Finally fixed a problem with TL being sluggish and no low end power

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Finally fixed a problem with TL being sluggish and no low end power

I had a problem with my TL where it would have a hard time picking up speed on highway and it felt very sluggish. After I replaced the battery with a die heard platinum, the surging was gone but my TL always felt low on power and at the bottom end especially. When it was colder it would help but it wouldn't cure the problem. It always felt like something is just not right with it. After replacing many sensors with little to no difference... the check engine finally came on while coming home from a long trip. After i scanned it and found out it was the upstream oxygen sensor in bank 2 i had some hope left . So i went ahead and replaced both of them, leaving out the downstream as is, because i didn't think they would impact the AFR and to my surprise the TL finally picks up speed as one would think it should. My gas milage is around 18 around town but used to be no more then 14. I guess the O2 was lazy all the time. Its such a blast to drive again.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny that you said that today, I have had a problem with my cars acceleration. I thought it was my clutch going out again. I will have to give this a look.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I'm glad you mention this, I've felt for some time this was an issue with mine. Since the battery replacement it's been a lot better but there seems to be an "optimum" temp and anything below that it feels like its running lean. Above that its low on the low end but not so obviously lean. It still surged just a little on race gas as if it were lean. I've been meaning to replace the 02 sensors for a long time, now might be the time. My pistons were the cleanest I've ever seen of any car at this mileage which can also be caused partially by a lean condition. Thanks for the post.

Btw, I think we are the only two people that would get excited to finally see a check engine light.

One more thing, my car was just recently smogged and it had zero hydrocarbons but higher than normal NOx, an indication it's running lean. Luckily I had this car smogged when it was almost brand new and comparing the two, it was always very low on hydrocarbons but this time at 113,000 miles it has less hydrocarbons and more NOx.

Last edited by I hate cars; 03-10-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^^^
You should have seen the smile on my face when the check engine light popped!
The gas milage dropped very shortly after that but the car felt much more eager to accelerate. I just couldnt wait to get home to find out what it was. And so I did and thankfully I am happy to report that it is finally fixed. I was never this sure.

I was going to pm you but the inbox was full, hopefully you can report the same results.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:10 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
can you clean them with sea foam?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 AM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
nice find, my car is starting feel the same but it may be due to other additions to the car.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
^^^^^
You should have seen the smile on my face when the check engine light popped!
The gas milage dropped very shortly after that but the car felt much more eager to accelerate. I just couldnt wait to get home to find out what it was. And so I did and thankfully I am happy to report that it is finally fixed. I was never this sure.

I was going to pm you but the inbox was full, hopefully you can report the same results.
That's awsome. Guess what I' doing tomorrow... The battery at first was great and it's still pretty good. But after driving it around for a long time and getting over the initial improvement, some of the old problems were noticeable again, just not as bad as before. I can't wait to try this, it's something I've meant to do for a long time. Did you go with Denso?

Originally Posted by cleptosis
can you clean them with sea foam?
Absolutely not. Seafoam should not be used for anything in a TL.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

I went with OEM from acuraoemparts.com, just to be sure.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Hey man I'm glad you got your power back. As u might remember from my
thread I'm also lacking that low end. My 4cyl integra feels more alive then my tl. I was considering changing the 02 sensors even though I don't have a check engine light.
Figure they will need replacing soon anyway, so worth a shot since it fixed your problem. my biggest concern is the gas mileage as Im also getting 13-14 around the city where it should be around 18-19mpg.
anyways thanks for reporting
Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn, this sounds like a real solution to the sluggish acceleration problems. I thought it might've been because I changed out my app sensor, but coincidentally I also as well changed out the battery.

Going to try this. Did you use OEM o2? More than likely since aftermarket o2's aren't really that good.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
I had a problem with my TL where it would have a hard time picking up speed on highway and it felt very sluggish. After I replaced the battery with a die heard platinum, the surging was gone but my TL always felt low on power and at the bottom end especially. When it was colder it would help but it wouldn't cure the problem. It always felt like something is just not right with it. After replacing many sensors with little to no difference... the check engine finally came on while coming home from a long trip. After i scanned it and found out it was the upstream oxygen sensor in bank 2 i had some hope left . So i went ahead and replaced both of them, leaving out the downstream as is, because i didn't think they would impact the AFR and to my surprise the TL finally picks up speed as one would think it should. My gas milage is around 18 around town but used to be no more then 14. I guess the O2 was lazy all the time. Its such a blast to drive again.
have a 2005 Acura RL 165k miles that I've had for about a year now, lately I have been noticing that the acceleration is very sluggish. The car accelerates nowhere near as fast as it used to I have replaced plugs with no luck. Do you think this could be its problem? Also how long did it take your light to come on? I don't have any CEL
Old 08-04-2017, 09:07 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by JayRL
have a 2005 Acura RL 165k miles that I've had for about a year now, lately I have been noticing that the acceleration is very sluggish. The car accelerates nowhere near as fast as it used to I have replaced plugs with no luck. Do you think this could be its problem? Also how long did it take your light to come on? I don't have any CEL
Could be from a number of things. Had a fuel injection cleaning lately? When did you last replace the air filter?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm my acura is also low on power. However throwing rich codes both banks, long term going -16%. I just bought it like this, however no o2 faults.... checked everything else though, fuel pressure, new plugs, adjusted the valves (exhaust were TIGHT) but yeah to no avail. sometimes it does pull half decent, but like 80% of the time its like its falling on it's face.