Has there ever been a fix for vibration at high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Has there ever been a fix for vibration at high speed?

I've read pages and pages on the TL vibration issue but none seem to identify the real cause (other than the obvious tire balancing, alignment, warped rotters, etc).

Has anyone solved this issue where the whole car (not just steering wheel) starts vibrating at +75 mph?

Thanks,
MM
Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
The last time you posted it was warped rotors. That didn't fix the problem? You need to give us more specifics to your setup. What kind of wheels what kind of tire av hub centric spacers? Miles on your car? You've done a good amount of aftermarket mods to your car to contribute to the drivability and need to give us all the information so we don't have to dig it up ourselves :detective; to try to solve a problem
Old 07-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
The last time you posted it was warped rotors. That didn't fix the problem? You need to give us more specifics to your setup. What kind of wheels what kind of tire av hub centric spacers? Miles on your car? You've done a good amount of aftermarket mods to your car to contribute to the drivability and need to give us all the information so we don't have to dig it up ourselves :detective; to try to solve a problem
You have good memory!
My car is stock (07 w/ Navi) other than the skirt kit at 160,000 km on the odo.
Here's what i have tried to try to fix the vibration which occurs at 120 km/h and up:
- Balancing, rotation and alignment of wheels
- Changed the rim and tires (winter/summer)
- Removed the spacers
- Replaced the rotors, pads and calipers
- Also I've just completed the A-134 tune-up at Acura (timing belt, etc)

I do have broken engine mounts (side and forward one)... i know that could be the problem but i'm very suspicious it is...

Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Try your axles
Old 07-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
+1 for axles
Old 07-26-2016, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Normally axles cause a vibration under acceleration, but would suggest using a
Hunter Road Force wheel balancer. You can locate a Hunter in Canada by using the following:
http://www.hunter.com/gsp9700
Also, if using a dedicated balancer, I would have them turn the wheel 180 degrees and
rebalance to be certain that there isn't a problem with the balancer, or wheel center.

On our '04, the only way I was able to get the car perfect, and I mean perfect with no
vibration at all, was to use an adjustable flange plate with stud kit rather than the cone that
uses the wheel center hole.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (07-26-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also find that many shops and dealerships over tighten the lug nuts on the wheels and that can cause problems. When I measure the torque of my cars lug nuts after service I usually find them to be about 150 foot pounds, but I have found some as high as 200 foot pounds. Bent rims and uneven wear on tires are also a problem. I replaced my rims with the ebay base TL stock clone rims and I am very happy with them. Also I have found many tire places do not know how to properly use a Hunter road force balancer correctly, but when you do find a good service person, it does make a difference.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:17 AM
Racer

My axle is not leaking any grease or shows any signs of cracking, is there a way check if its bent somehow?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, TurboNut is right. It wouldn't be your axles unless it vibrates on acceleration, thats what you need to distnguish; if it vibrates at a high speed w/ your foot off the pedal.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 04 TL has the same vibration. All the research i have done points towards the Compliance Bushings in the front lower control arms. Evidently its a pretty common problem. Just a thought..
Old 06-28-2017, 07:43 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Items I have replaced: Both axles, intermediate axle, controller arms, upper and lower ball joints, 2 out of 3 engine mounts, and just did a fresh alignment.

The intermediate axle seems to have caused the most issues vibration because after changing that out it subsided a great deal...however, even after replacing all these items and doing the alignment the issue still remains. I can accelerate and feel vibrating..it noticeably moves my fingers...once I get up to 80 and hit the cruise control it will slowly go away and smooth out. It still has a minor vibration when this happens but its not as noticeable as when I am accelerating to get up to cruise control speed.

One of my tires did develop and uneven wear pattern due to the controller arms being so bad so I am wondering if my issue now lies in the tires. My plan is to have the tires balanced one more time but other than that and waiting for a new set of tires I don't really know what the next step is. Obviously, I need to get the 3rd motor mount replaced so I will plan for that and report back with my results.

Also, my local tire shop over tightened one of my wheels so bad they had to replace my hub. I'm wondering if the rest of my tires are also over tightened.

I do plan on changing out all my calipers and maybe even my rotors to help eliminate the cause. Interested in this Hunter Force Wheel balancer.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Only thing left for you are tires and rims. You can rotate your tires and see if the behavior changes.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Racer

Items I have replaced update: forgot to note that my lower control arm compliance bushings were also replaced (came as a kit with the control arms, tie rods). My next step is to take the car to firestone so we can get back to the basics. I think the tires need balanced again after the last rotation.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Slow down
Old 07-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Racer

found this info on a blog:

Acura TL Bushing Failure
I was given the opportunity to investigate a vibration issue with a 2005 Acura TL.

The problem: The car has a bad vibration between 55-75 mph.

Initial investigation: Found out that the car had recently had one of its wheels replace due to harsh road conditions. (which means it got bent haha) further more i found out that the wheels on the back were on the front and that those are also bent because of poor road conditions.

Basic Solution: Well that's easy enough, Replace the wheels and get an alignment. But........ there was more.......

More investigating: As i looked over the car after the test drive i notices something wrong with the front suspension. The Lower control arm compliance bushings had failed. (Fig1) It is a very noticeable fail. You can just turn the wheel to see the tear. Its not a good thing. This will in turn cause improper alignment, improper tire wear, and possible shimmy. The design is flawed. As i looked into this more i found that there has been a lot of the cases all of the country. Here is a link that explains more on the issue. acurazine TL bushing failure thread. A complete loss of this bushing with cause a clanking noise under heavy breaking, quick acceleration and turning. Not to be confused with a worn out CV (constant velocity) axle. That noise is a metallic clicking while making a hard turn, either left or right. It depends on which one is bad.

Solution: Remove and replace the lower control arm and replace the failed bushings. I recommend replacing all of the bushings while the part is out of the car. But if you can't afford that, just replace the fail item. Below i have set up links where you can buy the new bushing. The link has an exploded view diagram so you can identify the part and its location on the lower control arm. I feel like i have found the best place online and for the best price. Dealerdirectparts.com. Also see the picture below Fig#2, it has the lower control arm with the Bushings labeled.
1) http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/Pro...URA-57029-TL-4 The Front Lower Inner Front Suspension Control Arm Bushing, also known as the "Compliance" Bushing # 9 in the diagram. 2) http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/Pro...URA-57030-TL-4 The Front Lower Inner Rear Suspension Control Arm Bushing. #10 in the diagram 3) http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/200...57027-tl-4.htm The Front Lower Outer Suspension Control Arm Bushing. #11 in the diagram.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Duronn
Well, TurboNut is right. It wouldn't be your axles unless it vibrates on acceleration, thats what you need to distnguish; if it vibrates at a high speed w/ your foot off the pedal.

means ?????