Factory car alarm randomly going off

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Factory car alarm randomly going off

so my alarm goes off randomly(went off twice within 30mins)...i'm not sure why.
everything seems fine, i can lock and unlock, all the lights work
never touched anything electrical really... battery going bad?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
do all your door locks work? the alarm can go off randomly if one of the door lock actuators is not working properly (common problem)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

yes, all the locks work

i tested the battery and it was good. cleaned terminals up a bit...hasn't went off since
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

bump...alarm going off again

every 15mins after armed

Last edited by con5tant; 04-29-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

just remembered that sometimes my "drivers side door open" pops up on the MID when driving. i have replaced the door sensor but sometimes (rarely) it still goes off when driving. wtf?

when i twist the little knobby thing (the circular part on the door that makes contact with the sensor) and make it tighter the light doesn't ever come back on for a while (i did not replace this part).

could this be part of the problem? and if so wtf?! i changed the door sensor, what else do i need to change to make it stop popping up
Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

........!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^this exact same thing happened to me and i replaced the battery and it hasn't happend since. it's been well over a year.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

was your battery good?
should i just replace it? i had my OEM battery tested at Autozone and they said it was good.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its an old alarm it could actually be the computer.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Burning Brakes

i think i might have figured it out...not sure, only time will tell

i noticed that this started happening the night i installed my 35w HID fog lights. they did NOT come with a harness so i had to connect them to the stock harness. anyway, after i installed the fogs i couldn't get both bulbs to come on at the same time (i needed a relay harness; so i ordered one). they were not getting enough voltage. when i started the car and let it sit for about 5mins then both would come on.

6 days later alarm starts going off again. started car and sat for like 5-10mins and armed the alarm. few hours go by and it starts going off again. i had to pop the hood to prevent it from arming.

then today it started going off again. i drove the car for about 30mins and it sat for about 3 1/2 hours before it started chaos in the parking lot.

when i got home i installed the relay harness and disconnected everything from the stock harness (finished about 20 mins ago). this is when i noticed the HIDs were connected directly to the car horn.
so.. guess we'll see.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

ok, nevermind the fog light thing didn't fix shit

went off again 5 mins ago

put in a brand new Duralast gold battery just now tho
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^i bet the battery solves your problem.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
It's your driver side door pin that is bad. I went thru this. The door the show that it's open when it's closed on your MID that's the bad door pin. Reason why it goes off is because the alarm is armed and the car is showing the door is being open while it's locked so that's why your alarm goes off.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

I think SharksBreath may be right on this one. The alarm hasn't gone off since I put the new battery in. I'm going to take the OEM battery back to Autozone and get it tested again.

I thought it could be the door sensor too but that didn't really make any sense since the car was able to arm and sit for a while then go off. How would it fail if it wasn't moving? I had already replaced the door sensor anyway. I'm not exactly sure why it still goes off but it very rarely does. And only if the car is moving faster than 20 mph. I think it might have to do with the vibrations or something. Because I noticed that if re-adjust/ tighten the door stopper it won't go off again for a while.

Also, going back and thinking about the whole fog light harness thing... That didn't make any real sense either. Lol. I guess I was desperate in trying to find a solution

Last edited by con5tant; 05-01-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by con5tant
I think SharksBreath may be right on this one. The alarm hasn't gone off since I put the new battery in. I'm going to take the OEM battery back to Autozone and get it tested again.

I thought it could be the door sensor too but that didn't really make any sense since the car was able to arm and sit for a while then go off. How would it fail if it wasn't moving? I had already replaced the door sensor anyway. I'm not exactly sure why it still goes off but it very rarely does. And only if the car is moving faster than 20 mph. I think it might have to do with the vibrations or something. Because I noticed that if re-adjust/ tighten the door stopper it won't go off again for a while.

Also, going back and thinking about the whole fog light harness thing... That didn't make any real sense either. Lol. I guess I was desperate in trying to find a solution

I had a battery tested good at autozone. Employee or Tech tested the alternator, and the battery underlies, came up fine.

I went to pep boys, pulled the battery out. Failed thd test. Out of 400Ca the battery only had 114CA left of charge capacity.

Got an Interstate. Megatron plus. Best batteries I put in my cars, I always sell my cars before this interstate goes bad.
4th interstate. I have owned.

The duralast should be fine as well.
I actually thought it was your door pin slso.

With your interior lights on, passenger door open. Can you press the pin in? Does the interior lights shut off?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
to fix the door problem, adjust the door striker (metal loop) in a little. that should fix that problem. to test it out, sit in the car with it on with door shut and push on the door and see if the light comes on.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Burning Brakes

alarm started going off again. really really starting to hate this car now.

Originally Posted by MyFreakGSR
to fix the door problem, adjust the door striker (metal loop) in a little. that should fix that problem. to test it out, sit in the car with it on with door shut and push on the door and see if the light comes on.
how do you adjust the door striker? i think it does have something to with one of the doors (i'm guessing the drivers side door because sometimes the MID will show it as open when i'm driving for a split second). when i pressed panic the interior lights do not come on but when i stood there and waited for the alarm to go off the interior lights came on.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:04 AM
Burning Brakes

nevermind i figured out how to adjust it but now i need to buy something that will get those screws loose...they be tight as fuuuuuuuu
Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine has started doing the same thing! Went off at 4:30am today.. My key fob wouldn't shut my alarm off right away.. I had to keep pressing it and finally it shut off. Please tell me if that fixed your problem. And does the alarm turn off right away once you hit disarm?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Raresi99
Mine has started doing the same thing! Went off at 4:30am today.. My key fob wouldn't shut my alarm off right away.. I had to keep pressing it and finally it shut off. Please tell me if that fixed your problem. And does the alarm turn off right away once you hit disarm?
check the batteries in your remote.
mine always shut off as soon as i disarmed it (if i was in range of course)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

so far in my research on this problem i've found that it's either one of these three:

- car battery going bad
- door striker or sensor
- remote battery going bad
Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Burning Brakes

alarm went off again
about ready to sell this car
Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 AM
Burning Brakes

i'm like 90% sure it's the drivers door

i was wondering if anyone knew the answers to these questions:
- how far/tight is the little door stub thing (located on the bottom of the door; makes contact with the sensor) suppose to be? i looked at the passenger side and it wasn't on super tight so i tried to put the drivers side at the same tightness.
- what is the torque spec on the two screws on the striker?
- how do i know if i've gone too far in (with the striker)?

i can't think of anything else on the door that could be looked at (already changed door sensor but not the door stub)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Burning Brakes

430 am alarm going off... awesome

I think I put a dent in my front bumper with my foot

Fuck this car

Bump for answers
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Yup, it's about that time again!!
Will post in here everytime this pos cars alarm goes off.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

if the hood is open is it suppose to show up on the MID?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Burning Brakes

bump
so the dealer won't even hook up their HDS to diagnose it without wanting to charge me a diagnostic fee of $190....sooo i said fuck you and purchased my own HDS
hopefully it detects...

Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright, so I've been having the same issue now for WELL over a year. I've tried just about all of the above and really haven't had much luck. Its probably like the most embarassing/annoying/aggrevating thing in the entire world when your alarm goes off in the middle of the night almost every night. What I started to do in order for the alarm to not go off, but still be able to lock the doors is pop the hood slightly. I just leave it cracked, and when doing that the alarm has NEVER gone off. Knock on wood, I will say though I haven't had my alarm go off in a couple of weeks. I've had the hood closed completely and just hit the lock button on the FOB one time, which I think is just locking the doors and not actually setting the alarm. Between this issue and the issue with the NAV/DVD drive failing I just want to wash my hands of this car and move on. I think its incredible how little support the dealership provides when it comes to these small little electric issues that seem to pop up. Like they want $190 to run diagnostics meanwhile they can't even gurantee they can do anything with this thing. I want my integra back, I never once had a single electrical issue and anything that went wrong I was able to fix it myself. If I run across anything I'll update here, but I just am so frustrated with this crap. LOL the best is when I was at a dealership looking to possibly trade it in and the alarm was going off in their parking lot...whomp
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Have you checked the bunches of wires running along the doorwells?
I found a loose connection and was able to fix it on spot.
I'm not going to say I fixed my problem but it hasn't gone off in weeks.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am having the same issue with the alarm going off after the car has been lock with the key fob. I disconnected the alarm horn so the lights only flash. After 5 neighbors told me about the flashing lights at all time of day I got tired of explaining it. My dealer gave me the same story as they are not able to disarm the system. I own a 1999 TL so I do not mind some one stealing the car.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Replace the door sensors. its a common thing.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by con5tant
so my alarm goes off randomly(went off twice within 30mins)...i'm not sure why.
everything seems fine, i can lock and unlock, all the lights work
never touched anything electrical really... battery going bad?
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^this exact same thing happened to me and i replaced the battery and it hasn't happend since. it's been well over a year.
I have a 2010 TL and LOVE this car! This morning I woke up to a note on the windshield from someone in my apt complex letting me know the alarm has been going off all night :-( Has the new battery still done the trick? Please help and thanks!!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MsDnice
I have a 2010 TL and LOVE this car! This morning I woke up to a note on the windshield from someone in my apt complex letting me know the alarm has been going off all night :-( Has the new battery still done the trick? Please help and thanks!!
Issue was a faulty door sensor. Mine was the drivers side. It was an $8 part. Worth a shot.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

Started to have this issue aswell.

A little bit of Google FU brought me to this youtube video:

I had both the issue where the alarm kept going off and the car wasnt honking after locking the doors with the remote (dorrs were still being locked)

just cleaned the Hood lock (it was really dirty) and it started honking again when locking. So far no more alarm going off
Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

This just happened to me.

I realized that it started when I reached in the open window to unlock the door. I locked the door wowi the key and then unlocked it with the key, and it stopped going off every time I opened a door or started the car.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Angry I am having the same problem!!

i dont know what is happening but our car is doing the same and we lock the car and it goes off every ten to fifteen minutes. we recently changed the battery and then it actually started to happen. But before we put the battery in that didnt happen. So im wondering could nit be a problem with the terminal, one of the door locks, or a just an electrical problem. We called Acura and they said we dont know. so im trying to figure out this problem for my father. Thank you
Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura Fan 2006
i dont know what is happening but our car is doing the same and we lock the car and it goes off every ten to fifteen minutes. we recently changed the battery and then it actually started to happen. But before we put the battery in that didnt happen. So im wondering could nit be a problem with the terminal, one of the door locks, or a just an electrical problem. We called Acura and they said we dont know. so im trying to figure out this problem for my father. Thank you
What battery did you put in? It could be any/all of the above. Start troubleshooting from the battery to the terminals and then onward.