Headlight + Radio Noise + Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight + Radio Noise + Reverse Lights

Hi guys! I am fairly new to this forum and I was wondering if I can get some help. I recently bought a 04 Acura TL 6 speed manual and I've been having some trouble with it.

Headlights High beam

The headlight high beam doesn't seem to be as bright as it should be, it is barely brighter than the low beam. What type of bulb would I need to replace it with? (Part # 33116-SL0-003) I found this for $36 each.

Radio High pitch noise

When the car is running I get this high pitch noise coming from the speaker above the radio (on dashboard), but when it is in the Acc position the sound seems to be just fine, no noise coming out. The previous owner had a aftermarket subwoofer in the trunk, is it possible it could be faulty wires not properly plugged in? Some have been saying the Amplifier could be blown. The speakers seems to be kinda quiet when at full volume, I mean a 2008 toyota camry has louder speakers than my TL, could it be the Amplifiers fault? Where can I find OEM Amplifier for cheap, I wouldn't mind an aftermarket one (some suggestions please ), but if I can find a OEM one that is at a good price it would be better.

Reverse Lights

I noticed that the reverse light and probably the plate lights don't work (checked fuses, brake lights and night lights work just fine) (checked bulbs and they are fine). I looked up some potential problems and most people have been saying it is the Back light switch located on the transmission (Part# 28700-PWL-013). I don't know a lot about cars other than the basics, minor stuff like oil changes but I usually get around by looking up videos on youtube. Is it worth of getting into the trouble of doing it myself? Would it be expensive for a mechanic to replace the part?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by h22lude
Hi guys! I am fairly new to this forum and I was wondering if I can get some help. I recently bought a 04 Acura TL 6 speed manual and I've been having some trouble with it.

Headlights High beam

The headlight high beam doesn't seem to be as bright as it should be, it is barely brighter than the low beam. What type of bulb would I need to replace it with? (Part # 33116-SL0-003) I found this for $36 each.
On the TL the low beams and high beams is only 1 bulb and what makes it high or low is a little panel that is slightly infront of the bulb that moves out of the way when you switch it to high beams.

Face a wall and test it out. You'll see the cutoff line (top line) move out of the way.

The bulb type if you want to replace the bulb itself is D2S. If you search the forums for which one is the best, you'll see a lot of people praising CBI (also known as Osram Cool Blue Intense) as well as Phillips 85122XV (Phillips XtremeVision) and Morimoto XB35.

Radio High pitch noise

When the car is running I get this high pitch noise coming from the speaker above the radio (on dashboard), but when it is in the Acc position the sound seems to be just fine, no noise coming out. The previous owner had a aftermarket subwoofer in the trunk, is it possible it could be faulty wires not properly plugged in? Some have been saying the Amplifier could be blown. The speakers seems to be kinda quiet when at full volume, I mean a 2008 toyota camry has louder speakers than my TL, could it be the Amplifiers fault? Where can I find OEM Amplifier for cheap, I wouldn't mind an aftermarket one (some suggestions please ), but if I can find a OEM one that is at a good price it would be better.
How quiet is quiet? It's also possible the center speaker is going bad. It is a known problem with our cars.

Reverse Lights

I noticed that the reverse light and probably the plate lights don't work (checked fuses, brake lights and night lights work just fine) (checked bulbs and they are fine). I looked up some potential problems and most people have been saying it is the Back light switch located on the transmission (Part# 28700-PWL-013). I don't know a lot about cars other than the basics, minor stuff like oil changes but I usually get around by looking up videos on youtube. Is it worth of getting into the trouble of doing it myself? Would it be expensive for a mechanic to replace the part?

Thanks!
Make sure plate lights work or don't work. Plate lights should light up when you lock your car with the key fob and obviously have nothing to do with putting the car in reverse.
The following users liked this post:
h22lude (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
If you have the skills to do it you will save money. Find out what a dealer or mom and pop shop will charge to change it for you. Did you check to see if power is getting to the sockets for the reverse lights and plate lights? Might have corroded sockets?

There may be a wire that's grounding out to one of your speakers.
h22lude (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by polobunny
On the TL the low beams and high beams is only 1 bulb and what makes it high or low is a little panel that is slightly infront of the bulb that moves out of the way when you switch it to high beams.

Face a wall and test it out. You'll see the cutoff line (top line) move out of the way.

The bulb type if you want to replace the bulb itself is D2S. If you search the forums for which one is the best, you'll see a lot of people praising CBI (also known as Osram Cool Blue Intense) as well as Phillips 85122XV (Phillips XtremeVision) and Morimoto XB35.

How quiet is quiet? It's also possible the center speaker is going bad. It is a known problem with our cars.

Make sure plate lights work or don't work. Plate lights should light up when you lock your car with the key fob and obviously have nothing to do with putting the car in reverse.
Thanks for the help. If i turn the volume to 10+, I cant hear the noise anymore. It is weird that I don't hear the noise when the card isn't running, but as soon as i turn it on the noise comes back. Is it possible my speakers are going out as well, the volume at max on my prelude was louder than the TL is.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Registered Bunny

Thanks for the help. If i turn the volume to 10+, I cant hear the noise anymore. It is weird that I don't hear the noise when the card isn't running, but as soon as i turn it on the noise comes back. Is it possible my speakers are going out as well, the volume at max on my prelude was louder than the TL is.
I honestly cannot put the volume at the max during any long period of time without messing my ear drums. Heck, I thought the volume at 01 was surprisingly loud when you got kids in the backseat.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
If you have the skills to do it you will save money. Find out what a dealer or mom and pop shop will charge to change it for you. Did you check to see if power is getting to the sockets for the reverse lights and plate lights? Might have corroded sockets?

There may be a wire that's grounding out to one of your speakers.
Oh boy, I have no idea how to check if the power is getting to the sockets...
Old 01-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Cruisin'

I honestly cannot put the volume at the max during any long period of time without messing my ear drums. Heck, I thought the volume at 01 was surprisingly loud when you got kids in the backseat.
Lol, so now I am sure something is wrong with my speakers/amplifier.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Registered Bunny

Oh boy, I have no idea how to check if the power is getting to the sockets...
You'll need a multimeter. How did you test the bulbs?

As for the audio system in our TLs, I don't know nearly enough to help you troubleshoot it. Hopefully someone else chimes in to help on this aspect.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Cruisin'

I found this on ebay. Good deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAIR-2PCS-OSRAM-XENARC-D2S-66240-66040-ORIGINAL-4300K-OEM-HID-XENON-BULBS-/221630693536?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item339a3800a0&vxp=mtr
Old 01-07-2015, 05:40 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
Here is thread that may shed some light on the noise the stereo is making. I would check all wiring like said above, to see if anything looks out of place. I copied this statement below from another thread I posted in regarding low volume.......it fixed my problem.

"This website below fixed my amp, and were very helpful in describing what I was experiencing. I didn't have the buzzing noise, only low volume even when cranked. You could always call them and ask if they have any suggestions...if in fact it could be the amp.
It cost $125 to fix amp."

Carstereohelp.com

Other links.....

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...stereo-706739/

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...volume-922588/

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 01-07-2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added another link to fix amp.....
Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Registered Bunny

That's normal pricing for these bulbs. They're OEM like replacement. If you want to change the bulbs, also make sure the headlights themselves are pristine. Yellowed headlights or scratched headlights will greatly reduce your light output.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 767 Likes on 552 Posts
Don't buy bulbs from eBay. They are flooded with fakes.

Buy your bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc
thoiboi (01-09-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Don't buy bulbs from eBay. They are flooded with fakes.

Buy your bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc
If you look around for good sellers you should be able to find cheaper ones on eBay or Amazon. Just stay away from ones shipping from China I think.

I've just bought some Phillips X-tremeVision 9007 ($40 Amazon) and some Osram Night Breaker Unlimited H4 ($32 user metrodirectuk on eBay) for 2 people in the last week, eBay shipped from UK and both are in all points identical to ones available in store but heaps cheaper.

I'm not saying that to bring down TRS, I just bought some Morimoto XB35 from them. But they have to charge some some of premium that personal sellers like on eBay and Amazon might not have to charge if they want to stay open. If you want to make sure you get the good stuff and rather would not risk having a fake or having to hunt the internet for real ones then go ahead.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Why are you buying new bulbs?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jackass
Why are you buying new bulbs?
The High beam on my TL doesn't seem very bright, not that much of a difference between low beam and high beam, I'm gonna clean out the actual headlights as they do seem a little bit foggy and see how it looks from there.