me know..

Thanks..
Old 10-13-2005, 09:36 PM
4th Gear

Out of curiosity, how warm was it outside when you noticed this hesitation? I have experienced the same thing, but it seems to correlate with temperatures above 90F.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
does it act like its in neutral and then kicks in? mine does that too...i think thats just normal
Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by peef
Out of curiosity, how warm was it outside when you noticed this hesitation? I have experienced the same thing, but it seems to correlate with temperatures above 90F.

Interesting... I've had the same problem... But since it has cooled down I haven't noticed it...
Old 10-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hm.. iono if it relates but my first gen tl is starting to do the same thing, i only post here to know if it is a problem i would like to know so i can fix it before it gets worse.. cuz it didnt do this when i first bought the car.. cuz if its normal then my car juss broke in at 130k.. lol well no laughing matter but im curious..
Old 10-13-2005, 09:56 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I have two theories
1. hot temperature.

2. you just feel like it. When you have repeated stopping and launching in non-synchronized series of lights, you just feel like car isn't responding instantly because you are trying to launch quicker than other cars in your mind. It might have something to do with electronic throttle lag too
Old 10-13-2005, 09:58 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by kimacuratl
I think this never happened before but a couple of days ago I started to feel some delay on the engines reaction after a complete stop..

What happens is that when completely stopped and then push the gas pedal to go, it feels like when you ran out of gas for about less than a second and then gets to normal... Mmm not sure if I was clear enough but this is the first time it happens..

Thanks..
Model year, mileage, tranny type would be helpful...

Could it be that you usually drive gently/slow and the 5AT has adapted to your driving style? (assuming it's a 5AT)
Old 10-13-2005, 10:05 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RedSoxGuy
Interesting... I've had the same problem... But since it has cooled down I haven't noticed it...
Same thing here. No problems for the last couple of weeks, and it's been significantly cooler. Keep in mind I don't notice the hesitation every time it gets hot, but when it has happened, it's been above 90.

I suspect that as the temperature gets warmer the engine control computer will tend to retard the spark a bit to prevent detonation, especially if the fuel was of variable quality.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Tempeture was around 85.. and I don't think it has nothing to do with the electronic throttle.. I'm not a gentle dirver either, just regular 27 years old driver...

The neutral and the kick in is normal I guess but this is different..

Im gonna be cheking it a couple of days more and I;ll let you guys know if I find something new...

Thanks a lot guys for the reply....
Old 10-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Instructor

sorry.. 2004 TL AT and around 20000 miles on it.. Tranny recalled and fixed
Old 10-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sorry.. 2004 TL AT and around 20000 miles on it.. Tranny recalled and fixed

Like most people said it's related to heat and it also has to do a lot more with stop and go city driving. It will feel like the car is in second gear until it hits Vtec and then drives normal. https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/cadillac-spied-sebring-121797/

I have come to accept it as "NORMAL" for the TL. It only happens once in awhile but definitely when it's hot, I am doing a lot of city driving, and I have the A/C on.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks..

My Maxima used to do the same thing. I havent had the problem with the TL yet, knock on wood.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Racer

I have 05 TL AT with about 4k miles. I think the build date on my car is March 2005. On occasion, I have noticed the same engine hesitation issue with the car being at a dead stop and when I go to pull away normally from the stop, the engine hesitates as if it’s going to stall for just a brief moment.

In each case, the car has not been driven in several hours and the outside temperatures ranged from 80's to mid 70's. I use premium Shell gas from the first day of owning the care from a gas station that has a lot of volume at the gas station that was built in the last 7 - 10 years.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this issue every time or on demand. This issue will happen maybe twice a month with the car driven daily during the workweek. I notice this started to occur around 3,300 miles on the car.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Dr. Feelgood

There was a thread regarding this issue awhile back. It's pretty normal for the 5AT. The hesitation only happens at complete stops.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:22 PM
10th Gear

I feel a hesitation but it feels as if I had left the E-brake on. Sort of a grinding hesitation feeling. Anyone experience this?

My car is new, '05 TL, less than 500 miles.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same problem, if you do a search on my messages or with word sluggish you will find them

My tranny was replaced this week 2005 TL AT 20000 miles. Unfortunatly it's rainning a lot here and i couldn't see if the problem is over.

Facts :

Hot temp
lot of city driving
feel like you take off in second gear
Unable to chirp the tires when you launch your car

There was a grinding sound, difficult to notice but when occurs at about 2000 rpm. May be during a second.

A lot of thing was studied by ACURA

Clean catalytic component (twice)
Change the ECU program (3 times)
CHange the O2 sensor
Change the Knock sensor

And finally change the tranny

Even if a lot of people have the same problem it's not normal, you can feel a slight difference if the temp is high or low but not so much. One time i was not able to overpass a recent Camry from a start, even a basic civic would have won.
I think a big tranny recall is on the way
Old 10-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sebounet2005
I had the same problem, if you do a search on my messages or with word sluggish you will find them

My tranny was replaced this week 2005 TL AT 20000 miles. Unfortunatly it's rainning a lot here and i couldn't see if the problem is over.

Facts :

Hot temp
lot of city driving
feel like you take off in second gear
Unable to chirp the tires when you launch your car

There was a grinding sound, difficult to notice but when occurs at about 2000 rpm. May be during a second.

A lot of thing was studied by ACURA

Clean catalytic component (twice)
Change the ECU program (3 times)
CHange the O2 sensor
Change the Knock sensor

And finally change the tranny

Even if a lot of people have the same problem it's not normal, you can feel a slight difference if the temp is high or low but not so much. One time i was not able to overpass a recent Camry from a start, even a basic civic would have won.
I think a big tranny recall is on the way

If it's a problem with the tranny getting too hot I would bet that a simple tranny cooler would solve the problem. However, Acura should provide that for us because tranny coolers I have seen range from $500-$2,000. I personally have only experienced it a few times. It's not like clockwork so it's hard to diagnose and not worth my time going into the dealership for it yet.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Instructor

A_UFO you are right.. It feels like if the cars going to stall.. That's exactly what happens. I one noticed it a couple of weeks ago but these days its doing a lot more frequently..

And one more thing.. the car seems to have lost a lot of power since I'v noticed this hesitation.. Maybe Im getting it's just me but well.. feels like that..

I think i'm going to wait till my next service which is coming soon... So I'll keep updated...
Old 10-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Racer

Kimacuratl,

Thanks for offering to post what they find on your TL that is causing this issue.

I am not sure I want to spend time and effort trying to convince the dealership of this issue until my TL has the issue more frequently. At least to the point I can duplicate the issue with the mechanic riding/driving the car.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:05 AM
Racer

Question Did you get the stall fixed

A_UFO you are right.. It feels like if the cars going to stall.. That's exactly what happens. I one noticed it a couple of weeks ago but these days its doing a lot more frequently..

And one more thing.. the car seems to have lost a lot of power since I'v noticed this hesitation.. Maybe Im getting it's just me but well.. feels like that..

I think i'm going to wait till my next service which is coming soon... So I'll keep updated...
Kimacuratl,

Did you get this issue resolved and if so what was done to the car to fix the stall?

My car did the momentary stall feeling from dead stop yesterday with outside temps around mid to low 60's.

Thanks