Extreme dissatisfaction w/ Rattles and Service Dept

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:51 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extreme dissatisfaction w/ Rattles and Service Dept

I did a lot of research before purchasing my 06 TL and felt I was making the right choice at the time. I'm now thinking that I made a big mistake!

I bought it this year on March 13. I started hearing rattles from the passenger door area the very next day. I called the dealer and explained the situation. I took it in on the 25th of March to get the rattles taken care of. I received a call later that day that it was ready for picked. They explained that they had shot some foam into the headliner (hmmmm?) I picked it up later in that evening and the service dept happened to be closed. When I looked at my vehicle, there were grease spots in multiple locations in the passenger area (floor mats, headrests, seat, door). I showed this to the manager on duty and he had me pull it into the service bay so it could be cleaned (he actually did it).

So, I take my car home and it begins to rattle again a few days later in the same area. I take it back on April 14 and ride with the tech to try and pinpoint the rattles. We cannot hear them as I do when driving alone. It's agreed that I will take my car back and continue to monitor the rattles. When I return home I again notice multiple grease spot locations in the passenger area where the check was checking for rattles. I have to clean the interior of my car.

My new TL is rarely used and sits in my garage because I am driving my 2000 Intrepid that I am planning to sell. I start driving all week to work in the middle of July. The same rattles are still there so I call the service dept to schedule service again. I took it in on July 27. I notified my service advisor that each previous time I had picked up my car that I had to clean multiple grease spots in the interior. He said he was aware of that and that he had spoken to the technicians about it. Also, I would like to add that when I dropped off my car that the interior, and exterior for that matter, were immaculate. I continually checked the status the next few days but they said they were still working on it. I got a call on Aug 2 that my car was ready. They said they had found the source of the rattle and that it was coming from the passenger seat (something about the rails that the seat sits on). So, I came in late that afternoon to pick it up. I turned in my loaner and someone pulled my car around. I stated to my service advisor that I wanted to inspect the car before signing my service documentation. As the person driving it got out, I walked up to take a look. I cannot even begin to explain what a complete mess my interior looked like. There was an obvious dark grease smudge line on the driver's floor mat. Grease stains on both front seats, door handles, door panels, threshhold, and all over the back seat area; basically everywhere. On top of that, there was a new (golf ball size) impression directly in the middle of the seat area of one of the back seats. It looks as if one of the techs must have had a big screwdriver or something and had been sitting there for an extending period of time. No one has ever even been in the back seat before this. You had to see the car to even believe this.

I asked to speak to my service advisor's manager. He went to get her (Service Director) and she came out and I explained my extreme dissatisfaction as I showed her the car. She was in complete agreement that the car should have never been delivered to me in the shape it was in. Of course, I did not take it and she said that she would have it cleaned and that I could pick it up on 8/4 (tomorrow). She said that the impression in the back seat was normal wear and tear. What?, are you kidding. It was obvious that an object had been pressed hard against this seat and that the leather did not bounce back to its original position. If this normal wear and tear (at 1100 miles), I'd hate to see what my car will look like at 3000 miles and beyond.

I think the bottom line is that dealing with TL rattles is one thing, but also dealing with a service department which does not seem to care about the condition of your car when they return it, only compounds the problem and the customer's frustration level. God, I hope they have fixed the rattles, because I really don't want to take my car back to them. They are actually one of the largest and highest rated Acura dealers in my area.

I know this is a very long post, and if you've read it all the way through, congratulations. I was just interested to see if anyone has encountered these types of horror stories when taking their car in for service.
And, for what it's worth, if the TL wasn't so infamous for the inherrent rattles, my car would have never been in the shop to being with.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jrw429
I did a lot of research before purchasing my 06 TL and felt I was making the right choice at the time. I'm now thinking that I made a big mistake!

I bought it this year on March 13. I started hearing rattles from the passenger door area the very next day. I called the dealer and explained the situation. I took it in on the 25th of March to get the rattles taken care of. I received a call later that day that it was ready for picked. They explained that they had shot some foam into the headliner (hmmmm?) I picked it up later in that evening and the service dept happened to be closed. When I looked at my vehicle, there were grease spots in multiple locations in the passenger area (floor mats, headrests, seat, door). I showed this to the manager on duty and he had me pull it into the service bay so it could be cleaned (he actually did it).

So, I take my car home and it begins to rattle again a few days later in the same area. I take it back on April 14 and ride with the tech to try and pinpoint the rattles. We cannot hear them as I do when driving alone. It's agreed that I will take my car back and continue to monitor the rattles. When I return home I again notice multiple grease spot locations in the passenger area where the check was checking for rattles. I have to clean the interior of my car.

My new TL is rarely used and sits in my garage because I am driving my 2000 Intrepid that I am planning to sell. I start driving all week to work in the middle of July. The same rattles are still there so I call the service dept to schedule service again. I took it in on July 27. I notified my service advisor that each previous time I had picked up my car that I had to clean multiple grease spots in the interior. He said he was aware of that and that he had spoken to the technicians about it. Also, I would like to add that when I dropped off my car that the interior, and exterior for that matter, were immaculate. I continually checked the status the next few days but they said they were still working on it. I got a call on Aug 2 that my car was ready. They said they had found the source of the rattle and that it was coming from the passenger seat (something about the rails that the seat sits on). So, I came in late that afternoon to pick it up. I turned in my loaner and someone pulled my car around. I stated to my service advisor that I wanted to inspect the car before signing my service documentation. As the person driving it got out, I walked up to take a look. I cannot even begin to explain what a complete mess my interior looked like. There was an obvious dark grease smudge line on the driver's floor mat. Grease stains on both front seats, door handles, door panels, threshhold, and all over the back seat area; basically everywhere. On top of that, there was a new (golf ball size) impression directly in the middle of the seat area of one of the back seats. It looks as if one of the techs must have had a big screwdriver or something and had been sitting there for an extending period of time. No one has ever even been in the back seat before this. You had to see the car to even believe this.

I asked to speak to my service advisor's manager. He went to get her (Service Director) and she came out and I explained my extreme dissatisfaction as I showed her the car. She was in complete agreement that the car should have never been delivered to me in the shape it was in. Of course, I did not take it and she said that she would have it cleaned and that I could pick it up on 8/4 (tomorrow). She said that the impression in the back seat was normal wear and tear. What?, are you kidding. It was obvious that an object had been pressed hard against this seat and that the leather did not bounce back to its original position. If this normal wear and tear (at 1100 miles), I'd hate to see what my car will look like at 3000 miles and beyond.

I think the bottom line is that dealing with TL rattles is one thing, but also dealing with a service department which does not seem to care about the condition of your car when they return it, only compounds the problem and the customer's frustration level. God, I hope they have fixed the rattles, because I really don't want to take my car back to them. They are actually one of the largest and highest rated Acura dealers in my area.

I know this is a very long post, and if you've read it all the way through, congratulations. I was just interested to see if anyone has encountered these types of horror stories when taking their car in for service.
And, for what it's worth, if the TL wasn't so infamous for the inherrent rattles, my car would have never been in the shop to being with.
TL is not luxury car.
Many people here still dream and think that TL is cool.
It is cool outside only...
Acura cut a lot of corners with this TL. You will hear small, big rattles, squeaks inside of cabin.
There are two solutions:
1. Turn music on
2. Sell American car.

Never buy domestic car.

PS: I am in same boat with you. I was very wrong about this TL. Now I learn it hard way. I am about to get rid of this cheap made car.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
My car doesn't have any rattles, just an infrequent and rare creak every so often. However, jwr429's service department sounds impossibly incompetent. The impression left in the back seat was probably from a tech's knee placement while he put foam into the headliner. Try a different Acura dealer service department.
The 3 independent mechanics and 2 dealer service departments I've dealt with here in SoCal put multiple paper mats over the floor mats to minimize dirt in the interiors; I haven't encountered grease or dirt in a car from any mechanic/tech in years. However, I haven't used my Acura dealer yet since I have not needed any warranty work and use an independent Honda/Acura shop for maintenance.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Pro

Sorry to hear about the problems you guys are having. I know at your dealership we get the normal rattles, I hate dealing with them but it's part of my job to fix them (and to do them correctly the first time around). I own an 05 TL and I've fixed all of my issues.

I would highly recommend talking to the Acura Rep for the dealer you are getting poor service from. Tell the manager or director to schedule and appointment the next time the Acura Rep is at the dealership. Our Acura Rep comes in one every 2-3 weeks but we know in advance when he will be in. He's there to address any issues you may have with the car , service, and anything of your concerns.

Hope this can help with addressing your problems.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by havokgroup
Sorry to hear about the problems you guys are having. I know at your dealership we get the normal rattles, I hate dealing with them but it's part of my job to fix them (and to do them correctly the first time around). I own an 05 TL and I've fixed all of my issues.

I would highly recommend talking to the Acura Rep for the dealer you are getting poor service from. Tell the manager or director to schedule and appointment the next time the Acura Rep is at the dealership. Our Acura Rep comes in one every 2-3 weeks but we know in advance when he will be in. He's there to address any issues you may have with the car , service, and anything of your concerns.

Hope this can help with addressing your problems.
very well put, i too have to deal with these issues as a tech.

havok group, where in TX are you located? what dealer?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Pro

dave0935: I work for Champions Acura in Houston. We are part of the Autonation group.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by oppnyc
TL is not luxury car.
Acura cut a lot of corners with this TL. You will hear small, big rattles, squeaks inside of cabin.
There are two solutions:
1. Turn music on
2. Sell American car.

Never buy domestic car.

PS: I am in same boat with you. I was very wrong about this TL. Now I learn it hard way. I am about to get rid of this cheap made car.
Good. you should. Go buy a BMW. Then you can discover what warranty issues are really like. They have one of the worst warranty ratings out there right now. Make in America? I don't think so.

Luxury car? Depends on your definition...but it shouldn't rattle.

If you have such a difficult time with American products, why are you here (NYC?)? Feel free to move to wherever you like. We won't miss you.

By the way, my wife has one of the very first 03 Aviators made...we bought it new. It has NEVER had a problem in 37K. I work in America. I live in America. America feeds my family and puts clothes on our back and a roof over my head. I am proud of what we do, what we stand for, and how we do it. I spent a tour in Vietnam so guys like you could spout your crap without fear of reprisal. You and Jane Fonda. My grandfather served in WWII, my father in Korea, me in Vietnam, and my son did two tours in the Gulf. We have all earned the right to rip you a new one. Go live in France....where they would be speaking German if it weren't for us shitty, no good Americans. Jerk.

Mods....feel free to ban me for this. I really don't want to be a part of a group that condones this kind of attitude anyway.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
TL is not luxury car.
There are two solutions:
1. Turn music on
2. Sell American car.

Never buy domestic car.

TL is a entry level luxury car.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I think you are being way to picky about the car. Most cars have rattles. From Lexus to BMW to Ford.

Now, the TL has a common rattle which sounds like what you might have and its SIMPLE to fix. First open both your front door map pockets up half way then drive. You probably won't hear it anymore. If so put some foam on the sides of the map pocket where it meets the door.

Mine had this as well.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
Good. you should. Go buy a BMW. Then you can discover what warranty issues are really like. They have one of the worst warranty ratings out there right now. Make in America? I don't think so.

If you have such a difficult time with American products, why are you here (NYC?)? Feel free to move to wherever you like. We won't miss you.

By the way, my wife has one of the very first 03 Aviators made...we bought it new. It has NEVER had a problem in 37K. I work in America. I live in America. America feeds my family and puts clothes on our back and a roof over my head. I am proud of what we do, what we stand for, and how we do it. I spent a tour in Vietnam so guys like you could spout your crap without fear of reprisal. You and Jane Fonda. My grandfather served in WWII, my father in Korea, me in Vietnam, and my son did two tours in the Gulf. We have all earned the right to rip you a new one. Go live in France....where they would be speaking German if it weren't for us shitty, no good Americans. Jerk.

Mods....feel free to ban me for this. I really don't want to be a part of a group that condones this kind of attitude anyway.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:29 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
I think you are being way to picky about the car. Most cars have rattles. From Lexus to BMW to Ford.

Now, the TL has a common rattle which sounds like what you might have and its SIMPLE to fix. First open both your front door map pockets up half way then drive. You probably won't hear it anymore. If so put some foam on the sides of the map pocket where it meets the door.

Mine had this as well.

Are you serious? My car has an obvious loud rattle on the second day of ownership and I'm supposed to just live with it? I'm being too picky?

I have never taken any car I've owned in my entire life into a repair shop for rattles, UNTIL NOW. I think that says something about the TL. I've read a lot of posts on the TL forum relating to TL rattles, so maybe I'm just one of the many very picky people. All I know is that I'm just stating what is happening in my brand new car, that's all.

I, for one, am not just going to sit back and settle for a "defective" brand new product. I'm going to try to have something done about it, whatever it takes. I would hope that other TL owners feel the same, especially after the second day of owning a car. That's ridiculous!

I also own a 2000 Dodge Intrepid and it does not rattle anything like my TL does. I'm going to pickup the TL tonight. From what they've told me, they have cleaned it up; grease free. I can only hope that the rattles are solved too. If not, I'm taking it right back.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Racer

Typical American approach....
America is best and wave flag....

America feeds my family
Other countries do too.
Check this out: my patriot:
link

and this

Now you can sleep better , right...

I did not know I have to ask your permission for this. Thanks. I know now

It seems that I am younger than you are however I already realized that waving American flag and screaming "Love or Leave" is FALSE PATRIOTIZM. (in most cases)
Old 08-04-2006, 10:30 PM
The Boss

Chill my friend. Part of a group? Not everybody who drive an import make those kind of remarks about domestic cars. I for one have owned all but 2 of the import cars. All of the domestic vehicles I've had were excellent and had no problems.

TL is not luxury car.
TL is a luxury car to me. My 2004 TL has absolutely no rattles and even with a supercharger in it, I don't have techical problems neither.

Perhaps I am fortunate to own a nice TL that doesn't rattle or have driving vibration. But keep in mind folks

for every problem posted, there are hundreds of other one that's in perfect condition.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:31 PM
The Boss

Typical American approach....

??? I'm asian and I love America. Your point is?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Pro

Fellas...can we get back on the subject. This issue is not about being an american or now.

jrw429: Have you been able to go back to get any help?
Old 08-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl

Mine had this as well.
I do not think so.
I drive a lot with my friends and every time they are in my TL they says three things:
1. Cabin has a lot of small, annoying squeaks, rattles. (I know this myself)
2. Car made with cheap material (100% agree)
3. Car has cool, sporty shape, nice engine. (100% agree)
Old 08-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
??? I'm asian and I love America. Your point is?
I keep my feeling inside. I do not think that waving Flag and scream how good this country is makes him real patriot.

Read his post again....
Once you say something about poor american quality he will ask you yo leave...
Can you imagine the level of such man?
I know exactly what I am talking about.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Racer

jrw429,

I know what you mean about the grease spots after a service visit. I have taken my 05 TL in for service twice and each time had issues with grease spots.

I wrote and gave a honest survey review to Acura Corp and the dealership on the first visit. The second visit I only received a survey from the dealership and again I provide honest feedback about the service.

In short, grease spots to interior and nicks to the rim during tire replacement (clipped grapefruit sized rock on right front tire that cut the sidewall).
[rant on]
How hard is it to avoid putting grease spots on both exterior and interior? Answer, not hard at all. I have worked on my own cars in the past and it does take a very small amount of time to prevent making a mess of the paint or the interior. I expect premium dealership experience to provide this level of service.
[/rant off]

Where are you located and which Acura dealership do you use for your service? Maybe other forum members can recommend a better dealership for service in your area.

Best of luck getting your issues resolved.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

Americanism and the Acura TL

Originally Posted by BruceLandry
Not liking the build quality of the TL and making a statement that American cars do not have the quality of imports has nothing to do with patriotism or being american, and to imply that someone is unamerican or should go live somewhere else just because they are critical of american made goods is frankly ridiculous.

I'm a natural citizen, I would never buy an american car again (well I did buy two, actually, both were horrible cars, I was lucky to dump my Chrysler PT Cruiser on an unsuspecting boob just a few weeks ago). The build quality is poor on american cars. This has been a justifiable and widely held opinion for decades. This is why the Japanese auto makers have been able to take over such a large percentage of car sales in America. This is why all the top rated cars in Consumer Reports this year were Japanese cars. Have you ever looked at the CR reliability ratings? If you look at the annual auto issue, the american cars have long lines of black circles (bad), while the japanese cars are all red circles (good).

Does any of this have anything to do with americanism or patriotism? Not a thing. It has to do with build quality. American car manufactureres have a long way to go to rebuild trust in their vehicles and take back the market share taken over by the japanese market, who justifiably built a reputation for building solid reliable cars.

I do try to buy american, if the quality is there. But when the quality isn't there, I don't believe in buying american just for the sake of buying american.

I knew the TL was built in the US but hoped Acura's reputation for solid build and reliability would carry through to the american built Acuras. We do love Acuras in my family. We still have our '94 Integra.

I researched the car before hand and was prepared for some rattles. I've had my TL for exactly a week and have already had it into the dealership for a rattle coming from the center front speaker. They fixed the rattle and left the car spotless. For every rattle that pops up, it will go back to the dealership until the rattle is fixed.

I still think the TL is a great car, looks sharp, drives well (except for all of you out there who unreasonably expect it to drive like a rwd car), has a lot of amenitites for the price. A great value for the money.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Racer

I keep my feeling inside. I do not think that waving Flag and scream how good this country is makes him real patriot.
Read my post again...there is plenty there that DOES indeed show why I'm a patriot. I've earned it. Have you?

And keep your feelings inside??? Give me a break. Your comments are what got me started.

Read his post again....
Once you say something about poor american quality he will ask you yo leave...
Can you imagine the level of such man?
I did not ask you to leave. As a matter of fact, the reason I've done what I have is so people such as yourself have the right to say just exactly what you said without having to leave. But I don't have to like what you said either. My point was, if you think it's bad here....try someplace else and see what it's like. You know....the grass is always greener....
I know exactly what I am talking about.
I disagree. I don't think you have a clue.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:05 AM
5th Gear

UPDATE: I picked my car up from the dealership on Friday

I got a call on Friday from the Service Director saying that my car had been cleaned and and was ready for pickup. She stated that it looked really good and that I would be happy with it.

I got there that afternoon and my car was sitting in their indoor "pull-up" area in the service department. She said that we should pull the car outdoors so that I could see it in the light. We pulled around and I inspected the car. It did look very good; they did a nice job. They had basically detailed the car, shampooed the carpet, floor mats, etc. All the grease spots were apparently gone. I did notice a couple scuff marks on the passenger door threshold and pointed those out. She said that those were most likely caused by here shoe when she exited the vehicle because they were'nt there before. I said it was no problem and that I would clean it when I got home.

I also did a quick look around the exterior to check for any dings, scratches, etc. Everything looked good and I left for home. I was also pleased that I did not hear any of the previous rattles on my drive home (remember, this was the only reason I was in their service dept to begin with).

I pulled in my driveway, got out and did a closer inspection on the car. I couldn't believe what I immediately saw; two big nicks on the outer rim of the left front wheel. These were not there when I took my car in for service over a week ago. I immediately called and told the service director. She said to bring the car in the next day. Boy, I thought I was all done, and then to see this. What a complete emotional bummer! Unbelievable.

I proceeded to clean to scuff marks on the passenger side and then I noticed something else; a 1/2 inch scratch on the aluminum trim surrounding the gear shift. Again, I'm almost positive that this was not there when I took it in - no one is ever in the passenger seat. And, they were working the entire week on the passenger side to diagnose the rattles.

So, in short, I took it in on Saturday morning and dropped it off. I'm hoping for them to replace the left front wheel and to replace the gear box trim. I only wonder what I'm going to find next when I go to pick up my car. Hopefully, a little satisfaction.

Havokgroup - thanks for asking about the status. I was hoping to pull my car into the garage and be done for a while.

A_UFO - I'm located in Damascus, MD. The dealership is in Gaithersburg, MD - just about 10-15 minutes south of me. There really is not another convenient Acura dealership close to me. I think the next closest is in Chevy Chase; quite a ways away. I would like to feel that a recognized dealership is probably the best place to take a new TL. We'll see.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Pro

jrw429: As I mentioned before...if you are still unhappy of how the dealership is with your issues, tell the director that you want to meet with the Acura Rep. The rep works directly for Acura and that the acutal dealership. All in all..I hope all of your problems get address correctly. There should be no reasons why you have to keep comming back for their mistakes.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
phew...i actually went thru the whole thread and drama..so useless...you guys should make a new thread about your drama...

ok back to the topic....I dont think its just any dealer or car manufacturer. It also happened to my dads ML..the dealer was Rallye Mercedes in NY. It had a couple rattles in the back but luckily didnt find any new problems coming out from the dealer. All i do is jus keep going back there till they get it right! Paying for any amount of money for a BRAND NEW vehicle should give you the satisfaction that its perfect or so...I mean it is brand new right paid by our hard earned $$$, whether its for a luxury car or not we all expect it to drive perfectly without any hiccups for how many thousands of miles.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by coykiam
phew...i actually went thru the whole thread and drama..so useless...you guys should make a new thread about your drama...
You're right....and I apologize for hi-jacking the thread.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 PM
5th Gear

I picked up my car tonight and everything has now been fixed. They replaced the left front wheel and the trim surrounding the gear shift. So, even though I went through some aggravations over the past couple weeks, they did a really good job.

They washed the car again and the interior was clean too. And, as a bonus, I didn't hear any rattles on the way home.

It's in the garage taking a break for a while!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Pro

jrw429: Glad to hear things got fixed correctly. In case of future issues...pm me and let me see what I can do on my end. BTW...our Acura Rep is comming to our shop in the morning. We just got the 1st of many batches of the RDX.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
2 FAST TL

Can't complain about rattles myslef...Not yet atleast!!