Downshifted into 2nd insteda of 4th.. FML

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downshifted into 2nd insteda of 4th.. FML

Ok sooo first off i have an 05 Acura TL 6 speed and over the weekend i was taking a late trip after having a few drinks.. I was driving around like 70-90 for a bit and some car was trying to mess with me.. no biggie, i sped up and left em in the dark.. Few min later i see him coming up and i didn't want to let it happen soooooooo boom right into second gear.. It was just for literally an instant but i did see my rev limiter go right up deep in the redline.

Car kept driving alright and tranny shifted fine(New tranny with maybe 8k miles) but once i was stopped i could hear ticking.. alot of it.. It sounds like it would be the valves.. Car runs fine otherwise but i do however notice a loss in torque.

Anybody have an opinions on what could be wrong and what kind of $$ im going to be looking at to fix.. I need some recommendations because right now its bothering me like crazyy!!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Coolest Member

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE... ..
Old 03-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Racer

It could be a ton of things, that's why they put rev limiter's and red lines on cars Always be prepared for the worst...but you hope for the best!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by killersrt
It could be a ton of things, that's why they put rev limiter's and red lines on cars Always be prepared for the worst...but you hope for the best!
Thanks man.. Maybe ill take a vid and upload it so people can hear it. I really wish i knew a bit more of where i stood!! ahh
Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Cheap lesson on two fronts. hope it sticks.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
new tranny on a 4-5 year old car, then you fuck it up again, while racing (getting away from someone) while drunk. Oh man you are just gonna get roasted here
Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myron
new tranny on a 4-5 year old car, then you fuck it up again, while racing (getting away from someone) while drunk. Oh man you are just gonna get roasted here
Tranny was a reverse issue that wasn't fixed properly before i got the car.. Fixed under warranty...

Drunk?? I had a few drinks.. nowhere near drunk..

As for getting flamed.. Ill take it as long as i can get some advice out of it.

Im not gunna lie and say im an angel for advice, im just going to be clear and hopefully get as much detail as possible from another source.. Thanks!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Okay - so this road you were on where you "sped up" after you're already doing 90 - after you've been drinking - was a public road? Bonus points for that one.

And that ticking sound? Well, at least you have a relatively new transmission to go with that new engine you need. That ticking sound you hear is most likely bent valves.

These cars do have a rev limiter designed to prevent the engine from overspeeding but that's all electronic. Once you miss a shift you mechanically overspeed the engine, and their aint no electronics in the world that are going to prevent that from happening.

You get first prize this week. Congrats. Grow up before you kill someone. Okay?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

i mean ppl make mistakes driving manual but i have never ever missed a shift, I've grinded a gear once or twice but never accidently shifted into the wrong gear, man i hope your engine is ok
Old 03-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Pro

Karma's a bitch....
Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
You obviously didn't have enough to drink. I only miss shifts after 3 shots of 150-proof, if I have about 8 shots, I'm right as rain. Next time, POUND some road sodas before flying.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:25 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
alright guys....i think enuff of the flaming....shit happens and people learn from their mistakes....they dont come out of the womb with all the know-hows....

i dont have a definite answer but i think its just in ur head, the ticking noise....dont tell this to a friend and ask him to take a spin in ur ride !!!....make sure ur friend is not drunk .....
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
You F-ed up really bad...

You most certainly floated your valves. Get your wallet out cause the heads are coming off and you need a valve job at a minimum. $3 to $4 K easy if you choose the dealer. Beyond a certain rev speed the valves can't return fast enough and make contact with the pistons. So you've most likely damaged a few valves and maybe even some pistons.

No rev limiter can protect you from this mistake since it's not an issue of cutting fuel. You put direct mechanical energy right into the motor. Spun it up just like one of those flywheel/gyro cars we all had as kids. Others have done the same thing.

Read here --> https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/expensive-engine-damage-risk-manual-transmission-617389/ $3,575 total but he did get some Acura good will.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
.....and don't even think about trying to lie about it to the dealer or repair shop: the over rev is fully logged in the car's computer. They will know.

I wouldn't run the engine anymore. Have it towed to a dealer and get it fixed. It will only get worse from here.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chyeaaaa
Ok sooo first off i have an 05 Acura TL 6 speed and over the weekend i was taking a late trip after having a few drinks.. I was driving around like 70-90 for a bit and some car was trying to mess with me.. no biggie, i sped up and left em in the dark.. Few min later i see him coming up and i didn't want to let it happen soooooooo boom right into second gear.. It was just for literally an instant but i did see my rev limiter go right up deep in the redline.

Car kept driving alright and tranny shifted fine(New tranny with maybe 8k miles) but once i was stopped i could hear ticking.. alot of it.. It sounds like it would be the valves.. Car runs fine otherwise but i do however notice a loss in torque.

Anybody have an opinions on what could be wrong and what kind of $$ im going to be looking at to fix.. I need some recommendations because right now its bothering me like crazyy!!
Link to this thread, along with your vehicle description sent to your local police department. Have fun explaining your drunken mis-shift while racing to them
Old 03-22-2010, 06:14 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
.....and don't even think about trying to lie about it to the dealer or repair shop: the over rev is fully logged in the car's computer. They will know.
True-dat !
Forgot to add that lastpeice of bad news to my bleak reply.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Racer

Ouch...
Old 03-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sT04Louis
Link to this thread, along with your vehicle description sent to your local police department. Have fun explaining your drunken mis-shift while racing to them
Wow, really?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:22 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Originally Posted by KiNG07
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE... ..
+1
Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gen7Milan
Wow, really?
Ok, we will let him kill someone you know. He can learn his lesson then.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
grow up dude....having a few drinks, and then acting like an idiot on the road is just plain stupid....
Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Race Director

Bottom line before this thread gets closed:

Sorry to say, you're screwed and there's nothing anyone here can do to help you.

(Or as some, including me might say, you screwed yourself). Your cheapest (relatively speaking) option is to have it towed now and get it fixed. You can continue to drive it as is, but when the engine goes, the price will be even more expensive, not to mention you'll never know when and where it's going to go.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I love playing forza 3 drunk i got the racing force feedback wheel and everything
Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 PM

@ this thread !!!

members are flaming the OP while he is shitting $$$ bricks !!!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 PM
rcp
Advanced

bent valves. definitely. source out a new head or rebuild it. GL.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone that actually gave me input on what was wrong with "my car". I really appreciate it and i think i'm just going to bring it to the dealer and get it fixed right.. Not worth trying to fix it cheap and then doing it TWICE!!

As for everyone flaming on me.. seriously, i'm 23 years old and i was meeting up with a girl. There is really NO need for soo much hate.. I didn't drive into a guardrail doing 100 mph because i was drunk, i just have a ton of adrenaline and i love speed/power. My car cost me 26g's that I PAID off, i'm pretty sure if i want to abuse it a bit I will.

I came here for support and if i wanted to lie and say it was a me being a noobie dropped into second, i would've. However, i was as specific as possible so i can give you guys accurate details.. If anyone else has any input, cool. If not i will try to update as soon as i find out exactly whats going on with my car.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Unless you have some good cheddar (I'm talkin $4-5k), I wouldn't take it to the dealer.

You have 2 options rt now....save up some money while driving your car for a while and source a COMPLETE used motor with similar or lower mileage. Get an M/T motor if possible so the swap can be a direct replacement and you won't have to swap the engine harness if you get and A/T motor. Those harnesses are a pain to swap on an already assembled motor from what I hear. That will save you labor $

Option 2, stop driving the car ummediately and get a new set of heads for either a type-s TL or base TL. Either will fit. Or you can remove your current heads and get the valves/valvetrain re-done (this will cost more labor wise I believe as they have to remove and re-install your heads AND spend time doing re-doing the valvetrain, I could be wrong tho)

So yea, based on how much expendable cash you got those are your options. A good mechanic can do this for you at a cheaper labor rate or the dealer can also do this for you at a rape rate. Choice is yours!

Please take care driving as I'm sure you know ALL of the risks involved with street racing! G' luck!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
@ this thread !!!

members are flaming the OP while he is shitting $$$ bricks !!!
Sorry OP but I couldn't help but laugh at this....
Old 03-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Shalooby
Okay - so this road you were on where you "sped up" after you're already doing 90 - after you've been drinking - was a public road? Bonus points for that one.

And that ticking sound? Well, at least you have a relatively new transmission to go with that new engine you need. That ticking sound you hear is most likely bent valves.

You get first prize this week. Congrats. Grow up before you kill someone. Okay?
Originally Posted by Adobeman
Get your wallet out cause the heads are coming off and you need a valve job at a minimum. $3 to $4 K easy if you choose the dealer.
the over rev is fully logged in the car's computer. They will know.
Originally Posted by sT04Louis

"shitting bricks"

Damn you guys are no fun.. I would have told him to rev up to redline again to get it back into spec.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djbonsu
Unless you have some good cheddar (I'm talkin $4-5k), I wouldn't take it to the dealer.

You have 2 options rt now....save up some money while driving your car for a while and source a COMPLETE used motor with similar or lower mileage. Get an M/T motor if possible so the swap can be a direct replacement and you won't have to swap the engine harness if you get and A/T motor. Those harnesses are a pain to swap on an already assembled motor from what I hear. That will save you labor $

Option 2, stop driving the car ummediately and get a new set of heads for either a type-s TL or base TL. Either will fit. Or you can remove your current heads and get the valves/valvetrain re-done (this will cost more labor wise I believe as they have to remove and re-install your heads AND spend time doing re-doing the valvetrain, I could be wrong tho)

So yea, based on how much expendable cash you got those are your options. A good mechanic can do this for you at a cheaper labor rate or the dealer can also do this for you at a rape rate. Choice is yours!

Please take care driving as I'm sure you know ALL of the risks involved with street racing! G' luck!
Thanks so much for your input dude. Come to find out my car is still under warranty. Im dropping it off at the dealer this week so they can take a look. I dont mind paying for some of it but if were 4gs or more i wont be a happy camper!!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:22 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You have bent exhaust valves. Make sure the dealer replaces all 12. If they don't, your problem will not get fixed.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Race Director

Your car may still be under warranty, but the warranty won't cover that. Not a cent....
Old 03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Your car may still be under warranty, but the warranty won't cover that. Not a cent....
nothing at all???
Old 03-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by killersrt
True, but in this case the rev limiter/redline will not stop him from over-reving the engine as the wheels push the engine over it's limit.

Probably some bent valves.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
They don't cover customer abuse. And it is logged in the ECU/BlackBox what you did.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Race Director

nothing at all???
Nothing:

Page 12 of your warranty booklet:

The warranties in this booklet do not
cover:

• The failure of any part or
accessory due to:
- Abuse, misuse, accidental
damage
, or acts of God.

Sorry. Just don't want you to get your hopes up. It ain't gonna happen. Once they read the computer log, you're toast. Cha ching.....

Last edited by nfnsquared; 03-23-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Thats why i love the sport shift in the 5AT....

i wasnt drunk and was driving on the highway when some civic comes up and starts revving.....i didnt want to race and hence ignored him....next thing i know is he gets ahead of me and starts throwing shit outta his car....me being pissed i throw my car in 3rd....i was doing like 60-65mph on 5th....by mistake i tap the gear 3 times....on the console where it shows the gears, 2 BLINKS and the car still stays in 3rd....

well i didnt want to stoop down to the civics level so i zoomed passed him and my exit was coming up....so well i controlled my anger and just went my way....

5AT FTMFW !!!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Thanks so much for your input dude. Come to find out my car is still under warranty. Im dropping it off at the dealer this week so they can take a look. I dont mind paying for some of it but if were 4gs or more i wont be a happy camper!!
But it was your fault....
Old 03-23-2010, 02:55 PM
9th Gear

go have a few drinks and the problem will seem less severe.

seriously dude?

you post online that you were out drinking and then speeding and then you let someone in another car "mess" with you so you decided to show him how big a man you are by speeding up.

ooo you showed him, I bet he went home and took a cold shower with his clothes on and cried himself to sleep.
meanwhile you screwed up your car and now you're expecting people here to help you out.

idiot.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:01 PM
9th Gear

and what's to stop any of us from emailing a link to this thread to all the dealerships around Waterbury, ct so they know exactly what you did?

http://www.acura.com/tools/dealerloc...701&radius=100

Quick Reply: Downshifted into 2nd insteda of 4th.. FML