HELP! Issues after replacing PCM

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
URGENT HELP! Bad PCM due to Flooding?

Hey guys, so I've had a new issue that's basically bricked my '08 TL Base.

We've had a bunch of flooding in my area today, and I had to do a little driving around.
I'd say the deepest water I drove through was probably 10"-12" deep, so I figured I'd be ok and drove through a few patches of standing water.

Welp, I ended up getting home and the TL stalled in my driveway giving off codes for multiple sensors and throwing up a P16B for a starter issue.
My first thought was "oh fuck, did i just hydrolock my engine?" so I took it to a trusted shop and had them run a diagnostic expecting to hear about fouled plugs and some water in the cylinders.

They just called back and said that the PCM (powertrain control module) has been shorted out and will need to be replaced/reprogrammed, looking at a total repair cost of ~$1000 for parts and labor.

My question is does this sound right to you guys?
I'm trying to find the location of the PCM on a part diagram so I can see if that makes sense.
Is the PCM built into the ECM/ECU?
I can only find the following part: Control Module, Engine (Rewritable) - Acura (37820-RDA-A84)

I'm hoping that I can find my own part and install it so I can just tow the car to the dealership and have them reprogram it.
I've already spoken with the techs at the shop that diagnosed it, and that's basically what they'll do, just at a higher cost.

Any advice is helpful, I've got to try and get my daily back on the road ASAP.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:07 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
From what I’ve read, the ecu/pcm is behind the stereo/center console floor. Under the dash, forward of the stereo, etc.....

check this link. Part #1
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...nit-cabin-scat

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 02-23-2019 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Paulson (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for replying, man.
I saw that diagram, but that part specifies an ECM (engine control module), same part I linked.

Is the PCM built into the same module, or do you think the part linked is the one they meant?
Old 02-23-2019, 05:20 PM
-------Tim-------

I’m not 100% sure. But I also didn’t click on your links.

Im pretty sure the ecu/pcm is all one unit!
Old 02-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

It would make sense for acura to build both the PCM and ECM into one unit, since they're both sort of the "brains" of the car.

I dunno, does it make sense that some flooding could short this out?
Seems like a weird place for water to cause shorting if it's located on the floor behind the console.

If it was from the floodwater, I'd sooner expect it to be due to water getting into a harness, so I don't want to replace it just to short it out again.

I've read that water from the A/C can drip down onto the ECM and cause these issues, and since I had the A/C on full blast to defog my windshield, I wonder if the root cause may be A/C leak, not floodwater
Old 02-23-2019, 05:34 PM
-------Tim-------

You’re correct. A/c has been an issue for some with this problem. Apparently the drain gets clogged, and drips water onto the ecu/pcm. How I don’t recall exactly. You can find refurbished ecu’s on eBay, etc.....that might be a better solution. Then have the dealer or whoever, rewrite it to your car....

it would be best if you could access the ecu, to see if there is water signs on it. Or to check a/c drain, and see if that’s clogged. Before just spending money on a part you’re not 100% on. Tho unfortunately it sounds like this could be the problem.

How’d you get the car to mechanic? It worked driving there after dying in driveway?

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 02-23-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

I'll probably be looking for a refurb. I only owe $2000 on the car and don't really want to spend a ton of money on what I consider a simple repair.

I'll likely end up having to inspect A/C and harnesses to make sure i've knocked out the source of the problem.

If anyone has any other suggestions on what to check or confirmation that this could be caused by floodwater, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:44 PM
-------Tim-------

Cool! Was just sharing info that I’ve read on. Hope it’s rather simple!
Old 02-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

@Slpr04UA6 oh! I didn't see you asked how I got it to the shop.
It actually started back up once after removing the key and just re-cranking....... then died after I went around the block in my neighborhood.
I could crank it, but it wouldn't actually start, just threw a bunch of sensor codes and a starter issue.

Ended up having AAA tow it for me.

The guys in the shop got it running again after about 5 minutes.
They came to the conclusion about PCM later after I had left, I imagine after a diagnostic screen and maybe a test drive.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,391 Posts
^
The easiest way to narrow down what exact part the shop you took the car to is recommending is to get the part # from them, if possible.
Using that #, get the official part name on one of the online Acura parts vendors to cross check compatibility with your car. Used said confirmed part number and name for searches in finding your replacement part, ie ebay. Also, once you have an idea of what the part is called, you can search your local or nationwide salvage yards on car-part.com.
Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2019, 05:57 PM
Intermediate

They're closed tomorrow, but I'll talk to their head tech on monday and narrow it down.

Before getting anything, I'll likely talk to a connection I have at my local dealership.
He's actually a pretty straight-shooter (rare in a dealership's service department), so he should be able to tell me if the diagnosis makes sense and hopefully a discount on the reprogramming.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

GUYS! I love Eric The Car Guy. I just found a video of him pulling out a computer on a TL.

What's interesting is that seeing this removed, I'm even more suspicious about floodwater causing the issue.
Starting to think more and more that it might be A/C leak....... if it truly is a PCM issue.

Last edited by Robert Paulson; 02-23-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Robert Paulson
I'm hoping that I can find my own part and install it so I can just tow the car to the dealership and have them reprogram it.
I've already spoken with the techs at the shop that diagnosed it, and that's basically what they'll do, just at a higher cost.
Just an FYI.
If the issue is, in fact, your 37820-RDA-A84 ECU, there are 18 in Tennesee alone on car-part.com ranging from $75 - $159.50.

Use search term 'Engine Computer' in the drop down menu for the 3.2L.

Last edited by zeta; 02-23-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zeta
Just an FYI.
If the issue is, in fact, your 37820-RDA-A84 ECU, there are 18 in Tennesee alone on car-part.com ranging from $75 - $159.50.

Use search term 'Engine Computer' in the drop down menu for the 3.2L.
I noticed, thought I might go ahead and order from a service like this.

Have you ordered before? I want to know if this is just Joe Schmoe selling off his junk lot
Old 02-23-2019, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Robert Paulson
I noticed, thought I might go ahead and order from a service like this.

Have you ordered before? I want to know if this is just Joe Schmoe selling off his junk lot
I used the service to identify local salvage yards once when my OEM radio died in my CLS6 and when I needed to find the two passenger side doors on my mothers car after she had a fight with a fire hydrant while making a right turn.

In both cases, I was able to find the closest salvage yard with the part(s) I needed. The radio was removed for me, from the car, by the yard personnel. The doors I had to remove myself. Saved big time $$ on both occasions; especially, on the doors because they were the same color as the car and did not need to have them painted.

A few tips to live by: Try and pick and go to a salvage yard in a 'good' area of town, if possible. Bring plenty of tools. Don't be afraid to haggle. Watch your back wherever you end up, sometimes there are questionable characters afoot, in those places, and I don't mean just the owners, lol.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
It would not be the water you drove thru unless it was hip deep inside the car, but it leaked from the rain onto the ecu
Old 03-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pohljm
It would not be the water you drove thru unless it was hip deep inside the car, but it leaked from the rain onto the ecu
I thought the same thing, but I've inspected pretty much everything in the car now...

The A/C lines were clear, so I ruled that out.
The carpet on the passenger side was damp, so I took out both front seats, dissasembled the center console and removed all the carpet (it was all damp and I needed it to dry out anyway).

All signs point to one of the drain holes in the floor and maybe a bit from the passenger door (more unlikely, but water was high enough for it to reach bottom of front door jamb).
there's nowhere in the firewall that looks like it could have let the water in, and the seals on all the glass are good.

Since the nose of the car points down slightly, it seems that the water came up from the floor and pooled in the front passenger side, just enough to reach the harnesses for the PCM.

Luckily I got an eBay part and found a buddy with a programmer.
Everything is good now!

Fixed for $75 (and a couple days of work)
Old 03-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

HELP! Issues after replacing PCM

Hey guys, so I've got an interesting issue....

I replaced my ECU/PCM and reprogrammed about a week ago since the car went through some high water causing the PCM to short out.

After replacing/reprogramming, I'm getting an issue where the VSA lights and CEL are on, throwing a P228 code (Barometric Pressure Sensor).
Additionally, cruise control doesn't seem to be working now. The "Cruise Main" light will show up saying that the cruise control is on, but it won't set/engage at speed.

Otherwise, the driveability doesn't seem affected. MPG and performance seem ok, too.
I've checked the air filter, doesn't seem like there is any blockage up to the throttle body, so I'm beginning to wonder if the PCM that was installed may be faulty.

Please let me know what you guys think.
I really want to get my car back to normal condition.

Thanks so much!
Old 03-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Merged your threads so theres some continuity..
Old 03-12-2019, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Merged your threads so theres some continuity..
Thanks @thoiboi thought about adding to the old one, but wanted to make sure it got some views