First problem with my 07 tl

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
First problem with my 07 tl

Hello to all,
Today I went out to pick lunch up for the family and I. When I got back in the car after picking up lunch I noticed the check engine light was on in the D light was blinking. The car has 108,000 miles on it and it's an 07 TL. while I was on my way home of course everything bad run through your mind. Having seen the blinking d I knew that it had to be some kind of electrical switch, Or at least that was my thought,and still is my thought. So as this is occurring I am now in hypersensitive mode and listening to every sound the car is making and feeling every shift point. The car is driving fine, it is shifting fine with no jerking. As I'm sure you've all figured out by now, this is an automatic, not a six speed and not a type S. The transmission fluid is full, it does not smell burnt and is clean in color. It is due for the 30,000 mile fluid service at 109,000. I will do that myself as it is easy. Anyhow, when I arrived home I put the car on my scanner. The trouble code that came up was P1717. From my research I found that this is probably A transmission range selector switch. I also found that it is behind the driver side front wheel and does not look hard to replace. I will probably DIY the job as I am more than capable. My only concern is the time that it will take his life is busy. Not just for me but for all of us. My question is how hard is the job how long should it take and how much is the part. Is this the part that I can get from AutoZone, as I just can't make it to the dealer today. I have cleared the code and restarted the car, the check engine light has not come back on. However, I have not had a chance to drive the car yet. Any help with this is greatly appreciated and as always, thanks in advance. The quote of the day.

The quote of the day. Winston Churchhill said "my most brilliant achievement was being able to persuade my wife to marry me."

Last edited by svtmedic; 09-20-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...2006-a-729149/
Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmedic
Is this the part that I can get from AutoZone, as I just can't make it to the dealer today.
if you're talking about the 3rd and 4th pressure switches, than no you cant get that at Autozone, its a dealer specific part you can only get from Acura or online
replacing the switches are extremely easy, if you have 30 minutes to set a side that should be enough time if you've done simple diy stuff before
Old 09-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
Guys, I think he meant transmission range switch, not pressure switches.
Also, link provided is for 2004-2006 cars, he has 2007 and it will be slightly different.
There is separate thread for replacing pressure switches on 2007-2008 cars.

Ok, let's fix it !

So you know what might be the problem.

If you happened to have HDS or know somebody that has it, you can test it:

Spoiler

There is also "manual" test. Mainly to test transmission switch inside the car (lever) and wires leading to range switch in the transmission.
I would say it won't hurt to do it.

Now, if you decide to replace switch:
Spoiler

It's worth to quote service manual on one thing :
"This code is caused by an electrical circuit problem and cannot be caused by a mechanical problem in the transmission"
so does it mean that range switch itself shouldn't be a problem ?

Good luck and let others speak, as I just found couple pages. I have no idea about transmissions. Can help diagnose electronic stuff tho

Send me PM if you want service manual for 2007-2008 cars. That stuff is amazing.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Transmission range switch is on the way out, replace it its 20 mins replacement with $115 part.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Just the update to problem.
Cleared code, car is running great and the problem has not returned as of yet. Drove to dinner last night with no problems, drove to work and back home today with no issues. I do agree The switch is probably on its way out. So going to order part and will also do the drain and fill as it is just about due. Not doing pressure switches as the car shifts great. Not replacing parts that are not broken. I have heard some people have had this problem and cleared code and have not had the problem return. Heard that this was a known problem, can anyone comment further if this is true.

Last edited by svtmedic; 09-21-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:03 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is your car now? Did you do the replacement? I have 07 TL, and about 102,000 miles. I had the same problem same code P1717 comes out (two months ago). I cleared the code then, and it drived fine for about 1 month. However, the code came out and drive D light blinking again after 1 month (about 2 weeks ago). This time I am going to replace the transmission range switch since the problem is repeated and make me confused.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Instructor

This happened to me. Cleared code, came back about 2 weeks later. Cleared it again and has not ever been back again.