Window rolling up off track - just replaced window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Window rolling up off track - just replaced window regulator

Help! I've scoured the threads and I apologize but I'm not seeing a specific thread for my issue. Quick summary: Last week, I was rolling my drivers side window down, and I heard a snap and the window wouldn't roll up and I could hear motor running. Needless to say after researching the internet, I realized the windows regulator probably broke. I purchased an after market windows regulator off fleabay, and it just came in. With the help of my father, and watching youtube videos and the helpful threads here, we successfully removed the door panel, took out the out snapped regulator and installed the new one. Everything seemed to be going smoothly and the window went up and down once we connected it to the door to get power. However, few things we noticed:

1.) the window went up and down slowly, not at the normal speed of the other windows

2.) as the window neared the top it came out of the rubber grove so that the actual glass was on top of the door, and as it was going up, it gave a slightly rocking motion.

We have checked and everything is screwed on tight, so were not sure how the window is rocking, and why it is coming out. The window sits nicely in the front groove, and everything appears snug. I've also made sure the window is pushed as far as it can in the groove just to see if it is out of place when we lock it, and it still occurs. Basically, we were wondering if there is any alignment procedure we need to do? Every thread on this process seems like you replace the regulator and the window should slide up and down nicely. We will try spraying silicon on the new regulator this weekend to see if needs that. Also, I wasn't sure if there was any reset procedure either we need to do. I did think of taking off the side passenger panel to get a look at how one looks and compare them and see if anything is different. As far as the window going up slowly, I have no idea on that one, except perhaps lube up all the parts.

I do realize this is a fleabay replacement piece, so that could be the issue as well lol, but was just double checking with the pros here if I was missing anything. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Year, make and model of car?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:12 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ttribe
Year, make and model of car?
Sorry about that, it's a 2008 Acura TL
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
If the glass is rocking .. it's not secured / aligned properly to the window regulator itself.

This DIY is for a 2005 Accord, but I'd imagine the procedure is almost identical.

The 3G subforum would probably be of more help.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM

MODERATOR NOTE: Moved to model specific forum.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TylerT
If the glass is rocking .. it's not secured / aligned properly to the window regulator itself.

This DIY is for a 2005 Accord, but I'd imagine the procedure is almost identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDjVcHy68T0

The 3G subforum would probably be of more help.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply and video! After watching that, it is pretty much identical, and also what we did lol. We sure think ours is aligned, but it still rocks ever so slightly and as it nears the top it comes out of the track. I did notice that in the holes were the window screws onto the regulator the holes are actually oval shape, so you can move the bolt to the left or right for a tiny bit of alignment. It was night time when we were working on it, so I think when we dive back in this weekend we will see if maybe something isn't lined up.

Do you have a link for the 3G subforum? Thanks!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by jusdrewit
Thanks for the reply and video! After watching that, it is pretty much identical, and also what we did lol. We sure think ours is aligned, but it still rocks ever so slightly and as it nears the top it comes out of the track. I did notice that in the holes were the window screws onto the regulator the holes are actually oval shape, so you can move the bolt to the left or right for a tiny bit of alignment. It was night time when we were working on it, so I think when we dive back in this weekend we will see if maybe something isn't lined up.

Do you have a link for the 3G subforum? Thanks!
Already moved your thread to the 3G subforum...so, you're in it.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
If it's aligned, it wouldn't rock off the track, go back and check your work.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
+1
you're going to have to tear that down. I can take a door off in under 5 mins now.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 AM
6th Gear

Thanks everyone, we double checked our work and it was correct but still bumpy. Once we sprayed the silicon lube however, that was the trick and the window rolled smoothly.