Downshifted into 2nd insteda of 4th.. FML

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowkahn
Because the warranty is meant to cover manufacturer defects only. It's not meant to cover "I was stupid and broke my car" situations, and trying to use it to even get part of a repair cost covered is scamming the dealership.
Scam and dealership when found in a sentence here on Azine is most likely utilized in this relationship:
I went to the dealership and they charged me $1500 for new brake pads, did I get scammed?
It's obvious even without the event memory that the OP overrev'd which is a user error not system flaw. He'll be lucky if they goodwill any part of the bill.. so don't worry about the dealership getting scammed.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow this sounds a lot like what I did last year.

I wasn't drunk but had a few drinks and was driving on the freeway for a party in a university a few towns over.

On a 2-lane on ramp to the 60 Freeway a Dodge Neon was coming up really fast behind. I was going about 70mph and wanted to downshift to 4th to speed up a lil bit, just to play. Unfortunately I downshifted into 2nd instead and watched my Tach roar all the way to the very end. I didn't even let the clutch all the way out and immediately depressed the pedal again and cruised to about 55 mph before putting into 5th. This all happened last year around this time actually. Thankfully my car was fine, at the time it was brand new had about 5k miles on it. I'm at 15k miles now and haven't had any problems with the engine. I guess I got off really lucky, at the time I thought "damn these cars are bulletproof!". But hearing your story I guess I was just extremely lucky my engine didn't get bent valves.

Sorry to steal your thread just wanted to share since reading this thread brought back a lot of memories. For some reason in the thread that I made there wasn't any flaming, even though I did say I was drinking and racing a Dodge Neon. A lot of people were saying that I was extremely lucky and that if something was wrong with the car I would know immediately. I guess that's what happened with the ticking noise with your ride. Live and learn.

I hope Acura will cover some of the costs for you, I also remember in my thread someone told me that Honda will rev these engines past redline in the factory for like a minute or so. Not sure how true that is, but that person also said that these motors "should" be able to go over redline briefly without causing internal damage.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=swoosh;11855425]hahahah admit it....we all love flaming /QUOTE]

Not ALL of us. Flaming is nothing more than people being able to put into writing comments that they wouldn't have the balls to say in person.

I don't think the OP is asking anyone to pat him on the back or feel sorry for him. As a matter of fact, I have never seen anyone on this forum handle this kind of useless flaming with such maturity in his replies.

He knows he messed up big time. Let us all hope that he learns from this experience. He is asking for advice, not ridicule. I hope he doesn't really expect some discounting from Acura.....that raises the price on future Acuras that we may all buy. Acura doesn't "absorb" it, they eventually pass it on.

The first perfect poster out there, please raise your hand
Old 03-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MistahSleepy
Wow this sounds a lot like what I did last year.

I wasn't drunk but had a few drinks and was driving on the freeway for a party in a university a few towns over.

On a 2-lane on ramp to the 60 Freeway a Dodge Neon was coming up really fast behind. I was going about 70mph and wanted to downshift to 4th to speed up a lil bit, just to play. Unfortunately I downshifted into 2nd instead and watched my Tach roar all the way to the very end. I didn't even let the clutch all the way out and immediately depressed the pedal again and cruised to about 55 mph before putting into 5th. This all happened last year around this time actually. Thankfully my car was fine, at the time it was brand new had about 5k miles on it. I'm at 15k miles now and haven't had any problems with the engine. I guess I got off really lucky, at the time I thought "damn these cars are bulletproof!". But hearing your story I guess I was just extremely lucky my engine didn't get bent valves.

Sorry to steal your thread just wanted to share since reading this thread brought back a lot of memories. For some reason in the thread that I made there wasn't any flaming, even though I did say I was drinking and racing a Dodge Neon. A lot of people were saying that I was extremely lucky and that if something was wrong with the car I would know immediately. I guess that's what happened with the ticking noise with your ride. Live and learn.

I hope Acura will cover some of the costs for you, I also remember in my thread someone told me that Honda will rev these engines past redline in the factory for like a minute or so. Not sure how true that is, but that person also said that these motors "should" be able to go over redline briefly without causing internal damage.
wow almost the exact situation!! Thats awesome that you had no damage. I may be overthinking the damage on my car but i guess we all will find out soon enough. I honestly just want my motor running at 100%.. when this happens, ill ba a happy camper.
[QUOTE=S PAW 1;11856368]
Originally Posted by swoosh
hahahah admit it....we all love flaming /QUOTE]

Not ALL of us. Flaming is nothing more than people being able to put into writing comments that they wouldn't have the balls to say in person.

I don't think the OP is asking anyone to pat him on the back or feel sorry for him. As a matter of fact, I have never seen anyone on this forum handle this kind of useless flaming with such maturity in his replies.

He knows he messed up big time. Let us all hope that he learns from this experience. He is asking for advice, not ridicule. I hope he doesn't really expect some discounting from Acura.....that raises the price on future Acuras that we may all buy. Acura doesn't "absorb" it, they eventually pass it on.

The first perfect poster out there, please raise your hand
Yea i just came her for some help sense this problem has been stressing me out. I just ignore the people that cant make my situation better..
Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
start by a compression test.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Yeah, I mean, come on, I'm new here too, and have to say that turning this dude into the cops, as well as notifying the dealerships is just a wee-bit (WAYYY) over the top. The dude fucked up, he fucked up his motor, and he's gonna pay dearly for it. I think that's enough.

I'm sure the cops will get right on that BTW.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 AM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did this in my TL when i first got it and luckly nothing happend and my car is still running 100% i hope it's not a big fix for your car. These engines are pretty reliable so hopefully ur ok.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Pro

Lol, am I really supposed to believe that none of you have ever raced? Seriously?

I'm a college graduate, pay my taxes, make a good living, pay all my bills on time... basically what I'm saying is that I'm a responsible, upstanding citizen as far as citizens go....but if you try to come at me with your cool Civic Si, you're gonna get left in the dust.

If that makes me a baby killer, then I'm REALLLY going to hell when I die.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 AM
04Tl

Well, in my case i wasn't racing when i downshifted into 2nd. I was cruising on the highway in 5th gear when i got cutoff off by some crazy ass lady in her bimmer so i slammed on the brakes and went to downshift to 4th gear but since it was my first week into owing a manual car i threw it into 2nd lmao. But ill tell u one thing i didn't crash and it surley slowed me doown hahhahaha.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Yonkers914
Well, in my case i wasn't racing when i downshifted into 2nd. I was cruising on the highway in 5th gear when i got cutoff off by some crazy ass lady in her bimmer so i slammed on the brakes and went to downshift to 4th gear but since it was my first week into owing a manual car i threw it into 2nd lmao. But ill tell u one thing i didn't crash and it surley slowed me doown hahhahaha.
Nah man, I was just saying....I just see all this anti-speed and anti-race stuff from alot, then look at everyones crazy modded TLs, and am supposed to believe that they never (or have never) raced or sped in their cars?

No, I'm not condoning drunk driving or anything, but why would you buy a car that is fast and powerful if all you need is the powertrain of a Geo Metro?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by ajt123
Lol, am I really supposed to believe that none of you have ever raced? Seriously?

I'm a college graduate, pay my taxes, make a good living, pay all my bills on time... basically what I'm saying is that I'm a responsible, upstanding citizen as far as citizens go....but if you try to come at me with your cool Civic Si, you're gonna get left in the dust.

If that makes me a baby killer, then I'm REALLLY going to hell when I die.

I pay my taxes and bills and got me an edumacashion and it gives me the right to race civics and teach them a lesson because my shit smells that good..
Old 03-28-2010, 03:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Majofo
I pay my taxes and bills and got me an edumacashion and it gives me the right to race civics and teach them a lesson because my shit smells that good..
Yeah, that's totally what I meant by that.

I really like the second quote in your signature.

That + your response. A real shocker.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Intermediate

Ok guys i wasnt "Drunk" nor was i technically "racing". I just sped up because i knew my car was 58638745473 times faster than the toyota or whatever the hell was behind me.

As for my car, its at the dealers and i will give you guys the details tomorow because it should be done. I dont think i did as much damage as i thought!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 AM
04Tl

ok gotcha
Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
It should be done? How much it cost you to repair?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:32 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
so how would things be if you were shifting from 3rd to 4th and went a tab bit in the red line range....for example you shift at 6900 rpm 3rd gear to 4th !!! ???
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chyeaaaa
Car kept driving alright and tranny shifted fine(New tranny with maybe 8k miles) but once i was stopped i could hear ticking.. alot of it..
Is that you're only problem? Have you checked your valve clearances? It's not gloom and doom if all you have is "ticking" and the engine still runs fine.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ajt123
Nah man, I was just saying....I just see all this anti-speed and anti-race stuff from alot, then look at everyones crazy modded TLs, and am supposed to believe that they never (or have never) raced or sped in their cars?
I don't think anyone's against driving fast. It's just that the smart ones keep the racing and the triple-digit speeds where they belong, on the race track, and certainly not after "a few drinks."

BTW, I was one of the more vocal people against what the OP did, and my TL is bone stock.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
This thread has run its course.