Help! Steering problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Steering problem.

Ok its been a month with this issue that seems that I can not fix. I don't know what else it could be. But this is what I have done so far... just about a month ago, I noticed my car was leaking some sort of oil. Lifted the car up at my friends shop. It was the rack and pinion. Ordered it, replaced it, but since I was down there, I took a look around (why not, just to see if there was anything else before ordering the parts from Acura). My 'compliance bushing' also, on the left side was torn, replaced it as well. Well after replacing both, I knew I had to get an alignment done (recommended after replacing any suspension components). Of course I also needed to take air out of the Power steering pump since hoses were disconnected from the rack and pinion. I did that, the steering worked great for that day, the following morning, it was hard to steer, like if the PS pump still had air, but no funny noises like the pumps normally do when there is air in the system. Went back to the shop, lifted the car up, looked around and NO leak, checked all the hoses, nothing. I then buy a P.S. pump, replaced that for a new one, the power steer fluid was replaced, of course using the acura bottle. Then bled out the system, made sure no air, steered from left to right, did all that.. I checked my bushings, upper control arms, lower control arms, the rack and pinion, and the rack and pinion mount bushings.. Only when the car is above 35mph or so the steering is great, but only when I need to slow down and make a turn, the steering gets difficult. But I only have one more thing it could be, the pressure hose from that PS bump. and i did the recall way back when I first got the car. Another friend works at Acura, but he something about he can't be working on cars outside job hours, gave me a big story. But he said, that maybe I needed the new update power steering pressure hose kit. I bought it just in case. But could it be that? I need help, like I said, only above 35mph the steering works great, i brake and try to turn left/right and the steering is hard. But no noises, no leaks. I don't want to take it to the dealership just because I know the consultant is going to come out with some BS. Any suggestions what I might be missing?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Ped4o
But he said, that maybe I needed the new update power steering pressure hose kit. I bought it just in case. But could it be that?
FYI, the power steering hose was recalled for most 3G TL & TL-S models from '04-'08.
If your power steering hose is the original, it's a recall item and should be replaced by the Acura dealer without cost to you.

However, the recall has been out for a while now-- if you aren't the original owner of the car, the dealer will check the VIN to see if the recall work was done on it previously.

Same applies to the windshield wiper motor, BTW-- recall for inspection and work around the same time as the PS hose recall.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 PM
6th Gear

Will Y. I did take the car to the dealer when the recall for the hose came up. Even the dealer double checked, got the VIN and said, it had been replaced. Apparently, there is a newer pressure hose, the updated pressure hose its what the parts person said, not even the dealership knows whats wrong with the steering of the car. I first did replace the rack and pinion along with the driver side compliance bushing.

The day I replaced the compliance bushing, I took it in for alignment. That same day I had replaced the rack and pinion and since I disconnected hoses, i did the bleed and took the air out of the PS. That day like I said the car worked great. That evening I went home around 8pm, car was parked over night and then the following morning the steering felt heavy, for both side, left or right; it sure was difficult to steer. While I was going back to my friends garage, I did noticed that the steering was good only if the car was around 35mph+, but if I had to slow down and make a turn left or right, it then became difficult. Well that morning I went to Acura and bought a PS pump, did the bleed in the steering, since I had a new pump, I also replaced the steering fluid (acura). But it was still difficult. I took the whole day checking the car, suspension parts etc. but everything looks normal. No leaks, no parts that need replacement. I then decided to take it in for service, the techs inspected it, and sure it they said the same thing, the steering was not normal. After 2 hours they don't even know, but to replace the rack and pinion themselves. They replace it, but no luck. So now I don't even know what else it can be. The only option I see is to actually replace the pressure hose for the new one, its made out of different material, is what they said.... so I'll maybe try that and bleed out the PS pump again and see what goes from there....
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not sure after doing all that. But when I had my car at the dealer for the PS recall I talked to the mechanic and he told me that a lot of times the hose on the front of the PS pump fails (leaks and/or air) after the PS recall is done. You might want to check it out just in case, especially since it's only around a $11 part (Part#53731-SDB-A00). Also, is your new PS Pump brand new, or was it rebuilt? I'm wondering if all the o-rings/gaskets are new or not. In case that might be part of the issue. If not thats a cheap fix too. Lastly you didn't mention the belt, was it replaced at the same time or is it in good condition?

My PS pump was leaking when I got my car and hard to steer as well. I did the PS pump diy rebuild and changed the fluid and it was a lot better after but still not perfect. I need to have my rack and pinion replaced to but haven't done it yet. Hope you find the fix soon & since I have some of the same issues it might help me too.

Btw the new PS hose for the recall is insulated so you'll know if they have the "new" one on or not. My car was listed as having the PS recall done previously in their system but looking at it it was obvious that it wasn't the new hose as it wasn't insulated. So they re-did it.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^can you take a picture of your engine bay?
The dealers said my vin has had the recall done.

but i dont think soo....
Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Sure. Not the best pic cuz cuz its in parking garage w/out much room but you can see it at least. Lmk if u need a better pic I can take another after work. This is between the block & the strut tower brace.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
6th Gear

LGcbp8, I always recommend replacing the PS pump, just its a hydraulic pump. Yeah doing the o-rings might fix it, but for how long though. I did that way back, like 2 years ago, and it only lasted 6 months or so. Yes it was a new pump, Acura carries them. The regular auto parts stores have the remanufactured/rebuilt ones. Yeah I have literally replaced everything except one hose, the pressure hose (recall that you guys are talking about) that goes from the pump to the rack and pinion. Who knows I might end up maybe doing it tomorrow. I'll see if its that.. but I just checked my tie rod ends, upper arms, lower arms, end links, maybe thinking it could be that. But nope, the car steers good when lifted, but only in the ground it doesn't want to work, unless its moving above 35mph.. but o well i keep you guys posted.

justnspace, get the rack off from eBay. They have reasonable prices. Also I have my car with braces, I even took does off. But no luck the same thing with or without the bracing on the chassis.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Sorry for broken pic link. Work blocks image hosting sites & I only have flickr on my phone (no photobucket). If you click on the pic link it should still take you to it tho. I can't confirm that since I just get a lovely 'webpage blocked' message if I click on it. Thanks work.

I can repost it later if needed. But it's the shiny hose in the pic. Nothing like shiny hoes ...I mean hose