Grinding after transmission 3x3 fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:48 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Dang IHC, you bought a new Giant Trance SX.. that's a serious trail bike. I rode a Giant Boulder for years, a good bike for commuting. Some sucka stole it.
Had a Giant Trance X3. Stolen as well.
The following users liked this post:
Majofo (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
Yes. But sitting in the garage doing that, was not enough to get the fluid circulated. At least, I got only minimal results from letting it idle in park and reverse and drive. I say that for 2 reasons. Because after idling for 45 minutes and dicking around with it, I (nervously) decided to drive it around the block since I was at least was able to get it to go into gear. Then it quickly began to shift better. And the other reason I say the fluid was not circulating "much" in the garage is because I did 2 swaps of fluid, 1 on monday evening and then 1 on tuesday evening, and both swaps, the oil was very very RED. Like it had not circulated. Now, could it be that my fluid is just super clean now because of all the swaps? Well, I can answer that like tomorrow after I do 1 more swap with DW-1. Since it is shifting better now, and I drove it, I know the fluid has now circulated. So,next time if it comes out Red, then yes I just have super clean fluid. But if it comes out dark.. That means the swaps I did with dexron on Monday and Tuesday did not get fully circulated!! See?

It would be nice if I have just really clean fluid, and its all red from so many swaps, but something tells me as red as it was on monday and tuesday, it simply wasn't getting circulated.
Do you not listen to anything? The entire contents of the sump and torque converter are completely circulated in under 1 minute at idle in park. If your fluid is not circulating you have bigger issues. Maybe that grinding was your pump. If everything was in working order your fluid mixed, doing a round trip from the sump to the pump to the converter and valve body, through the cooler, lube, and returned to the pan at least 45 times in the 45 minutes you were idling. The only fluid not circulated is less than 1/2 quart that's left in the non energized hydraulic circuits. This is why shifting it to second gear while sitting still will get new fluid into the second gear circuit. As I mentioned earlier, there is no physical shifting of gears in an auto, all you have to do is energize the circuit to get fresh fluid to each gear. Now to bathe each set of clutches in fresh fluid you usually have to drive it.

You still have not answered my question. Did you check the fluid with the engine running or with it off? Weren't you having random transmission problems a year or more ago?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Drifting

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Drain, and refill with Dw1 -
Leave that redline stuff alone.

Best advice..
Old 05-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Team Owner

ADMIN you can close this thread if you want. issue solved. Thanks for the feedback Turbonut and others who identified Racing fluid as the likely problem and that others have had the issue too, like me.

I just got back from driving around, and no problems whatsoever. Its not even knocking when putting it into Park. And teeth stopped grinding as I past from drive through reverse into Park. And the whirling noise is totally gone! It is shifting perfectly, and it might even be better now! This car has not had new OEM fluid since it was Born! I think even the "double bump" is gone. I'll post about that later.

thanks!.
Nice. The usual Chad trolling thread. I knew you were trolling, I never should have responded. This was your end game as soon as you created this thread. You were never interested in getting to the root cause, you created a story full of inconsistencies to arrive at your so called conclusion. I can't wait for the inevitable "My transmission is dead" thread. I will be laughing.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Team Owner

Dang IHC, you bought a new Giant Trance SX.. that's a serious trail bike. I rode a Giant Boulder for years, a good bike for commuting. Some sucka stole it.
Yep. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve. I get it in 9-10 days. Already have a SRAM 1x11 drivetrain upgrade ordered as well. I can't wait for this thing to come in. It's too much bike for me but hopefully I'll grow into it one day. I plan to get a second set of time and tires and disks for commuting as well.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Had a Giant Trance X3. Stolen as well.
I bet it's the northerner's like Josh, riding around in his van, just waiting to take our democratic bikes away.

No I don't think I will. Thanks anyway.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Nice. The usual Chad trolling thread. I knew you were trolling, I never should have responded. This was your end game as soon as you created this thread. You were never interested in getting to the root cause, you created a story full of inconsistencies to arrive at your so called conclusion. I can't wait for the inevitable "My transmission is dead" thread. I will be laughing.
That would be pretty sad and pathetic if that's the case. If there's any truth to the posts, it's only a matter of time. I doubt he'll post such thread.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Yep. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve. I get it in 9-10 days. Already have a SRAM 1x11 drivetrain upgrade ordered as well. I can't wait for this thing to come in. It's too much bike for me but hopefully I'll grow into it one day. I plan to get a second set of time and tires and disks for commuting as well.
Wow.. that's awesome.. be safe, too many crazies out there.

And we don't heal as fast as we used to..
Old 05-24-2014, 05:23 PM

btw.. Justn's buddy found a primo GN hiding out in a barn for the past +20 years. Looks brand new. He posted a thread with some great pics:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15021963
Old 05-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Team Owner

I bet it's the northerner's like Josh, riding around in his van, just waiting to take our democratic bikes away.

That would be pretty sad and pathetic if that's the case. If there's any truth to the posts, it's only a matter of time. I doubt he'll post such thread.

Wow.. that's awesome.. be safe, too many crazies out there.

And we don't heal as fast as we used to..
That's the truth. What used to be a little bruise that you ignored now keeps you down for a couple weeks. I primarily got the full suspension for performance but to be honest it's also because I'm getting older and I'm tired of going to work and sitting down for hours on end with an aching back. On my other 4" full suspension that I rarely ride, I've noticed I ride much longer, farther, and faster without realizing it. I don't feel so beat up at the end of a ride. I'm looking forward to having 6" of travel for sure, especially st 230lbs. It might actually be somewhat comfortable.

That sucks you guys got your bikes stolen. I've been looking into locks and insurance on the bike. It retails for $4050 but I got it for $3200 before tax. However, I have a SRAM XX1 complete drivetrain on the way which was about $1k. I'm keeping my hardtail because I know I'll be too afraid to ride this one to the beach or anywhere for that matter unattended.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Team Owner

btw.. Justn's buddy found a primo GN hiding out in a barn for the past +20 years. Looks brand new. He posted a thread with some great pics:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15021963
That's soooo not fair lol. I've been actively looking for another one for a month. I did find one for $15k with 20k on it that ran bottom 12s. It sold in a day. If only I had looked a day earlier. I do have one on the hook right now. It's certified to 7.50s. Runs 9.0 on pump gas and street tire and made 2,600hp fully dialed up. It's registered and is driven on the street. It's kind if funny to see the parachute mount on a car driving down the street. Be wants $30k for it which isnt bad at all but I don't know if I could spend that kind of money on a toy and not end up single and broke.

I hope Justins friend knows that those cars can go from mid to high 13s to 11s with very little money invested. Even 12s are doable for about $200 not counting tires.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:59 AM

That's incredible.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

That's incredible.
What's incredible is I'm considering selling my reliable daily driver for a 9 second toy and driving it the 1.5 miles to work everyday. It's incredibly stupid but I think at 37 I'm entitled to my first mid life crisis.
The following users liked this post:
Jackass (05-26-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 12:52 PM

Why not..

As long as the boss says it's okay..
Old 05-27-2014, 01:15 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
Before you close this thread I want to say that I can relate to your same problem. So don't feel it was just your car, the same happened to me. And yes there is a way around it. I know people are telling you not to blame the fluid. No doubt they mean well and know a lot.

I have a lengthy tranny thread in case you haven't seen it, the details of my story are there. My grind into park is EXACTLY as you described it. The colder it was, the more likely it would happen. I also got a 3rd gear slip. The difference in my case was that it didn't happen when the tranny is hot, usually when the car warmed up it was less likely to happen. These problems surfaced only once I switched to Redline D4, there were no problems before that. Consensus is that my tranny is also on it's way out. I am not disagreeing, but how is it that we are almost into June and my car is running? Things didn't get worse but actually better purely because I put some LubeGard in there. I have a bit of racing fluid mixed in too. No grind, zero slip, no hesitation. Just a bit of flare but otherwise the car is totally running beautifully now. I also really feel like just forgoing the Redline stuff in the future. Next time I think I'm just going to stick with DW-1 and get the Redline stuff out. If you continue to have problems, I would suggest LubeGard, the stuff works.

So while there may be some tranny damage as others are saying, OK accepted. But the fluid mix you choose makes a day and night difference.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 05-27-2014 at 01:23 PM.