Driveline Vibration. Possible fix now? (3G Garage# A-010)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
It's not worthy to hack their networks yet...

Originally Posted by RBallman
...Isn't there a transportation safety site where we can access all TSBs for any and all recalls? I seem to remember hearing about one........
I haven't found one yet. Those genuine Acura TSBs are only inside Acura/Acura dealers network. We have some TSBs here. Check #1.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Dunno why only 04TLs... they look "identical" to me...

04TL
Aluminum-alloy front subframe
Besides its low mass, the TL aluminum-alloy front subframe reduces "starting boom" (resonance noise) without the use of additional dampers.

05TL
Aluminum-alloy front subframe
Besides its low mass, the TL aluminum-alloy front subframe reduces "starting boom" (resonance noise) without the use of additional dampers.

04TL
The TL with 6-speed manual transmission includes the following features
Rear engine rocking damper

05TL
The TL with 6-speed manual transmission includes the following features:
Rear engine rocking damper
Old 05-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone who gets this dealer fix done please report on the results and exactly what the new dynamic damper is? I was planning to wait for my next scheduled service to get the fix done at the same time, but I'd like to hear what others think of it.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

rvmeush, welcome back.

Obviously, you're the 3rd person talking about this issue since ACuraR posting it. I was wondering where those people who dislike this vibration, they should all talk about this. Dealers should receive tons of calls about this, shouldn't they? I guess guys in CA would be able to taste this first.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:49 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't there a member on this forum (Randy, was it?) who worked at a dealer and can get us TSBs? I would love to see a copy of the actual TSB. I've noticed the problem -- between 40-50 mph in 5th gear -- but mine is fairly slight compared to what you guys must be noticing.

That said, I'd still like to get the fix if it's officially sanctioned by Acura, and would like to see the TSB to see how I can best "inform" the dealer of the problem.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 05-24-2005, 04:25 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up It's about time!

Finally, 18 months later, Acura finally find's a fix for the 1500rpm vibration.

I guess they are tired of us bitching at them, and on this site about it.

As I understand it, it is a rubber damper placed at the rear of the lower sub-frame. It is placed just behind the rear engine mount, near the cat.

13 months earlier and I would have kept my car, it can't be that hard to find, and boy did the NVH boys at Acura/Honda miss this in their design and test mule stage.

All I can say is 18 months.

Congrats to all you who stuck with it, and can finally get a fix.

Funny, I also had it in 4th gear at 30-35mph at 1500rpm, but maybe mine was just one of the realy bad ones.

Will I buy another TL now, all I can say is I am on the fence.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:25 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Still waiting to see the actual TSB, so if anyone has it please share! I want to make sure the dealer I go to won't try to weasel out of making the fix.

need4spd: If that was the only reason you got rid of the TL, time to buy it again!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:26 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
alright, I've noticed this vibration sometimes, so now its time to take the car to dealer. What TSB# should I get them? I don't my dealer to give me some like dealers do.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:28 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
nevermind guys.

Service Bulletin 05-017
Old 05-24-2005, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by need4spd
Finally, 18 months later, Acura finally find's a fix for the 1500rpm vibration.

I guess they are tired of us bitching at them, and on this site about it.

As I understand it, it is a rubber damper placed at the rear of the lower sub-frame. It is placed just behind the rear engine mount, near the cat.

13 months earlier and I would have kept my car, it can't be that hard to find, and boy did the NVH boys at Acura/Honda miss this in their design and test mule stage.

All I can say is 18 months.

Congrats to all you who stuck with it, and can finally get a fix.

Funny, I also had it in 4th gear at 30-35mph at 1500rpm, but maybe mine was just one of the realy bad ones.

Will I buy another TL now, all I can say is I am on the fence.
Mine too moan and groan at 30-40 then 50-60 but was told by ACS and my dealer that it was characteristic of a high performance TL. yeah right.

They treated me like an idiot. I have owned many cars and imagine most on this forum have. I recognize something was wrong with the design, either the engine or a power train issue. ACS just kept lying about it. Instead of telling us that they were working on a fix, they lied about it. I did not want to spend my time filing complaints w/ NHS and stuff. It is not worth it.

It was my first and will be last Acura/Honda buy. I am going back to old reliable Nissan who at least treat customers like customers. I have had to fix rattles myself, you name it I have done it. Door glass holders, squeaky ceiling and moonroof, etc...I paid 35k large for 270 crippled horses.

Good luck to all TL owners on this forum.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lore
Still waiting to see the actual TSB, so if anyone has it please share! I want to make sure the dealer I go to won't try to weasel out of making the fix.

need4spd: If that was the only reason you got rid of the TL, time to buy it again!
I spoke with the service rep at my dealer today and he read the TSB to me, so it's definitely in the hands of the dealers. There was even some language in the TSB about not confusing the 50-60 mph vibration with vibrations caused by tire flatspotting. I still have a way to go before my next scheduled service, so I'd really like to hear some feedback from someone who gets this fix in the next few weeks.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:33 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by rvmeush
I spoke with the service rep at my dealer today and he read the TSB to me, so it's definitely in the hands of the dealers. There was even some language in the TSB about not confusing the 50-60 mph vibration with vibrations caused by tire flatspotting. I still have a way to go before my next scheduled service, so I'd really like to hear some feedback from someone who gets this fix in the next few weeks.
Why wait for your next service? This should be something they can do in 30 minutes -- unless it really does not bother you. See if your service rep would be willing to email it to us

I'm glad Acura is finally responding to the problems we've noted so consistently since the car came to market.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I cannot get the copies, either.

Originally Posted by Lore
Still waiting to see the actual TSB, so if anyone has it please share! I want to make sure the dealer I go to won't try to weasel out of making the fix....
Old 05-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by rvmeush
I'd suggest you could make sure they have the right part, the dynamic damper, for the fix when you visit the dealer. Then, if they determine it's the problem, they could replace them right away instead of telling you to schedule next time.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Racer

auto or 6mt?

i've watched this thread grow from 2+ to 10+ pages...and was hoping i would not have to re-read... is this an AUTO trans only problem?

i just had my 16k Turanzas and wheels replaced w/ new Turanzas. i still have the vibration-
Old 05-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It's "Auto". 5th gear/1500 RPM/50-55 MPH.

It makes you feel like you drive 6MT at very low RPM, the "lugging".
Old 05-24-2005, 10:46 PM
an Acura has-been

Originally Posted by LORE
My dear evil twin brother, it was one of many reasons for getting rid of my TL, the others they were willing to work with me on including the leather side bolster issues (they fixed the butt prints, but that was not a main concern), tire flat spoting (now that I know, I can negotiate that in a new car deal), the roof falling, and a few others.

Not sure if I trust them still, too many problems with the 2005's

Originally Posted by TomN
Mine too moan and groan at 30-40 then 50-60 but was told by ACS and my dealer that it was characteristic of a high performance TL. yeah right.

They treated me like an idiot. I have owned many cars and imagine most on this forum have. I recognize something was wrong with the design, either the engine or a power train issue. ACS just kept lying about it. Instead of telling us that they were working on a fix, they lied about it. I did not want to spend my time filing complaints w/ NHS and stuff. It is not worth it.

It was my first and will be last Acura/Honda buy. I am going back to old reliable Nissan who at least treat customers like customers. I have had to fix rattles myself, you name it I have done it. Door glass holders, squeaky ceiling and moonroof, etc...I paid 35k large for 270 crippled horses.

Good luck to all TL owners on this forum.
I agree, and was lucky to get out of my car for Zero cost (well, intrest on the loan), not sure if I trust them yet, they lost my faith along the way with the lies, and the auto transmission issues that were "fixed" for the third gen cars, but not really fix (ie the recall)

However, I still love the look of the car!
Old 05-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Can someone please post a link to, or a pdf of, the actual TSB? I"m sure someone on here has access to it. Thanks. JON
Old 05-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I called my dealer 2nd time today, no part yet, although TSB is there. It's been a week since my first call... still waiting for the parts from Acura.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Need 4. Did you buy a preowned 5 once out of your vibro-tl?
Old 05-30-2005, 01:04 AM
10th Gear

How does one go about to get this vibration fix (05-017)?, thanks.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wildcat Jon
Need 4. Did you buy a preowned 5 once out of your vibro-tl?
I think that was me.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
just had this done

Last week when i had my leather seats swapped out for 05 seats they also did this damper and it seems to be smoother but i think there is still slight vibrations. Maybe something else needs to be adjust or fix..someone else get this done and confirm my finding..dont want to get everyone hope down
Old 06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by xedap1998
Last week when i had my leather seats swapped out for 05 seats they also did this damper and it seems to be smoother but i think there is still slight vibrations. Maybe something else needs to be adjust or fix..someone else get this done and confirm my finding..dont want to get everyone hope down
I feel the same way as you do...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116913
Old 10-24-2005, 08:06 AM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

I just got an '05 5AT and I've noticed a vibration at idle, upto about 1500rpms at any speed. Is this the same issue that others are noticing? I find it is most apparent at lower speeds rather than the 50-60mph that most users are talking about.

Anybody have success with any fixes?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Harvest day sucks....

Originally Posted by mbwmn
i've watched this thread grow from 2+ to 10+ pages...and was hoping i would not have to re-read... is this an AUTO trans only problem?

i just had my 16k Turanzas and wheels replaced w/ new Turanzas. i still have the vibration-
I've got a 2004 6 speed that has suffered a driveline vibration from day one. It's not the "drone" felt by the Auto's, but was a persistant vibration from 75+ MPH in the steering wheel, felt like the tires were out of balance. New tires (toyo proxes 4) at 30,000 didn't cure the problem. But a brake job at 35,000 did! The really odd thing is that if there was a hotspot in the rotors, I never did feel the wheel pulsating when applying the brakes that would have been an indication of warped rotors. New pads and resurfacing the rotors and now my car rides smooth as glass at any speed. I'm shocked.....and finally happy. It's only been 2 years..........
Old 10-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corn
I've got a 2004 6 speed that has suffered a driveline vibration from day one. It's not the "drone" felt by the Auto's, but was a persistant vibration from 75+ MPH in the steering wheel, felt like the tires were out of balance. New tires (toyo proxes 4) at 30,000 didn't cure the problem. But a brake job at 35,000 did! The really odd thing is that if there was a hotspot in the rotors, I never did feel the wheel pulsating when applying the brakes that would have been an indication of warped rotors. New pads and resurfacing the rotors and now my car rides smooth as glass at any speed. I'm shocked.....and finally happy. It's only been 2 years..........
I'm in a very similiar position in that I replaced my tires with Toyo Proxes 4 because my old tires had bubbles in them and I felt a vibration in the steering wheel starting at about 60mph. The car has also been rebalanced and realligned, which helped the matter, but I still feel a slight vibration. It turns out my Acura dealer is now saying that 3 of the 4 wheels are bent which is causing a wobble. They said it would cost $360.00/wheel for replacement. If I'm going to spend that much money, I'll get my own rims.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pvansh
I just got an '05 5AT and I've noticed a vibration at idle, upto about 1500rpms at any speed. Is this the same issue that others are noticing? I find it is most apparent at lower speeds rather than the 50-60mph that most users are talking about.

I too have felt this vibration and the dealer applied the TSB fix. It helped a little but the vibration is still there. I drive a late '04 TL. I have to say that the loaner car that was given to me (car's in for service atm) is much smoother with low end acceleration. I don't feel any vibration at all. Now I don't know if the vibration has anything to do with my supposed bent wheels, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $1,000 to find out.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:48 PM
an Acura has-been

Here are links to the TSB to try and fix the 04 TL driveline vibration (1500rpm vibration):

Page 1

Page 2

Here is the large vibration damper that they are adding to your 04 TL, many that is large, there are a lot of forces they need to try and dampen, no wonder why it does not work for all.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Racer

hhhmmm...
thnx for the heads-up. i'm due for front pads soon (24k) and wasn't going to cut straight rotors, but....

i'm getting some vibes from the rear too. 2 sets wheels and 3rd set tires. i have another set of take-off wheels i'll be putting snows on. i'll bet those vibrate too.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Instructor

I have an 06 6 spd. I really didn't notice any vibrations on the stock car. I had that for about 2 weeks before I had the A-spec stuff put on. The first time I picked up my car, drove it from Phoenix to Flagstaff (about 2 hours) --- VIBRATIONS;

Starting at about 80 to 85 mph upto 90/95 mph I could feel the vibrations thru the floor board into my steering column, and it wasn't like I was accelarating hard or nothin, just a smooth climb. The vibrations I notice would be there during accelaration as well as smooth decelaration around the same speed.

The first things that came to mind was "shoot, the foo's didn't balance my tires right or it could be the suspension." The next day morning I had to go for another 30 mile drive - same thing.

A week later though after about 3 more days of street driving I had to go for another 30 mile drive on the freeway -- hmmm- the vibrations r a bit more milder; I can still feel em but not as bad.

So then now I am thinking maybe cause the A-spec kit tires were new they just had to get evened out / broken - in / smoothened out who knows. I know it shouldn't be like that but then again ya never know I am going to keep an eye out for the vibrations.

I haven't done my first oil change yet so I don't want to take the car upto those speeds too often so we'll see. Maybe after my first oil change I'll give more focused test drives.

I seriously hope it's not the suspension or nothin!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

Vibration at lower speeds

Originally Posted by pvansh

I have a late 2005 AT. Mine sounds same as yours. At slow neighborhood speeds, my car feels like I am driving a farm tractor. From about 1100 to 1500 rpm. A rumbly vibration, when the engine is lugging at low RPM.

However, I never noticed a few months ago in warmer weather....and....After warm up of about 3 miles, the vibration seems to diminish. It also seems to idle rough on a cold morning start.

Is there not some special Exhaust recirculation that goes on during warm-up? I've read about (not this forum) it long ago, but cannot recall. Seemed to reduce pollution during the rich high idle if I remember right.

I don't notice any vibration at higher speeds or RPM's. Someone on the thread said the MDX had similar problem. My Pilot (same essential driveline) is smooth as silk.

At first I am thinking "The TL exhaust is set up to sound like a Mutang V8". But it is just not what I expect in a Luxury Sedan.

Any thoughts on the cold/warm theory?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by mikmax1
I have a late 2005 AT. Mine sounds same as yours. At slow neighborhood speeds, my car feels like I am driving a farm tractor. From about 1100 to 1500 rpm. A rumbly vibration, when the engine is lugging at low RPM.

However, I never noticed a few months ago in warmer weather....and....After warm up of about 3 miles, the vibration seems to diminish. It also seems to idle rough on a cold morning start.

Is there not some special Exhaust recirculation that goes on during warm-up? I've read about (not this forum) it long ago, but cannot recall. Seemed to reduce pollution during the rich high idle if I remember right.

I don't notice any vibration at higher speeds or RPM's. Someone on the thread said the MDX had similar problem. My Pilot (same essential driveline) is smooth as silk.

At first I am thinking "The TL exhaust is set up to sound like a Mutang V8". But it is just not what I expect in a Luxury Sedan.

Any thoughts on the cold/warm theory?
I agree that it is definately worse when colder. But I still experience the 1500rpms vibration even when warm. It is interesting however that the vibration is not always as bad. Some days its better than others and even within the same day one start to the next can be better than another. I really can't seem to pinpoint what the cause is.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Cold means stiff rubber, stiff motor mounts, sub frame bushings, stiff tires, stiff exhaust hangers.

EGR only worked after the engine was hot, and not at idle, or full throttle. I was used to reduce NOX by reducing combustion temps, exhaust is inert, no fuel, no oxygen, so that lowers nox when running on the hiway under light to moderate load. For cold start, some cars have air injection, to get the cats warmed up fast by burning the unburnt fuel in the exhaust and cats.
Some cars used a pump, belt or electic motor driven, some used a one way valve and pulses in the exhaust to draw air in.

Brett
Old 01-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

FOr the cold start-ups, my TL vibrates also but it was really bad when i first got the car. It was literally shaking but im glad it went away but it still vibrates. i have all the 1500 rpm, 30-35 mph, 50-60 mph, etc vibrations. I also have the 2000-2500 rpm vibration but it isnt as bad as the 1500 rpm vibration. The car is super smooth above 2500 rpm, just wish i can say that for below 2500 rpm.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by whatjones911
FOr the cold start-ups, my TL vibrates also but it was really bad when i first got the car. It was literally shaking but im glad it went away but it still vibrates. i have all the 1500 rpm, 30-35 mph, 50-60 mph, etc vibrations. I also have the 2000-2500 rpm vibration but it isnt as bad as the 1500 rpm vibration. The car is super smooth above 2500 rpm, just wish i can say that for below 2500 rpm.
I agree, 1500rpm is the worst. I don't seem to have any other vibrations outside of the 1500 rpm (and obviously the cold start idle).
Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Cruisin'

Anything new?

I get in mine this morning in Garage. Garage is like 50 degrees. Car drives to work smooth as silk. At 25 mph, it is running over 2000rpm for first mile or two, so the engine never lugs. Tranny must stay in lower gear when cold? Or does Torque converter not lock up?

At noon, temp is 30 degrees outside. Drivetrain is like a farm tractor.

Someone mentioned somewhere about an Acura Tech claiming they were blaming Torque converter lockup. Was he on to something?

Anyone ever got this fixed? I never took mind back to dealer yet for anything.

Car is perfect except for the driveline vibration and a small left headliner crackle.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
I think either the engine is bad or the exhaust hitting against something....I need someone help me test my method...some day when it is really quiet out side...i can hear something weird my the exahaust system...some thing like a "thumping" sound and if you stand behind the car when really quiet u can really hear it...so...if you have a ramp to drive your car on...park your car on it...and have someone start up the car while you are under the car looking at what causes this vibration and noise....not only i have this problem but i have the hard shake thumping when the engine turn over...start up....say it the car doesnt start the first time...the second time i shake hard....the 06 is much smoother...even when cold...just much better...but lets not get into that...cause i try to told my damn dealer that and they said ....2 yrs of technology different...BS...anyways...i want a fix..my car is lowered so i can no longer get on the ramps
Old 02-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Racer

Arrow 1500 - 2500 Ping/Rumble/Hum

Check this thread to see if this will resolve your issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/owned-131221/

Quick Reply: Driveline Vibration. Possible fix now? (3G Garage# A-010)