Frustrated-'04 TL 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:35 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustrated-'04 TL 6MT

So last year i bought a 04 TL 6speed m/t found it on craigslist for $5k 148k miles i immediately jump on it and bought it Knowing that i was gonna invest on the car. Ended up changing the clutch kit, rear end suspension links etc.
Started making the car my own buying roof spoilers,oem visors, types rims, 07 signal mirrors, drilled rotors.

Limp Mode OR P2135 is my archenemy been dealing with it since the summer always lurking around the site for help end it up changing the APP went away for 2 weeks still dealing with this issue.
P0171 or a wish of death is my other headache CEL always gives me all the cylinders misfire for this i changed all the plugs, checked coils, even cleaned out the engine end it up buying an EGR from the dealer and this problem still exists.

Love all acura cars ive had 2 94-96 integras, 02 rsx, 05 tsx m/t and after finally having the car ive always wanted cant really enjoy it. Im frustrated really considering selling or trading for anything automatic
Old 12-24-2014, 02:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Was the 105K service done? Have the valves been adjusted/checked? If they haven't been done, this could be very likely the cause of the misfires.

As far as the APP sensor, did you try cleaning out the throttle body plate (remove and clean it)?

Also was the car over-revved at any point? This is always a standard question to ask with 6MT because it's possible to mis-shift and have the valves touch the pistons and cause damage.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:26 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
here's the honest truth.

you bought a 6 speed for $5k.

some one damaged the engine and let it go for cheap.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
1black_seven (12-24-2014), d1sturb3d119 (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
here's the honest truth.

you bought a 6 speed for $5k.

some one damaged the engine and let it go for cheap.
Said what I was thinking. $5K for 6 speed... car wasn't cared for. AT TLs go for more than that...
Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by polobunny
Said what I was thinking. $5K for 6 speed... car wasn't cared for. AT TLs go for more than that...
no, it may have been cared for.
it's just that the engine is blown.

because of a mis-shift.

if you re-call, my friend mis-shifted in my car and blew the engine.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Registered Bunny

because of a mis-shift.

Over-revving your engine isn't what I call cared for. I don't even go close to VTEC

<3
Old 12-24-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by polobunny
Over-revving your engine isn't what I call cared for. I don't even go close to VTEC

<3
it's a mistake.

it's not like some one intentionally does it.

same thing when getting into a car accident.
you dont wake up with the intention of getting into one.

<3
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
polobunny (12-24-2014), robocam (12-27-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
a costly mistake for crabman, but OP he is right about the code check the engine compression and do a leak test to see if its has bent valve.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

because of a mis-shift.

My and your definition of 'blew the engine' are drastically different I'd say. Did he bend some valves? Sure. Blow the engine? Eh, not so much. The fact that you merely did a head swap indicates that the engine was not blown in my eyes.

Are you diagnosing his issue as a blown motor merely on the basis of a misfire detected on all cylinders? Could that not simply be a symptom of the car running too lean via the P0171 code? Also, if the P2135 occurs, and puts the car in limp mode, does that override all other operational sensors, or not? If not, then the could be causing the P0171 and the misfire codes, right?

OP, when you replaced the APP and said that fixed it for a while, did the car run without issues and have normal performance, or did it still run bad and throw the 171 code?

There's a few mechanical things that can cause the 171 as well - intake manifold leak and misadjusted valves come to mind. Granted, your motor could be toast, but that would not be my first thought.

I would suggest leaving the price you paid for the vehicle out of future posts. For some reason, there is a thought on this forum that these are massively valuable vehicles still and not 10 year old pretty accords. I think you got a good deal on the car, especially depending on the interior and exterior condition.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:59 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
Was the 105K service done? Have the valves been adjusted/checked? If they haven't been done, this could be very likely the cause of the misfires.

As far as the APP sensor, did you try cleaning out the throttle body plate (remove and clean it)?

Also was the car over-revved at any point? This is always a standard question to ask with 6MT because it's possible to mis-shift and have the valves touch the pistons and cause damage.
Im the third owner so not knowing if it was done i did the service on a local shop, so recently i met with a fellow tl owner and he told me about the valves haven't tackled that yet.

Yes the throttle was taken off looked at also replaced forgot to mention bought from the dealer the problem went away for 1 week and came back up. The car revs up everyday and it does causes the mis- shifts, also first gear is kinda hard to clutch. How serious is this, is it gonna be a tranny problem?

Appreciate all the info
Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by screaminz28
My and your definition of 'blew the engine' are drastically different I'd say. Did he bend some valves? Sure. Blow the engine? Eh, not so much. The fact that you merely did a head swap indicates that the engine was not blown in my eyes.

Are you diagnosing his issue as a blown motor merely on the basis of a misfire detected on all cylinders? Could that not simply be a symptom of the car running too lean via the P0171 code? Also, if the P2135 occurs, and puts the car in limp mode, does that override all other operational sensors, or not? If not, then the could be causing the P0171 and the misfire codes, right?

OP, when you replaced the APP and said that fixed it for a while, did the car run without issues and have normal performance, or did it still run bad and throw the 171 code?

There's a few mechanical things that can cause the 171 as well - intake manifold leak and misadjusted valves come to mind. Granted, your motor could be toast, but that would not be my first thought.

I would suggest leaving the price you paid for the vehicle out of future posts. For some reason, there is a thought on this forum that these are massively valuable vehicles still and not 10 year old pretty accords. I think you got a good deal on the car, especially depending on the interior and exterior condition.
After the App was replaced the car was hesitant to accelerate it almost felt like an tranny problem, ran relatively well for a week and same issues came back... The car wasnt in the best shape it needs a paint job, interior is 7/10.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
He speaks the truth =) I was accelerating onto a highway and accidentally shifted into 1st instead of 3rd. Had to have all the exhaust valves in one head replaced. I bought stiffer valve springs to prevent those valves from floating again (why didn't Acura do this in the first place???).

Take it to the dealer. They can tell what maximum RPM your engine has reached. Mine knew exactly what was wrong as soon as the tech got it on the computer. He could even see which cylinders were misfiring (only 1 head needed work).

it's a mistake.

it's not like some one intentionally does it.

same thing when getting into a car accident.
you dont wake up with the intention of getting into one.

<3
Old 12-28-2014, 06:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by robocam
He speaks the truth =) I was accelerating onto a highway and accidentally shifted into 1st instead of 3rd. Had to have all the exhaust valves in one head replaced. I bought stiffer valve springs to prevent those valves from floating again (why didn't Acura do this in the first place???).

Take it to the dealer. They can tell what maximum RPM your engine has reached. Mine knew exactly what was wrong as soon as the tech got it on the computer. He could even see which cylinders were misfiring (only 1 head needed work).

do these transmissions have a lock out feature to prevent a driver from accidently downshifting into first gear?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 767 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
do these transmissions have a lock out feature to prevent a driver from accidently downshifting into first gear?
Based on what robocam just said I would assume no lol
The following users liked this post:
robocam (12-29-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Generally the only time a physical lockout is used is when the shift pattern could cause confusion. Typically 5spd's don't have a reverse lockout, since you shouldn't ever need to push the shifter right and down aside from reverse. With 6spds they do it so its easier to get into 6th without worrying about grinding reverse.

But a 1st gear lockout on a 10 year old car? I'm not sure if new cars come with that, it's really not that important. The syncros will fight you from accidentally putting it into too low of a gear, its only a problem when you're jamming the trans into gears and not paying attention. For the casual driver, especially on a car with a few miles on it and likely a well worn 1st gear synco, its going to be really hard to push it into 1st at high speed. Generally it can even be hard to get into 1st at low speeds when the gear is within the range of the engine since almost nobody double clutches down shifts and just forces the thing into gears.

The only time I was concerned about asking for the wrong gear was in a car with a screwed up trans that was really hard to move the shifter and had a terribly gritty feel. You could take the shifter out of any gear and it would not return to center, you had to force it every shift at every speed. It was really hard to tell what gear it was in, even looking at the shifter.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by screaminz28
For the sake of the OP being a noob, I chose the words "blown engine"

Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Registered Bunny

On the 6MT TL there's only reverse lock, nothing else, according to the service manual.
The following users liked this post:
sweeT n Lo (08-25-2019)